How to: convert your Tomos 5 stars to sealed bearings

Dan (high idle) Conway /

So, I said i’d do this in another thread so here goes.

I started by fumbling my back wheel off the bike after finding a concerning amount of play in it after a long ride.

After putting it up on the table and removing the axle, I used a rubber mallet and a huge screwdriver to push out the bearing races. Make sure not to scratch up or fracture the mating surface in the

process,

BEE3EFD5-6F18-4380-A242-88AD084ADD85.jpeg
3D32472A-4F93-441D-8511-AE220117FAB4.jpeg

Re: How to: convert your Tomos 5 stars to sealed bearings

Dan (high idle) Conway /

After giving the races a good clean, I took out some red threadlocker by Loctite and gave one of the sides a good dose, spreading across the mating surface of the bearing.

Next I grabbed my bearing, my puch maxi seat post, and I dropped the bearing in place.

3E5EF8A4-0AC8-43A0-A7E5-DEE39D7F707F.jpeg

Once the bearing was seated, I

took measurements around the outer race and the hub to make sure the spacing was equal all the way around.

Now... DONT FORGET THE SPACER!!!

I say that as it is probably a huge pain to have to pull out a perfectly seated bearing with red loctite, and you can only use this spacer when one bearing is removed.

I measured the depth of the hub from edge of the bearing to edge of exposed bearing/hub mating surface.

I found my spacer was too big, soo I cut it, sanded it and checked the fit.

EEEAA693-E2C9-4164-BD6B-16CC31AB3051.jpeg

Dan (high idle) Conway /

I then repeated the last step, this time with the spacer and new 12mm axle in place.

F238A1B3-DA65-4048-A6F0-E6D6F033D725.jpeg

Ps here’s a shot checking the final bearing seating.

AF627137-4020-42F1-ABE3-742F97E10069.jpeg

I then spaced the brake plate out away from the bearing, using the old spacers from the loose bearing axle, and dry fitted it on the bike.

I found I needed some more spacing between the hub and swingarm, so I cut down the scrap piece from the spacer I used earlier, fitted it on the sprocket side, and measured the brake side, this picture shows that i need a 16mm spacer for this 77’ A3 swingarm.

89F26F24-A7C2-4E61-9F77-72DBE09B8BE1.jpeg

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Just thought i’d pass some

info on from my findings as I haven’t found a ton on this in the past.... After I run to the hardware store tomorrow I can hop on my bike and roll away in style.

Cheers!

Dan (high idle) Conway /

This would be great in the wiki!

Dan (high idle) Conway /

That’s where it’s goin!

Hey they make a green bearing locker just for stuff like this.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Good to know- The High strength Loctite seems to be holding up just fine over the big potholes in New England.

I’ll be posting this article to the wiki when I have some more spare time.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account