Found this what do you guys think?

He says it runs and drives, I love the Puch’s style, is this a good price or should I offer lower?

A68FA759-F2B6-4EB9-AE0A-E7536555879C.png

Re: Found this what do you guys think?

Show up cash in hand and make an offer. Does it have a title? Can't tell what kit it has.

Marin Lynch /

Yes has title, he also has original 50 cc kit that came with it. It’s pretty far away so I don’t want to go there unless I’m getting it.

Marin Lynch /

Should I offer 350?

Robert Linhares /

Before you go see it:

How many miles on it?

Missing front fender.

Missing plastic panels.

Runs but needs timing?

Chinese parts?

70 cc kit? Who installed it and did not get the timing correct?

Lots of red flags here.

/\ agreed. In your original post, you said you had time and not money. Ask about tyres and consumable parts. Its a good enough price with a title, but anything less is more in your pocket.

If it's a long haul trip and you really want it tell him you'll take it for $400 and get there fast. Nice peds like this go quickly. Someone here could already have found it and it could be gone. If the kit is good one and it hasn't overheated I'd say that's a deal.

> Robert Linhares Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Before you go see it:

>

> How many miles on it?

>

> Missing front fender.

>

> Missing plastic panels.

>

> Runs but needs timing?

>

> Chinese parts?

>

> 70 cc kit? Who installed it and did not get the timing correct?

>

> Lots of red flags here.

This is good information. Two speed Za50 engine. Have the pucks between changed? How capable are you working on it? Many prefer the E50 engine for its simplicity. Sometimes the learning curve on ANY old moped can be painful and expensive. More mistakes = more money spent.

Marin Lynch /

He said it no longer has odometer but claims he only uses it rarely. He says the ignition timing should be changed for the new kit. He has plastic covers for it but no fender. He has the origenal 50cc kit that comes with the moped.

Marin Lynch /

Says tires are great but rear fender has some dings.

Marin Lynch /

He said this...

2622C9F9-59F5-4FC1-AD85-D6F26F3E0629.png

dude go for it and take all the spare parts while your there. have the seller start it for you make sure nothing critical is messed up. I'm sure the community will help you get it fine tuned.

I would ask if he changed those pucks already. Had he not, it may be trashed inside. Is he on moped army? If so their could be more info on that particular bike in older threads.

Marin Lynch /

Just asked him, waiting on response.

Marin Lynch /

He said no, has stock gearing too, I’m asking how long the kit has been on it.

Marin Lynch /

He says it’s been on since last fall but hasn’t run it much.

You can do better, $200 or walk away

Marin Lynch /

Do you guys agree? I want to make the best decision.

Is this your first moped? Za50 requires special tools, knowledge and procedures over many other makes. Not the best first moped to jump into honesty.

Listen to them! The za50 is tricky, and you need some pretty advanced mechanical skills to do maintenance on it. The pucks must be changed or the transmission will be destroyed, if it’s not already. If you’re super handy, and good at shimming and setting end float, go for it. If that doesn’t mean anything to you, you better pass! Run away. But it may be a fair deal, for someone who knows what they’re doing.

Marin Lynch /

Ok thank you I’m going to pass.

Robert Linhares /

Marin, I read the posts.

You are making the correct decision.

If the seller comes at you again...just pass. I good seller wants the moped to go to a good home. Money is secondary. This is not the correct machine for you.

There will be, however, another moped that is just right for you.

Suggestion: post a "I want to buy a great first moped" on the buy and sell section.

The old farts on this community will fall all over themselves trying to help you.

The seller: you don't know him and you owe him nothing.

I'd just try to buy it for 300. There's nothing about a ZA50 you can't learn and 300 seems about right for a maxi without a front fender.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> I'd just try to buy it for 300. There's nothing about a ZA50 you can't

> learn and 300 seems about right for a maxi without a front fender.

Bas, the problem I see with that is if he looses a crank seal and cant ride it or burns it up because of a vacuum leak. These are not the easiest motors to change a 40 year old seal on. And nobody knows for sure that p.o. changed those. Its the bottom ends on these motors that are difficult. Anyone can slap a kit or top end on one and tune so to speak.

Not saying it aint worth the money.

Sure it could be difficult or maybe even too hard for the OP to fix it up, but its cheap and if you're willing to learn all the info can be found. Discouraging someone just because a Za50 is slightly more difficult isnt what mopeds are about.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Sure it could be difficult or maybe even too hard for the OP to fix it

> up, but its cheap and if you're willing to learn all the info can be

> found. Discouraging someone just because a Za50 is slightly more

> difficult isnt what mopeds are about.

In that case, I’d advise buying it if the OP can afford to let it sit, and buy an e50 powered bike(or motor) first to learn on, then move up to the za. He doesn’t need that challenge right off the bat. Too easy to screw up, or get discouraged and give up on mopeds altogether.

Marin Lynch /

Yeah I’ve only got the money for one moped rn haha. Thank you guys!

I would say go for it. You are prepared to pay the $400, so offer less, say $275-300. If you end up settling at $325-350, you're already in credit. Then I would take off the 70cc kit and all associated stuff and sell them to make back more money. Put on the original 50cc cylinder. Keep the Biturbo and order a mesh air filter, pucks, seals,bearings and gaskets with the money you would have saved/made. Do a rebuild, service, time it and a little bit of porting of the intake/exhaust ports. Use your time to do this right and you'll have come out the other side less than $400 and with a sweet running stocker.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account