How pricey is this hobby?

Hey everyone! I’m new to the hobby. I am 18 and a senior in high school so money is obviously tight. Before I dive in and buy a bike (which I have already gotten a lot of good advise on), how expensive is this hobby? Like how much do you think I can get a decent working moped for? I don’t care if I have to work on it I have time to spend but not so much on the money side. I don’t need a rare or even a moped in great condition, just one that I can ride and work on when I have time. Thank you!

Re: How pricey is this hobby?

Obviously buy the best you can afford, but usually factor in things like new tyres, brake shoes and a full face helmet. Try not to buy someone elses non runner project that "just needs a carb tune". Just try to find a strong runner, that is in good condition.

$500 should start you out safely with a run of the mill bike.

Look up the laws in your state. Possibly money for plates, insurance, license etc. depending on your state.

Yes to all of the above, you can sink WAY too much money into these, but you can also get by on the cheap (what I do) :) I have had my Honda since '98, bought for about $300, cleaned the carb and had a crank seal replaced, it has run reliably every season since, just had new tires mounted last season. Had about 150 miles on it when I got it, has almost 1,500 on it now. Cheapest transportation I have ever owned. I have never modded it, it is slow only about 32 when I was lighter, about 28-30 now as I have gotten fatter in my old age. :/ But it runs every time. I can't say enough good about a Honda, downside, they are ridiculously over-engineered, but get the manual, if you can read paper you can understand what you see. People mod the hell out of these bikes for more speed, but you really have to have a good understanding of 2 stroke engines to build one that will not blow up if you move beyond original specs. It can be done, but it is not bolt and go, you have to change a lot to get it right. You have to tune and have a "feel" for the engine....listen to it, smell it, know a good sound from from bad etc, if this is you mod away if not rock it stock, buy a running riding bike for your first. Everything "ran when parked". Gas tank condition is critical, dirty fuel systems kill mopeds. Don't buy on impulse, read lean, and you will make a sound purchase. Be into the paperwork needed in your state, some require title's, plates and insurance, some require none of the above, know the laws, most cops don't. ride legal. Most importantly, have fun, it's "just mopeds". :) Another thing RIDE the thing, they need to be used to stay in good shape, if you have to put it up, say for winter, close the petcock, run the engine, (it is not a motor, it is an ENGINE) until it will no longer start, It will then start in the spring. Just do it. 20+ yrs riding these things, I know from what I say, I don't know how to kit a machine or tune it in when it is done, but I can keep a stocker going as long as I need. Non-Ethanol gasoline is the best to use in small engines, not a 100% requirement, but if you can get it use it. (edited)

I was 18 when I got into mopeds (I'm 31 now), for my poor high school self it was the perfect thing to be able to tinker with having a low budget. If you keep it stock it'll run for a long time for not a lot of money.

Rule number one! DO NOT BUY A MOPED FOR BASIC TRANSPORTATION!!!!.

It's a great hobby and we tend to give each other deals on simple parts and such...but it can get expensive if you want to make a blaster.

You want a Puch, minerelli,tomos or Sachs for a first bike. All four brands are excellent for reliability, but the Sachs is lacking aftermarket gofast compatibility...you can do it, but it's much more intensive than the other three...that being said, the only bike I would tell you to stay away from are the French ones, Peugeot and motobecane...just my opinion..

But! My first bike was a moby! I got very lucky and found an almost perfect condition bike. But i still had to replace motor mounts, tires, cables the carb and intake to make it something I was comfortable riding for long distances.

When buying a bike it's all the luck of the draw, you might find an old man selling a really nice Puch for $250. Or a shitty one like that moby you posted...But that puch is still gonna need tires, tubes, lubrication, and most likely a rebuild(mainly for crank seals), the Moby needs all that, and alot more...

I would recommend that you make a post in the buy/sell forum looking for a bike that has already had the basics taken care of ..with a budget of $500-$700 bucks you should be able to pick up a nice bike in your area..then get an envelope and put $40 a month in it...that's your ohh shit, and or go fast budget.

IMO, it depends less on finding the right bike and more about having the right tools and workspace.

These aren't very difficult machines for the most part but their scarcity can make you hesitant to jump in and start tearing shit apart.

If you have tools, know how to use them, and have a room in your house that you can get filthy (preferably not where you eat or sleep), then you're nearly 3/4 of the way there already.

If you DONT, it may be in your best interest to take a vocational class on small engine repair.

Most VOC classes will teach you basics but you provide your own project to work on. They'll provide most, if not all, of the tools you'll need and someone there to stop you before you make a costly mistake.

Plus, a lot of old timers teach those classes and old timers (in my experience) think mopeds are cool/weird little bikes so you may get even extra attention.

Welcome and good luck! (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ve got a few Minarelli powered bikes for sale in the $400-$600 price range if you’re interested. The only issue is that I’m about 2 hours from where you live.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I recommend a nice, newer Tomos moped. YOu can find them for $500-$1000 (depending on model) on CL. A newer one will not give you too much trouble, but expect to do some repairs as you go. Keep it stock for awhile and get use to riding it / fixing basic stuff. Than if you want to go further start slowly modifying it.

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I’ve got a few Minarelli powered bikes for sale in the $400-$600 price

> range if you’re interested. The only issue is that I’m about 2 hours

> from where you live.

Most people on this site would love the opportunity to buy one of Larry's bikes....

His worst condition Bike is better than most anything on Craigslist.

Tomos or puch. Keep it stock for reliability. Get a second one to blast once you feel comfortable working on one (if you have the space)

Invest in a good bike lock, or even 2. You may not stop a thief but you could slow him down.

Put a sticker somewhere visible on the bike and take a picture with you in it. That way when it does get stolen it can be idenified easier.

I never turned a wrench until I was over 40. These engines are pretty easy.

I still ask stupid questions here on the forum...thats how I learn. Get past the smart assery and you may find that one peice of advice that will fix your problem.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The reason is called a hobby is you can justify spending any kind of money on it

Run away

That being said any hobby runs into serious money when you get serious don't ever think you're going to make money off of mopeds it's sort of like the crazy girlfriend who trashes your whole life but you can't get away from her you can quote me

And went all everything goes bad Andrew Assurant and the insurance adjuster we'll just say it's worth five hundred bucks even if you put two or three grand into it so you better drive it really good or insure it very well

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> > Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I’ve got a few Minarelli powered bikes for sale in the $400-$600 price

>

> > range if you’re interested. The only issue is that I’m about 2 hours

>

> > from where you live.

>

> Most people on this site would love the opportunity to buy one of

> Larry's bikes....

>

> His worst condition Bike is better than most anything on Craigslist.

I could not agree more.

I bought two puchs for $200 bucks with A box of spare parts including a za50. I sold the za50 for $255.

I spent very lil money getting them both running again. New spark plug , flush the tank , carb clean , brake clean, pack the bearings....etc

So now I get to ride around pretty much next to free. Mopeds the only motor bikes I’v owned that I actually made money from.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

But you being 18 and how much money you can save up if I had known about mopeds I could have saved a whole ton of money first thing I did was went out and buy a car when I got a job and then there's the bills for the car the first job I probably didn't even net any money in my pocket 1 moped properly maintained and service with proper driving etiquette full insurance do not skimp on insurance it will be the best thing you ever did if everything goes wrong triple stack uninsured underinsured always if you got a job hey 88 bucks ain't much 4 full boat insurance with concierge and you will get to work even if the bike does breakdown cuz they'll pick you up 24-hour roadside the whole nine yards agreed value on the bike now this is why it can save you a lot of money every time you spend money on your moped everything fuel insurance repairs everything your plate registration you're freaking cost for your title get yourself a nice Bank and every time you fill up you figure how much it would cost to fill up a car put that difference in the jar every time you get a flat tire think about how much would cost to fix your car put the money in the jar when your transmission goes or the clutch figure out how much it would be for a car put it in the jar I bet you by the time you're 22 you can walk into a Porsche dealership and buy a couple year old Porsche cash and still have enough money left over for the taxes and tags and a full tank of gas to leave the place and probably enough for a nice dinner

Probably Fred /

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Rule number one! DO NOT BUY A MOPED FOR BASIC TRANSPORTATION!!!!.

>

> It's a great hobby and we tend to give each other deals on simple parts

> and such...but it can get expensive if you want to make a blaster.

>

Ya sometimes you get lucky though! Like me,

My first Moped I bought new for 299$ and tax for basic transportation served me well for three seasons with little or no problems!

Even though I owned a car at 16 years old my father would not let me put it on his insurance (though I did sneak and drive sometimes) I owned a motorcycle but it was only a light 175 cc and it was easy for someone to pick up and steal so I couldn’t leave it in front of my friends house on a street, at apartment lot or in parking lots including school and work parking lots for any length of time, it had to be garaged so

A Moped was the only answer because I put it in the loading dock at work, in auto shop at school, up stairs at my friends apt, I even put it in hippie van at a concert and removed it before the owner even knew it was in there ha ha,

As far as making a bike a somewhat a blaster doing it can only cost about $200, if a puch, tomos or Italian bike, most of those bikes can still go around 40 mph with simple or free modifications too,

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> I bought two puchs for $200 bucks with A box of spare parts including a

> za50. I sold the za50 for $255.

>

> I spent very lil money getting them both running again. New spark plug ,

> flush the tank , carb clean , brake clean, pack the bearings....etc

>

> So now I get to ride around pretty much next to free. Mopeds the only

> motor bikes I’v owned that I actually made money from.

You've been hustled and dont know it yet.

Captain Janeway /

If you keep a bike stock you have a much better chance of it staying running. Like everyone else is saying, you're also looking at title cost (try and get one if at all possible), insurance, full face helmet (save your pretty face over a 3/4 helmet), registration (depending on state, though a lot are $20 for life), tools, etc.

Get a running bike, not the "it just has to be tuned" one.

Get a manual and learn to use the wiki--all the basics are covered there.

Is it a hobby or transport? They can suck the lifeblood from you if you mod them too much but they're fun. It easy to sink $1000+ in a bike if you mod it.

Good luck.

I just purchased two Puch Maxi Sports in OK condition for around $600. They were special to me because of year and model, it's what I owned new at 15, and I'm now 56. If you are patient and not too picky, you can find one that runs in good shape for $300 to $500. You are going to spend a couple hundred bucks on those to bring it up to shape most likely (good tires, new cables, brakes, maybe some engine/transmission maintenance). If your State requires titles, GET ONE WITH A TITLE. It's easier than trying to get one on your own and cheaper. As others have said, read, learn, study, ask questions. It's fun. You are BLESSED to have the internet at your age. The information resources are AMAZING. Appreciate what you have these days, it is easy to take for granted since you grew up with it.

Don't count on these for reliable transportation, and PLEASE learn to ride safe. A 25mph bike can kill you almost as easy as a 100mph bike. Don't be paranoid, but don't be stupid. A little paranoia can save your butt. ;-) These are good machines to get your feet wet learning about mechanical machines if that is new to you.

You can do this for under a grand, but if you want, you can blow 10K plus as well. Everything in moderation. Have fun.

Marin Lynch /

Thank you guys!!!! This has been sooooo helpful :) If I do get a moped I will buy either a Tomos, Puch (I like their style best), minerelli, Honda, or Sachs. Larry thank you so much for the offer I’m going to keep researching and contemplating if I really want to dive into this because you guys have given me a lot to think about. If I do end up purchasing one I don’t think I will ride it on the roads just yet, where I live there are miles of neighborhood roads as well as this gigantic park that has miles driving paths to get to the hiking trails and parking lots that would work great imo. I have notifications set up in Craigslist, letgo, and offer up in case one of those jackpot deals comes up, I’ll be sure to consult you all of course before I pull the trigger and buy ;) Thank you guys!!!!!!

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > Rocco Taco Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I bought two puchs for $200 bucks with A box of spare parts including

> a

>

> > za50. I sold the za50 for $255.

>

> >

>

> > I spent very lil money getting them both running again. New spark plug

> ,

>

> > flush the tank , carb clean , brake clean, pack the bearings....etc

>

> >

>

> > So now I get to ride around pretty much next to free. Mopeds the only

>

> > motor bikes I’v owned that I actually made money from.

>

> You've been hustled and dont know it yet.

This could be very true

Let me give you some very valuable advice..

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Let me give you some very valuable advice..

It will cost you everything

If you’re handy with a wrench or are mechanically inclined that’d be beneficial for startup/maintenance costs (not needing to take it to a shop). I got into mopeds because I assumed they would be far more reliable than they are and ended up learning mechanical stuff through mopeds.

If you don’t already have tools/2 stroke oil/good lock/good helmet, add $2-300 dollars to the cost of your first bike.

> LSLB Lou Daddy Jr. Jr. Wrote:

> If you don’t already have tools/2 stroke oil/good lock/good helmet, add

> d $2-300 dollars to the cost of your first bike.

Best at least double that amount , as a decent helmet will cost 300 bucks and more .

> P D Wrote:

> Best at least double that amount , as a decent helmet will cost 300

> bucks and more .

Bonanzas are only a hundo and they look pretty good.

> . Chudas. Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > Best at least double that amount , as a decent helmet will cost 300

>

> > bucks and more .

>

> Bonanzas are only a hundo and they look pretty good.

I don't mean to start a helmet debate , but , like anything else :

LOOKS can be deceiving .

That said , something is better than nothing .

Specially when it comes to preserving your skull . ;)

Shit, just buy a $20 helmet at a yard sale. It’s mopeds. As long as it says DOT, good enough. You’re only gonna crash at 25 mph; you’ll be fine.

Captain Janeway /

An HJC CL-17 is just over $100 and it's Snell rated. It is a little heavy for me, but it might be fine for you.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account