This is a really dumb question...

Ok so this is stupid I know, just remember I’m new. I’m looking at buying Larry’s 1976 Cimatti City moped. Does this moped have gears? Do I need to shift? I drive a manual suburu and have driven manual dirt bikes before so I would know how to drive it no problem. Also when do you peddle on mopeds? Can you peddle while to motors running for extra power if your bogging down the engine up a hill? Please be nice haha ;) Thank you!! (edited)

Re: This is a really dumb question...

No gears, virtually no mopeds sold in the states have manual transmissions. Very few Sachs have gripshifters but that's about the only bike with a manual transmission you'd see. You can peddle as you're starting off or if you're struggling up a hill.

*pedal

There is no shifting. The clutch engages automatically with engine rpm’s. You pedal to start the engine, and for a little extra oomph when taking off, or climbing hills. The Cimatti City Bike would be a great choice for a first moped. Especially from Larry. You can be assured it will be in excellent condition, and running great in its stock configuration. The Minarelli V1 engine is strong, reliable, and easy to maintain and repair. Parts are readily available for this bike. It would be an excellent choice, in my opinion. Although I have not personally purchased a bike from him, I have purchased parts, and he has a stellar reputation on this site, and is renowned for his impeccable machines. If I were closer, that city bike would already be mine, along with a few other gems.

Pedaling the Minarelli might get you 5 - 10 miles per hour as it doesn't have a pedal chain like a Puch or Hobbit, etc.

After any distance, you might get an asthma or hear attack if you weren't in shape.

Haha good to know thank you guys!

Yeah, you def don’t want to pedal a Minarelli powered bike very far. It’s way low geared, like pedaling a ten speed in first or second gear. But it can help you up a steep hill.

Most mopeds are like this, pedals are for starting the engine, and maybe a little extra oomph off the line, you can walk the bike faster. :)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account