which you would build - opinion

christian descoteaux /

hey moped army

i currently have two mopeds

1-1979 motobecane 70cc autotec. 15.15 del. doppler variator. eBay exhaust. - keeps stalling then won't start

2-1995 white tomos step through targa a35. ebr front end. tecno exhaust goes about 40 as is. - has a air leak

my question is -if you could only build one , what would it be?

i keep reading on how motobecanes are fickle and problematic. i really like the motobecane style compare to the tomos. mine personally has a ratrodish feel to it. but i read the tomos a35 is a easy to build bike and more reliable

are the motobecanes that unreliable?

fullsizeoutput_500.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_480.jpeg

Re: which you would build - opinion

Fix the air leak on the tomos and leave it alone. Then you'll have a reliable stockish bike. Build the moby since you've already got a pretty good start.

> Saabsonettguy . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Fix the air leak on the tomos and leave it alone. Then you'll have a

> reliable stockish bike. Build the moby since you've already got a pretty

> good start.

I definitely agree, Tomos will be fast enough stock (and dead reliable) leaving you with the Moby to rip dicks on

Moby - install a external condenser and cut the blue/black wire going to the points. Set the timing at 1,2mm btdc with 0.4mm gap at index and ride all day long and into the night every day.

Tomos - give it a leak down test and then change the leaky gasket or seal... then ride it on opposite days to the Moby.

> christian descoteaux Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> hey moped army

>

> i currently have two mopeds

>

> 1-1979 motobecane 70cc autotec. 15.15 del. doppler variator. eBay

> exhaust. - keeps stalling then won't start

>

> 2-1995 white tomos step through targa a35. ebr front end. tecno exhaust

> goes about 40 as is. - has a air leak

>

> my question is -if you could only build one , what would it be?

>

> i keep reading on how motobecanes are fickle and problematic. i really

> like the motobecane style compare to the tomos. mine personally has a

> ratrodish feel to it. but i read the tomos a35 is a easy to build bike

> and more reliable

>

> are the motobecanes that unreliable?

One moped is not enough

christian descoteaux /

unfortunately I'm only going to keep one. i got way too many other projects.

does the 70cc kit turn the tomos into real ripper?if i keep the tomos, my plans were to put on the treatland -tomos A35 alukit party kit.

if i keep the motobecane - add a new pulley, belt, cdi package, condenser, and doppler exhaust pipe.

Motobecane, needs condenser, i HATE The style of it, but I get those bikes, I could make it run right. 50V is my fave moped ever, but hype up the foot peg tTomos, leave French bikes for the true believers.

***Vanilla Thunder*** /

I hate tomos, but that is the one color option I adore. That tomos is SICK. get it running right, put a pipe on it and never touch another thing about it

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Go tomos if you want cheaper parts, easier service, and reliability.

Go Motobecane if you like being frustrated and broken down. Not to mention performance parts are alot more $$$ than a tomos.

That tomos does have a nice color scheme, and with a cheap kit and pipe you can have both decent take off and a nice cruising speed of around 45mph.

I wAnt that white targa ☺

when I read the title I expected to disagree with most people. Like usually the the answer to which bike you should build and which bike I would build are opposites. As Jimmy puts it " if you like being frustrated and broken down" pretty well sums up the challenges I wanna tackle. I mean I don't like being frustrated and broken down but I get more satisfaction overcoming the bigger challenges.

To put it another way, I'd rather try'n kickflip a 5 stair than just keep landing ollies off curbs, even if i'm more likely to get hurt.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

As Jimmy puts it " if you like being frustrated and broken down" pretty well sums up the challenges I wanna tackle.

I totally understand that too, some people like a challenge. But please note, your a little late replying to this post... probably up late last night pushing a moby home?

HAHA Sorry brother...

Still with these 2 options I thought there'd be a clearer winner or loser. I don't really dig all the custom that's gone into that moby already, that seat... And tomos is boring as fuck but to be real honest if I could only have one, it'd be the tomos. just cuz theyre stupid easy and you don't have to think about it. but I wouldn't build it, i'd just ride it as is and not think about it.

if you had to build one, wild out on a stock ported upgrades on an AV10 swapped on the moby, totally capable of very reliable, respectably quick, and without going crazy on aftermarket stuff keeping topend, intake, ignition, trans and cases all stock av10 stuff, you're not spending too much either. get SHA + pipe and a dremel in there.

ACTUALLY I was pushing a sachs home. but it was the insane deluge and thunderstorms I wound up running into that killed me, not any direct fault of the bike... Eventually I did get it started again without the filter on, it was just getting too much water in it and holding the water. But, you are right, I did wind up walking a fair part of my ride home yesterday

Jimmy Cincinnati /

ACTUALLY I was pushing a sachs home.

I respect that Sachs tried to make a cool motor, but in my eyes it was a swing and a miss. The clutches just kind of killed any interest in that motor for me. Not to mention the higher priced performance stuff. While i tell people they make good stockers, i dont encourage a Sachs build beyond some minor upgrades like a pipe or carb. Cue Sachs people to jump in with their awesome builds...

christian descoteaux /

wow thanks for all the input! im going to keep both, for now... build the moby and ride the tomos! couple questions on the moby. do they make a water cooled head kits for the av7? or does anyone have recommended links to build pages i should read , maybe on head work to keep temps down?

« Go to Topic — end of thread