Hello old friend

I've been out for about 8 years. I moved to Germany and brought a basket case Magnum along. It's getting close to completion. I came back to see how the forum was doing and to find a few answers. Just wanted to say hello and post a pic of my almost operational moped.

IMG_8456.JPG

Re: Hello old friend

NICE

Did you leave Portsmouth,OH for Germany? Musta had a good darn reason.

Ports has really gone downhill for a long time though. I ride down there on Rt.335 and 139 every once in a while. I love the Murals they put on the walls.

I did have a good reason. I was working for Brink's in a precious metals storage vault co-located with a refinery. The refinery accidentally (?) purchased gold smuggled out of Columbia by cartels and they lost their licenses. I would have been unemployed. I joined the Air Force and shipped off 2 weeks before they shut down.

Portsmouth, actually that whole region, has gone downhill. Possibly crashed at the bottom of said hill. I loved the natural beauty of the place. I used to ride 335 from Minford to Jackson. On moped and motorcycle. Great roads for riding.

I have a family and young kids. I didn't want them growing up in the center of an opioid epidemic, political polarization, and extremist religious chaos. Germany is great. Safe, quiet, clean. The kids run the neighborhoods with their friends from all over the world. Experiencing culture in a healthy way. I had the opportunity as a kid and now get to see mine do the same.

There's a show/swap meet here called Veterama. I may have spelled that wrong. It's a fairground sized swap meet for classic cars, motorcycles and mopeds. Takes days to see it all. I didn't have the cash last year, but I intend to get a classic motorcycle this year. Stuff is cheap here too. Like a show level 30's-50's motorcycle for 3-4,000€

Right now I'm trying to make a rectifier for my Puch. I have LED signals and an electronic relay. I googled something along the lines of "12VAC to 12V rectifier" and the best results were from here on MA. I love how intelligent and ingenious this community is. So, if I can't figure it out, I'll be in the forums.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I did have a good reason. I was working for Brink's in a precious metals

> storage vault co-located with a refinery. The refinery accidentally (?)

> purchased gold smuggled out of Columbia by cartels and they lost their

> licenses. I would have been unemployed. I joined the Air Force and

> shipped off 2 weeks before they shut down.

>

> Portsmouth, actually that whole region, has gone downhill. Possibly

> crashed at the bottom of said hill. I loved the natural beauty of the

> place. I used to ride 335 from Minford to Jackson. On moped and

> motorcycle. Great roads for riding.

>

> I have a family and young kids. I didn't want them growing up in the

> center of an opioid epidemic, political polarization, and extremist

> religious chaos. Germany is great. Safe, quiet, clean.

What opioid epidemic? Naw America is a great country everyone what’s to come here so they can go to Canada.

Where in Germany do you live?

I live in southern Germany. I drove to Amsterdam once and didn't get to go to Puchshop. I will make another trip up there eventually, without the family, and geek out at the moped store.

That is probably the best looking moped ive seen to date! Im a tomos guy but i would park a tomos for that particular puch! Being completely honest too.

Is your topic title a Babylon 5 reference?

nice looking magnum!

are you going to be able to ride it on the roads? licensed as a motorcycle perhaps?

everything we hear in the states is that european moped laws are strict and draconian when it comes to performance stuff.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Sure, it doesn't run but dang... Looks might fine!

I am not sure about registration. I may have to throw a stock cylinder/exhaust on it to register and then take my chances with riding it illegally?

Or ride it stock here. The laws aren't difficult if you understand German TUV. Vehicles are approved as safe by inspectors. Stock vehicles have already passed this inspection. If you modify a vehicle, you have to pay (and it is expensive) to have an engineer inspect it, approve it, record serial numbers and issue a one of a kind registration for your special vehicle. I was told by a local national that I would likely fail because I have not improved the stock drum brakes sufficiently to safely stop the faster vehicle.

I've seen weird stuff on the roads here. Scooters pulling registered trailers. Quads and tractors can be registered and driven on the road.

I may be buying another motorcycle this month. So, if the Puch is a no go, or 500€ fee, I may just keep it as a garage queen until I move back to the states.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account