Help importing moped from EU-NL question

Hello Moped Army,

I tried searching the forums for more information but did not really get the question answered. If this is something every noob asks, terribly sorry.

tl;dr I heard it is better when I import my half restored 1969 49cc Honda moped to leave it as parts? What other issues do I need to watch out for when importing the moped from the Netherlands to the USA when it has not been assembled? Anyone have any experience?

More details:

A couple of years ago I moved to the US from Europe leaving most of my stuff including my 1969 Honda CD50. I miss her and want to bring her to the US. Other family member is shipping 1/2 container from NL to US and can put my moped in it. Currently, it is in parts as when I left, I was in the middle of restoring it with a new powder coat on the frame and replacing the motor block (49cc) after the bearings blew. It has been in the family since the 80's and I am only the 3rd owner so sentimental value is there.

I have some questions and could use your advice:

(1) When I import it, I heard it is better to leave it as parts or would it be better to try and assemble it before I ship it?

(2) I read online that when importing a vintage moped it needs to conform to EPA regulations but given it is in parts, I do not think I can get the documentation (the cylinder is still detached from the rest of the motor block).

(3) Any additional suggestions or experiences? I do not even know who to contact when importing it. Once I have it, where I live, I do not need to register it as it is <50cc.

(4) one of my friends is getting rid of his moped and was maybe interested in importing it as well but it is running. This would be more difficult I believe. Also, would want to drop it from his semi-legal 69cc to a 49cc so don't need to register as a motor cycle here. This is not as important to me though.

Again sorry if this is a common thing people ask, just do not know where to turn. Thanks in advance Moped Army!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account