Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Firstly imma Brit so my prices are different

But my first Puch Maxi was £140 needed a full rebuild.

At my latest invoice count I’m at around £1800 but my bike is quite fast and I’ve bought somethings more than once as I’ve developed the bike further and further.

I would think for around £100-150 you can rebuild a stock bike with an aftermarket crank and replace all the parts below and have a really reliable bike.

you’ve got everything that moves to replace plus seals, headset bearing, wheel bearings, tyres, tubes, cables (maxi has 4, speedo,starter, front and rear brake) crank, seals, sprockets, chains, gaskets, possibly brake pads and clutch pads also.

That’s before performance modifications.

but For £2-300 you could rebuild a maxi with a few performance parts and easily have a 40-45mph round city/town ripper!

Or for £1000+ a 60mph bike is possible

It really depends what you want and if you’re doing this hobby for yourself or to compete with the next guy a 25-30mph stock bike may be all you want.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

500 for the bike (get a puch or tomos that runs good and doesn't need anything else)

100-150 for a helmet (HJC as people have said before is good and snell rated)

i don't know about PA, but in MD:

30 for tag/title

75 for a year of liability insurance

so if PA is anything like MD you are looking at 700-800 in total if everything runs good and if you have to buy a helmet. you can spend as much as you want, like performance exhaust or adding a kit, or aesthetic customization like swapping to different wheels or repainting the bike.

also a lot of these things are over 30 years old so like someone else said do not rely on it as your only transportation. even new ones can break down on you, but the beauty is that they are so simple that you can typically fix them on the side of the road in 15 minutes (if you carry a tool kit and a few spare parts).

there is a pretty big scene in philly so you could start by looking there for bikes. of course you will need a way to get there and get it back. a pickup or van would be best, but i managed to fit a tomos in a camry trunk by draining the gas and transmission oil from the moped and taking off the turn signals and pedals on one side. had to tie the trunk shut and it was kind of sketchy but it worked out in the end. (edited)

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

I've managed to roughly break even. I kept very close track of expenses and incomes. buying, fixing and selling bikes to make the hobby work is possible. But only if you give your time no value. it is hobby. My main goal is entertainment, passing time w pals or whatever, vrsus I dunno whatever other dumb shit i'd waste time on.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > LSLB Lou Daddy Jr. Jr. Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > If you don’t already have tools/2 stroke oil/good lock/good helmet,

> add

>

> > d $2-300 dollars to the cost of your first bike.

>

> Best at least double that amount , as a decent helmet will cost 300

> bucks and more .

My Snell-rated AGV was just over $200, but I agree that generally the more expensive a new helmet is, the better it is (not counting rare vintage brain buckets). I just don’t think I could bring myself to get a brand new Arai or anything like that though.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

> LSLB Lou Daddy Jr. Jr. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>I just don’t think I could bring myself to get a

> brand new Arai or anything like that though.

Agreed .

I'd probably have to be pretty deep into racing or professional stunt ...

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

> Mike M Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 500 for the bike (get a puch or tomos that runs good and doesn't need

> anything else)

>

> 100-150 for a helmet (HJC as people have said before is good and snell

> rated)

>

> i don't know about PA, but in MD:

>

> 30 for tag/title

>

> 75 for a year of liability insurance

>

> so if PA is anything like MD you are looking at 700-800 in total if

> everything runs good and if you have to buy a helmet. you can spend as

> much as you want, like performance exhaust or adding a kit, or aesthetic

> customization like swapping to different wheels or repainting the bike.

>

> also a lot of these things are over 30 years old so like someone else

> said do not rely on it as your only transportation. even new ones can

> break down on you, but the beauty is that they are so simple that you

> can typically fix them on the side of the road in 15 minutes (if you

> carry a tool kit and a few spare parts).

>

> there is a pretty big scene in philly so you could start by looking

> there for bikes. of course you will need a way to get there and get it

> back. a pickup or van would be best, but i managed to fit a tomos in a

> camry trunk by draining the gas and transmission oil from the moped and

> taking off the turn signals and pedals on one side. had to tie the trunk

> shut and it was kind of sketchy but it worked out in the end.

Now double that when your wife or girlfriend wants one too.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Probably Fred /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've managed to roughly break even. buying, fixing and selling bikes to make the hobby work is possible. But only if you give your time no value. it is hobby. My main

> goal is entertainment, passing time w pals or whatever,

Yeah me too over the years, just breaking even pretty much/having the hobby pay for itself, wish it still was that way,

I’d buy and fix up a bike or two to sell every year, I used to love going to motorcycle/scooter shops, junkyards, swap meets to buy parts and stuff and sell it here on the forum or by word of the mouth for a reasonable price,

Even new stuff like a pipe I would try it out and if I didn’t like it I would sell it here on MA forum for less and gave shipped price, most times shipping price was more but I was always happy to see the parts getting used/peoples bikes running,

But lately I’ve made nothing/sell hardly anything, don’t go looking for anything to sell, it’s not worth it when I see people buy stuff from me and then resell it for double the price on fleeceBay or Gaglist or even back on MA forum whatever,

Cant buy things now for what I sold them for,

I have been totally blessed over the years with being able to buy small two cycle Motorcycles, Moped’s and parts for cheap or free and I’m thankful for that, I still got a few bikes and parts to play with, and anything I’ll sell, or give away it will be to people that I know that will use it not flip it,

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Tomos, Puch (I like their style best), minerelli, Honda, or Sachs.

Good choices, however i would advise you skip Sachs. Good stock bikes, but the clutches are really weak and performance options are much slimmer. I find Honda's to be a bit more annoying to work on compared to a Puch or Tomos as well. I think the ultimate choices for a new beginner are Tomos, Puch, and Mineralli (FYI Mineralli is a motor that most italian companies use). With all that said, if there was a running nice Sachs for $300 i would probably be riding a Sachs. But given the option i would opt for Tomos, Puch, or Mineralli anything. Parts availability (both stock & performance) and ease of service is what really makes these bikes stellar.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Totally normal JBOT /

Money is awful.

Don't chase money.

Chase experiences and learning.

Buy a few things then break them and learn. Then get used shit and play with it. Learn from your mistakes. Find garbage parts and adapt it to your bike. Garbage is free. It's knowledge that will save you from having to work to acquire money only to spend it on more garbage .

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Mopeds are the least expensive mode of personal transportation that does not require you to be the power source. Over time you will need to develop your mechanical skills a little towards mopeds, and get a basic metric tool set (if you don't already have) and the applicable flywheel puller. Most everything can be reasonable wrenched in a small work area AND there is a lot of good guidance here if there are any questions about your ride for maintenance or repairs in the future.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THAT POST

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I’ve got a few Minarelli powered bikes for sale in the $400-$600 price

> range if you’re interested. The only issue is that I’m about 2 hours

> from where you live.

^This would likely be the best deal for a reliable bike that you will see in a long time, very much worth arranging to make that 2 hours each way road trip, you will be getting a very honourable deal from the gentleman !!!

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Probably Fred /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Money is awful.

>

> Don't chase money.

>

> Chase experiences and learning.

>

>

JBOT Rings true !

Money is just a tool to help you survive and gain experience and knowledge!

I would rather have my like new condition 66 telecaster, my telecaster custom, a 1965 fender Princeton reverb amp, sun bata bass head and 2-15” bottom, sure PA with two 6-10” cabinets which all were was totally clean and mint instead of money,

I would’ve rather kept my Kawasaki Enduro bikes G100, F7, F 11, or Kaw Big Horn other then money too,

Many cars too, 68 383 fury, 440 dodge Monaco cop car, 72 satellite Sebring plus, dodge RT, 72 Chevy Camaro, my 84 Bayliner boat with Chrysler 85 horsepower outboard as well as so many other bikes and guitars/equipment other than money,

There a still a few things that I owned most my life that I still have which may only be worth a few hundred dollars but to me are priceless!

Not to mention film pictures which nowadays pictures are worth nothing but back in the day pictures or super eight movies Were very expensive thing to have many of!

But you need money to provide for your family so in times lean so you got to sell what you got, Who cares about paper (well cloth paper) you can’t take it with you!

But like the T-shirt says “he who dies with the most toys wins” ha ha

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Marin Lynch /

Yes rebel Moby I agree completely. I have a few more questions that I’ve been wondering about. Can you ride mopeds on the grass or are they strictly hard terrain only? How loud are they in comparison to say a motorcycle or dirt bike? How far can one travel on one tank of gas on an unmoded bike? Thanks guys again this has been soooooo informative! (edited)

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

I run my grandsons around the property,when it's dry. Maybe 90- 100 mpg. I think stock mufflers are quiet. Just my opinion.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

My FA50 is so quiet that some folks ask if it runs while it sits in front of them idling .

I worry about gas almost every week , just so I don't run out . Depending on how I ride , I get anywhere from about 70 - 90 some MPG .

Oh , I have to keep an eye on the oil tank , so I don't forget it's there . I need to add oil about every 5 - 7 tanks of gas ( maybe less often , cause I don't keep track ) , again , depending on how I ride .

And , about the only surface I don't care for is sand , unless it's hard packed .

All other surfaces are traversed without much ado .

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Robert Linhares /

Safety

Let's talk safety.

It is very refreshing to read the flood of excellent advice.

I am proud of this posting.

The old farts with tons of knowledge are waiting in line to help this young man.

This is what America is all about.

Now, if I could get you all to be San Francisco Giants fans, the world would be a better place.

I digress:

I am a bicycle rider with 70 years of experience.

Listen to me when I tell you how to deal with traffic.

You are very small out there.

Cars run in packs.

There are swarms of them...then there are none.

Pull to the side of the road when they approach.

Be patient.

Cars today roar by like they are being chased by then devil.

Let them go.

When the coast is clear, look twice in each direction.

Proceed. Enjoy your ride. Be amazed how these little machines give us so much pleasure.

Albert Einstein said you are either amazed by nothing or everything.

The magneto engineering has me completely astonished.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Marin Lynch /

Thank you for that Robert. To be honest right now I don’t think I would ride in the roads. I have a very large and flat yard that I could make a sort of loop around the perimeter, could probably get a solid 1.5-2 mile loop from it. I also have a ton of neighborhoods(too many) that I could run through and set up a roatation so that I don’t hit the same one more than once a month in case people get annoyed by the noise. I also have this park close by that’s giant and has a ton of gravel roads for cars that run through it so you can get to the parking lots. I feel I’ll be satisfyed with my riding options that I won’t have to consider roads yet( either way my parents are not keen on letting me ride on the roads) maybe I’ll bring it to collage and ride it on the roads between classes and double bolt it too a bike lock.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Hey Marin, I’m also newer to this Hobby and Im 21 so i know what it’s like being around your age and getting into this hobby on a realistic income for someone or age compared to being grown and having play money for everything.

Vintage Mopeds are definitely something that the older cats appreciate and it turns heads but it’s definitely not the cheapest hobby especially when finding parts I saved a Honda Hobbit a few months ago from being trashed in a Junk Yard for $50 and what I can tell you from what I learned being in this hobby for a few months is that things can get as expensive as you let them. For instance if you own a rarer moped, parts can sometimes become a pain just to even find the part and when you do they cost a ridiculous amount for a small bracket here or a Headlight there,

and if you are that type of person who likes to have every bell and whistle the bike came with when restoring, such as the plastic covers for the Honda hobbit like the horn cover, footrest, chain cover and belt cover can cost a good penny BUT you can always cut corners for cosmetics and save a lot of money BUT who doesn’t like a Kickass Looking Vintage Moped. I’ve restored a vintage Jetski and a BMW i drive everyday and out of both the forums I found for those two Vehicles neither one has been as helpful as the Old Heads on this forum. Lots of information on everything vintage Moped you could think of on here also try Treatland.com if you really can’t find parts there a weird company but do great business but carry some things you never think you would find for you bike. Good luck (Here’s a sneak peak of my Hobbit BEFORE and AFTER, It’s almost done) (edited)

A3284F46-029B-45F7-8071-42E71BED56BE.png
BE8696DA-DDBD-4D4B-9054-C62DE56820A8.jpeg

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Marin Lynch /

It looks awesome!!!!! If you don’t mind me asking, how much did it cost you to do that restoration? Thanks for the advise!

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

I appreciate that, thank ya! And roughly with the paint, engine rebuild I did with gaskets as well and so forth, TJT Racing Variator, White wall tires, Finding a headlight that wasn’t destroyed now that wasn’t the easiest to find for the right price same thing with the Gas Tank just really good timing with a some guys parting out a few hobbits on the Buy + Sell Forum, the Decals as well everything roughly ran me $600 maybe $700 on the safe side

(I’m probably forgetting a few things) To nearly finish the bike and I’ve done everything myself to save money as well i finished this whole bike in less then a month only working on it on the weekends and if I wanted to truly finish it like I’m gonna I need to buy the Plastic Covers for the Belt and the Chain as well as the Foot Rest so we’re looking around $200 give or take just for those Cosmetic parts because the Foot Rest are hard to find now a days not destroyed. so I’ve put Roughly little under $1000 into it which seems like a lot but I love my project and to me having a 41 year old moped run and look New and having people ask me “Whats That?!” is something I enjoy and don’t mind spending a little extra money when i have it here and there the Key is everything in moderation if you can get parts little at a time since at our age we’re not making a 85K a year salary you know, you can buy a part here and there every Paycheck you can slowly start building up a bike piece by piece till you have a finished product not everything has to be bought at once unless you got the dough for it haha but if you need any help this website most likely has the answer to your question. (edited)

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> My FA50 is so quiet that some folks ask if it runs while it sits in

> front of them idling.

Thats gold there and its happened to me once or twice. Ya just need to add more oil to the gas. (edited)

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

PA sucks for Moped fees. $120 to register and title. Ridiculous. Insurance is required, $75.00 Helmets not required, but recommended. Where in PA are you? If you are anywhere near Allentown, I'd be happy to meet up and help you out.

Cheers!

Lee

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Marin Lynch /

I’m in Chester County.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Brad William /

For me much of the appeal remains keeping it cheap and simple. If you own a more "substantial" motorcycle at the same time it helps in keeping perspective. A ride across town or twenty miles away are entirely different experiences whether on my puch or my BMW or my Honda civic. At one time I started down the path of more money more speed with the puch and began to realize I was losing that distinction that makes the moped a special joy. 30 miles from home on the puch. It's adventure. It's cheap cheap simple cheap tiny piston, barely a gearbox, no license, no insurance, cheap, .7 gal of gas and still enough to get home, cheap, light weight, cheap, go down alleyways, let cars pass cuz I'm in no goddamn hurry cheap cheap relaxing can't stop smiling cheap.

When I started to spend more to go faster some of this mostly inexplicable joy began to fade. Wtf am I doing in traffic now at 40+ mph? I have a perfectly good motorcycle at home for that. Fewer and fewer alleys and pathways and little off roads explored. Theres little put-putting torque left now that I've up geared the ratio and shit just fly's by in a blur now anyway. So of course, YMMV. I like anymore to keep the cheap ethos alive with the peds. For me the quest is to make the ride as reliable as possible for as little money as possible. And preserve what makes these glorified motorbicycles so basically fun.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I’ve got a few Minarelli powered bikes for sale in the $400-$600 price

>

> > range if you’re interested. The only issue is that I’m about 2 hours

>

> > from where you live.

>

> Most people on this site would love the opportunity to buy one of

> Larry's bikes....

>

> His worst condition Bike is better than most anything on Craigslist.

Yep,

Bought one last year and delivered two others to other buyers.

Gonna be heading back to Jersey again in a couple weeks, so if ya need one delivered we all three could work something out.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

What he said...

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Mopeds don't have to be loud - no louder than perhaps a Lawnboy 2 stroke mower - so yeah some neighbours would get annoyed if they were a bit apt to be that way if perhaps you were lapping a block on a Sunday morning before church time (or that sort of thing) but generally they are the quietest compared to larger bikes or dirt bikes (or pin on motors thrown onto a bicycle).

Here in CanadaLand there are some asphalt paved roads, old tar and gravel, gravel and a few dirt that used to be gravel green roads that I regularly travel. I generally run Duro HF319 tires which are dual sport tires (similar to Shinko SR241 but you might need Shinko 244 if you have more off than on road riding) and the bikes are not complaining too much about the journeys. I am not harsh on the mopeds and think they are MX or even semi-dirt bikes, that is a function of my MX and Trial rides.

Mopeds sip gas, a good portion of my fuel is covered by collecting the pop cans of my coworkers (5¢ a can refund that none of my coworkers ever want to return so I cash them in each Saturday)used to cover all of my fuel expenses but the cost of gas went up and the recycling deposit for a pop can stayed at 5¢...

> Marin Lynch Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes rebel Moby I agree completely. I have a few more questions that I’ve

> been wondering about. Can you ride mopeds on the grass or are they

> strictly hard terrain only? How loud are they in comparison to say a

> motorcycle or dirt bike? How far can one travel on one tank of gas on an

> unmoded bike? Thanks guys again this has been soooooo informative!

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Brad William /

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Mopeds don't have to be loud - no louder than perhaps a Lawnboy 2 stroke

> mower - so yeah some neighbours would get annoyed if they were a bit apt

> to be that way if perhaps you were lapping a block on a Sunday morning

> before church time (or that sort of thing) but generally they are the

> quietest compared to larger bikes or dirt bikes (or pin on motors thrown

> onto a bicycle).

>

> Here in CanadaLand there are some asphalt paved roads, old tar and

> gravel, gravel and a few dirt that used to be gravel green roads that I

> regularly travel. I generally run Duro HF319 tires which are dual sport

> tires (similar to Shinko SR241 but you might need Shinko 244 if you have

> more off than on road riding) and the bikes are not complaining too much

> about the journeys. I am not harsh on the mopeds and think they are MX

> or even semi-dirt bikes, that is a function of my MX and Trial rides.

>

> Mopeds sip gas, a good portion of my fuel is covered by collecting the

> pop cans of my coworkers (5¢ a can refund that none of my coworkers ever

> want to return so I cash them in each Saturday)used to cover all of my

> fuel expenses but the cost of gas went up and the recycling deposit for

> a pop can stayed at 5¢...

>

> > Marin Lynch Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Yes rebel Moby I agree completely. I have a few more questions that

> I’ve

>

> > been wondering about. Can you ride mopeds on the grass or are they

>

> > strictly hard terrain only? How loud are they in comparison to say a

>

> > motorcycle or dirt bike? How far can one travel on one tank of gas on

> an

>

> > unmoded bike? Thanks guys again this has been soooooo informative!

Bottle deposits to fuel a moped. As cheap goes, that's as close to putting up a sail and tacking your way along the road as I've heard yet

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

I don't think pipes get loud enough for evil looks from neighbors until you put on a performance pipe. It was certainly that way in my neighborhood.

Rebel's right, they're not any louder than a lawn mover if they're stock.

I wouldn't ride down the street on a Harley anytime, but heck, these bikes are my cars. The neighbors will just have to deal with it.

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

4 even if it's loud if you have consideration your neighbors will appreciate it like 9 to 9 as a general rule for ripping out of the house if you go any earlier or later cut off the engine and Coast in if possible or just shut off the engine and pedal it trust me in the long run it's worth it because they're your neighbors and they're not going anywhere

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account