Riding double on a Cimatti City Bike, is it a bad idea?

Spencer Gilbert /

I really want to ride double but I'm not cool enough for a toptank, but I've got my bone stock City Bike, and I wanted to know if I can trust the rear rack that holds the gas tank to support a person. It has before for about 30 seconds, but what about for a real ride and someone about 140lbs? If I do trust it I'll mad a pillion seat that mounts to it without drilling any of the og beauty that it is, something that brings the height to the same at the single stock seat lowered all the way.

Pics of a random citybike for reference, and a random 'ped that has a neat seat idea

Thanks yall

Cimatti-City-Bike-c1975-MI-LHS.jpg
angel speedbird moped.jpg

Re: Riding double on a Cimatti City Bike, is it a bad idea?

Yes, it's a bad idea.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, it's a bad idea.

yea, no don't do it. the shocks bottoming out and tire rub and a list of other reasons. not many mopeds do dubs well. and this is definitely on the 'do not ride dubs' list.

the real reason to drive it home is that its MOST unsafe for that person on the back. do not jeopardize someone else's safety for wanting to bring a friend.

Not to mention the fact that a stocker like this is gonna top at like 18 mph with two people on it lol.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

It’s actually illegal here in several states in the US, including my home state of NJ. Back in the late ‘70’s, I was pulled over on my moped by the cops for riding double with my girlfriend. Luckily, all I got was a warning and my girlfriend had to walk home. Needless to say, we broke up shortly thereafter.(edited)

^ Never even thought about that, (the law) it is ok in MN so long as you have foot pegs, but I can't tell you how many Maxi's I used to see with collapsed racks/fenders from people doing it. To ride two up you heed a heavier bike, like a 50V or maybe a Vespa Grande.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^ Never even thought about that, (the law) it is ok in MN so long as you

> have foot pegs, but I can't tell you how many Maxi's I used to see with

> collapsed racks/fenders from people doing it. To ride two up you heed a

> heavier bike, like a 50V or maybe a Vespa Grande.

You can ride dubs easy on a Grande. If you want to ride dubs on something like a city bike you need better rear shocks and better bracing for the swingarm and subframe

Robert Linhares /

Please don't. This great little machine weighs 105 pounds. It was designed for one person. The Mineralli V1 engine will be strained beyond its intended purpose.

The best thing you have done is to ask, and I am thankful for that.

« Go to Topic — end of thread