Best places to ride mopeds besides the road?

Hey guys, so my parents are not so keen on letting me ride a moped in the public roads(frustrating but understandable). I am still interested in getting a moped though because half the fun will be working on it anyway. I have a large flat yard that I can ride in, probably could make a good 1.5 mile loop around the perimeter. I have countless large neighborhoods that I could moped through my yard to. I also have some close by parks that have long internal roads used by cars to get to the different trails. Do you guys know of any other good places to ride? I’m just talking generally. If your close to me (I live in Chester county) and know of specific places that would be great too. Thanks!

Re: Best places to ride mopeds besides the road?

Miles upon miles of trails in the woods

Marin Lynch /

Are you talking about legal trails?

> Marin Lynch Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Are you talking about legal trails?

If you have state or federal land close , pick up a county map .

It should show you every 2 track . They make for a lot of fun .

Why would't you ride on the road? Granted you have to pick safer roads and ways to get places, due to speed restrictions, but what is the point of the bike if not to get you places? If you want to trail ride, (nothing wrong with that) you would be better served with a dirt-bike, mopeds are not so great off road. Don't be afraid to be in traffic, but DO use common sense, wear protective gear, and get out of the way of idiot drivers. I honestly feel my experience of riding a moped starting at age 15 helped make me a much safer driver overall, as you really can get hurt on one, so you learn a concept called "situational awareness" a concept lost on about 80% of the motoring public, learn this skill and you can avoid 99% of all accidents, it can't really be taught, you learn it by being "out there", there is no "app" for that. :) Just bear in mind that a stock moped is basically a more comfortable easier to ride bicycle, not any kind of sad excuse for a motorcycle, ride it as such, and you will have no issues. Have fun! (edited)

Marin Lynch /

I wouldn’t ride it on the roads because my parents won’t let me :’(

That's too bad, do they let you ride a bicycle on the road? If they do that's just odd. Get the moped anyway, get it the way you want it, at least you will have it when you can be on your own.

Marin Lynch /

Yeah, it’s weird. I’m not looking for a dirt bike bc I’m not looking for crazy off roading, just gravel and grass/dirt trails to ride.

> Marin Lynch Wrote:

> Yeah, it’s weird. I’m not looking for a dirt bike bc I’m not looking for

> crazy off roading, just gravel and grass/dirt trails to ride.

Riding on gravel or dirt,stay off the front brake if you can. More aggressive tires will go better also.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Get a mini bike. Most mopeds were not designed for off road use. (edited)

If his MBK has the variator, he'll be okay. I'm not sure if it has that though.

I never listened to my parents and all i got was a crummy moped addiction

Mini-bike would be MUCH safer off road, mopeds are for on-road use only, says so on many of 'em, tires too narrow, suspension too weak, the list goes on and on, many have built dirt-peds, but for the money spent to build it, a used dirt-bike will handle better, and be safer off road. Stay AWAY from gravel on a moped, unless you enjoy road-rash or riding at 5mph. (edited)

> Marin Lynch Wrote:

> I wouldn’t ride it on the roads because my parents won’t let me :’(

Probably safer on the roads than some backwoods trail. On the roads, at least there are armies of witnesses with cell phones that have cameras. You could disappear in them woods and never be seen again.

In thinking about this, find yourself a Chappy, they are perfect little trail bikes, too slow for the road, but nice fat tires and close to the ground.

You could always get a lil crafty.

6AEA3EFC-8C3D-4D72-BF96-DC8D95BABD4A.jpeg

If you like just working and wrenching of stuff find some free stuff on the side of the road and get knuckle busting

Now THAT would work! Very cool bike! You made it?

riding minibikes through tall cornfields was always fun

Scoop up a Trail 70, those can handle off-roading and most have a headlight and taillight to make it street legal.

Probably good practice for when you get a car and you will have to take trails to get to your job because they will not let you drive on the roads.

Trouble with riding trails is that some trails have tree huggers who are very aggressive about the trail usage and they go after people on anything with a engine. Easily understood for people who ride horses on trails but otherwise they have some nutz idea that everything on a trail with a motor is a demon driven MX or ATV.

My suggestion would be to negotiate with your folks on using your moped correctly on the public roads, perhaps make an agreement to certain roads are forbidden (due traffic or really stupidly designed or ill maintained roads). That would be the mature thing for them and you to do, realistically.

Make sure either way you have proper helmet, gloves and dress for the types of riding you need to do. Dont let the rules dictated to you sour the experience and fun.

back when i was 16 or 17 starting to ride on the road my old man made me take the motorcycle safety foundation course. maybe if you do the course and get protective gear they'll see your sense of responsibility and be more open to you riding. (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Join the Army. Then you can be self sufficient and buy or do anything you please.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> In thinking about this, find yourself a Chappy, they are perfect little

> trail bikes, too slow for the road, but nice fat tires and close to the

> ground.

+1, the chappy makes a great off road bike!

a few mods later and it's a solid 40mph ripper for commuting. plus you still have low gear on the transfer case for trail riding.

^ Do share these mods? I loved the Chappy I rode, it was just such a dog, 25 mph...it was the 50cc, would love to learn what to do to get one to 40?

punkrock randy /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> In thinking about this, find yourself a Chappy, they are perfect little

> trail bikes, too slow for the road, but nice fat tires and close to the

> ground.

X2 Exactly the bike i had in mind:-)

Buy an e bike. Better for gravel.

being a parent is tough, you put a lot of work into getting a kid to 13 years old and then something in their head goes off like an alarm and they start trying to kill themselves any chance they get.

my parents did the same thing, no two wheelers period... i'd ride any dirtbike, minibike, moped or motorcycle someone would let me but my parents forbade it.

well, look what happened, 15 years later i've wasted almost half my life on mopeds and everything else. the worst part is the people you meet, miscreants, derelicts, some real sickos that do debauched hazardous things all weekend then dr. jeckyl themselfs back behind a computer monday morning pretending to be upstanding members of the community.

its too late son, you've found MA, its downhill from here, tell your parents its over for them and you're one of us now.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ Do share these mods? I loved the Chappy I rode, it was just such a

> dog, 25 mph...it was the 50cc, would love to learn what to do to get one

> to 40?

stephen, i updated my profile page with the mods. for further info you can check my post history.

Very cool, thanks!

`Obey your parents, which gives the promise you will live to a good age on the Earth.'

Graham above played against this and made it...…….. SO FAR. LOL!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account