Simple Honda Hobbit Question

I want to know if the Honda Hobbit Coil is self-grounding, meaning that it grounds itself through its metal frame like some aftermarket HT coils I’ve bought.

Why I’m asking:

I got a Honda Hobbit with many of the parts in boxes and I have a no-spark situation. Tested the stator (good), checked everything for continuity, and I’m only running the black/white wire to the coil and the green wire to ground. I’ve heard also that you need to use the pedals to move the flywheel fast enough on a Hobbit...is that true? Because my pedals aren’t hooked up. Perhaps I should start there. Thanks!

Re: Simple Honda Hobbit Question

Bruce Zapper /

Use a drill with a socket to turn the motor

No you don't need pedals to spin the engine fast enough for spark. Drill is fine, but on my Hobbit I can turn it over fast enough by hand to get spark.

I am 90% sure the coil grounds itself to the subframe through the mounting bolts. Just this weekend someone's coil fell off and he lost spark so I think it's a safe bet

Make sure that you have the ground strap connecting the block to the frame tightened good or ya wont get nuthin.

Sean Colvin /

OKAY so new development perhaps:

I’m finding that there’s continuity between the black wire coming out of my stator and ground (the frame) even with the points open. That to me seems like a problem. Can anyone confirm or deny that this means I’m shorting somewhere?

Barry (Bob) Brown /

check continuity while turning the flywheel by hand, maybe wires touching inside like the wires coming off the top of the condenser? When I first got my Hobbit, this was the case and I had to move/resolder them so they wouldn't touch the housing.

Sean Colvin /

Solved the issue - I realize that that black wire should be grounded through the end of the coil. (At least I think! I’m no electrical expert)

My problem turned out to be a bad coil. The end of the spark plug wire (no plug or boot) to the grounding tab had 4K ohms. I tested it with my Garelli coil and I got it to spark. Thanks for the replies.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account