Cyrus moped find

Brandon Kuzak /

Can someone help me identify this model I found this in a barn with no engine. I want to restore thanks in advance.

20190811_180642.jpg
20190811_180628.jpg

Re: Cyrus moped find

You have a Cyrus Blue Star. Cyrus was a moped manufacturer from the city of Venlo.

They used standard Sachs engines on their bikes so finding an engine will be the least of your worries if you try to restore it.

Brandon Kuzak /

Thank you and is there value in these bikes. Also there does not seem to be a vin only a 4 digit stamping did they have titles.

> Brandon Kuzak Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you and is there value in these bikes. Also there does not seem to

> be a vin only a 4 digit stamping did they have titles.

Interesting that you found one of these in Ohio, I've never heard of them. The 4 digit number is the VIN. The VIN wasn't standardized to a 17 digit number til the 80's. In Ohio you don't need a title for a moped.

Brandon Kuzak /

I bought it for $50 believe it or not I was doing work for a older lady. Everything is original chrome is peeling on fenders no rust holes though. It has a clutch cable what Sachs motor 3 speed?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Thank you and is there value in these bikes.

Its a cool bike, and would make a cool restore project. While there probably is value in it who really cares, just enjoy it.

Brandon Kuzak /

Anyone have a motor for this bike or where I can find one.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Anyone have a motor for this bike or where I can find one.

Finding Sachs motors that would fit that stateside will likely be a chore, you probably need to search ebay europe. Maybe Bas knows someone overseas that can get you set up???

Or send a message to Will on Buy/Sell - he sells alot of Puch mags i bet he could come up with something. (edited)

If you wanted to you could put a Saxonette automatic on this as was found on the old Arctic Cat mini bikes. Same engine case so bolt right up. Those motors are found on eBay often

You can find the Sachs 50/3gang motor all over the place in Europe, the Arctic Cat Saxonette Automatics are nice but slow and the Arctic Cat folks seem to think they are made of gold

Actually, some of the Arctic Saxonettes were the 2.8 horsepower version. Not slow at all. They aslo made a way slower restricted version around 1.5 hp which may be which ones you have seen Sir Rebel. I have used the engines before. The same case in Europe held a 2 speed or a 3 speed handlebar shift. I also had a 2 gang that I dropped the 2.8 horse cylinder onto once which really ripped.

Here is a Sachs motor. Probably won't mount up directly though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sachs-Motor-Scooter-Motor-Bike-for-Parts-Restoration/232648727259

> Brandon Kuzak Wrote:

> Thank you and is there value in these bikes. Also there does not seem to

> be a vin only a 4 digit stamping did they have titles.

These bikes are so rare its hard to put a value on them. Parts aside from the engine will be impossible to find and a full restoration on one in this condition will cost way more than what they would be worth.

Because of their rarity I can't find much information on what engine should be used, but i'd go for a three speed foot shifter as they are more fun than the hand shifters.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

These bikes are so rare its hard to put a value on them.

From my experience, rare does not always equate to high value. This bike probably holds some decent value but again i would like to suggest forgetting the value and just enjoying it.

Parts aside from the engine will be impossible to find and a full restoration on one in this condition will cost way more than what they would be worth.

Unless your a perfectionist i would suggest you find a motor, clean up what you have, and just ride it! I wouldnt recommend you "restore it" if your main goal is to sell it for profit. If your end goal is to just sell it i think now is the prime time to do that.

Brandon Kuzak /

Been looking all over the web for a motor haven't come across one yet in the 3 speed sach.

> Brandon Kuzak Wrote:

> Been looking all over the web for a motor haven't come across one yet in

> the 3 speed sach.

It will likely take longer than a day to find rare parts. It may take searching the interweb every day for a few years.

But not on Amazon Prime with next day delivery.

I found several different ones in about a minute, but as stated i have no clue what fits under this moped or if all old sachs engines have the same engine mounts.

Looks like it made its way onto eBay .

Cyrus' moped???

Someone should seriously buy this.

I'd buy it because its too far gone so you can just do your own thing with it. Slap a derbi and some cool mags on it and be the king of the streets.

You are likely needing to look for a 50/2 KLS : Hand gear change with kick start, fan cooled or a 50/2 S : Hand gear change with pedal start. The 50/2 KS had a Hand gear change with kick start and the Sachs 50/A was the "Saxonette" that is the same motor but with a two speed automatic.

50/3 LS is fan cooled with pedal start and hand shift, it is the other engine more likely as the original.

The hand gear shift can be a bitch to get synchronized to the hand shifter if your shift grip is loose from age or you have a tired cable pair.

Foot shift 3 speeds are easier to work than hand shift for getting the shift cables to behave, Sachs 50/3 BKFS is a 3 speed (kick start) and the Sachs 50/3 KLS is kick start fan cooled, if you are lucky you might find a 50/3 LFH - that is 4,3hp.

Sachs 50/4 LKH is also 4,3hp with four speed foot shift kicker, if you are fortunate to find one and can get away with a kick start on a moped where you live.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I'd buy it because its too far gone so you can just do your own thing with it. Slap a derbi and some cool mags on it and be the king of the streets.

I was thinking tomos motor. But i always suggest tomos engines.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> I'd buy it because its too far gone so you can just do your own thing

> with it. Slap a derbi and some cool mags on it and be the king of the

> streets.

>

> I was thinking tomos motor. But i always suggest tomos engines.

Something as cool as a Cyrus deserves a cool engine and Tomos engines are a lot, but they sure as hell ain't cool.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Something as cool as a Cyrus deserves a cool engine and Tomos engines are a lot, but they sure as hell ain't cool.

yeah but they are plentiful and peppy.

Brandon Kuzak /

I found a 3 speed Sachs engine only problem is it has right hand sprocket I'm considering flipping back wheel and either not using the back breaks or possibly modify them any thoughts. The motor is in great shape it's a 501 Sachs.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I wouldn’t ride it around without a rear brake, you need good stopping power

What is preventing you from using the rear brake on the opposite side?

Chris van Riel /

You miss a lot of parts, this is the same model. Its mine cyrus

20180204_161918.jpg

Chris,

I am a little curious as to the year, model and cc of your gold and white Cyrus in your picture. Also if it is a 2 or a 3 speed. I just picked one up that is near identical to yours but my frame is red. Also, is the bike in the picture missing the air box. More pics of yours would be nice as well. Mine appears to be missing the two gas tank Cyrus emblems, air box, wind shield and a front brake cable. If you know where I could get these parts it would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure why my front fender has a JFZ emblem on it.

Thanks and have a great day, Russ

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account