Rally transportation

Don't know if it's off topic or not but let's talk about your rally transportation.... I'm going to be getting a new vehicle soon and I'm torn on what I want. Right now I have a mom minivan but it's nice that I can carry 4 people, and a tiny trailer with 4 bikes and still have a dry place to sleep if I need to. So what's your favorite vehicle?

I'm torn with a Honda element which is smaller than what I have, but will still pull a tiny trailer and with tight packing can carry 4 people but still be fun to daily drive and I won't hate my life with a giant van OR just go ahead and spring for that giant van with the fold down bed and v8 to pull whatever. That would be horrible on gas for daily driving and just not fun in general but maybe I can get a beater to make me happy. Who knows. So open discussion. Go.

Re: Rally transportation

Sprinter

...or an 80's chevy conversion van with lightening and wild mustangs airbrushed on the sides.

Probably Fred /

My two from about a year and a half ago, they got a little bit more rust and scratches on them now,

8809C7F4-7F9A-4915-B1E2-8A603C28E309.jpeg
4F379EBA-3093-44FA-BFFE-FA4EC2F293F1.jpeg

Both hold bikes easy

I don’t pull a trailer anymore, used to have a boat and had to pull it all over the place for years and had to pull a construction tool trailer for a while to so no love for trailers now,

I never want my bikes out in the open trailer either and hate water getting in the switches/electrical of my bikes too,

The 2000 Odyssey is probably something like what you have but I’m sure it’s way older but gets OK gas mileage around 22mpg combined

The 2003 Chevy Astro conversion does not get very good gas mileage like 17 combined but 4 captains chairs that recline all the way back and with rear bench seat out which it is out, it holds big bikes whole (magnum, revival and smaller enduro bikes) without having the lower the bars or the mirrors (like if in the Odyssey) and will hold a lotta bikes if you remove the front wheels,

Both are getting kinda old, getting higher mi on them, going to need tires, suspension work, maybe exhaust and other odds and ends so I’m may want to get something more newer myself

I would like 2 newer Odyssey’s if I had the money!

Beach Club Nick /

My vote is for an older small japanese truck, they can be had on Craigslist for cheap if you're quick. I got this Dodge Ram 50 (Mitsubishi Mighty Max) for $2500 with 42k miles on it. I've driven it from Ohio to Colorado twice, Texas once, Florida twice, NYC, Baltimore a dozen times. It can tow a small trailer and I've fit four bikes in the bed. I get like 20-25 mpg too depending on how much shit I have in it.

The only downside is the seating, you can only fit yourself and a passenger. It's also virtually impossible to sleep in. I'm probably gonna buy a pop-up camper soon so I don't have to mess around with tents anymore

Snapchat-825287289.jpg
IMG_20180528_142535.jpg

I sometimes wish I had bought a honda element instead of a ford ranger.

I’m a small truck guy but Honda Elements are great and pretty affordable these days. There’s loads of aftermarket support if you wanna camp with it.

My favorite feature is the interior. Get it dirty and just blast it with a pressure washer.

Doooo it.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The Honda CRV looks pretty cool a little small may be fit to PEDs in the back but what I was really liking was the Mitsubishi super light truck it's like a stake body that you see for lawn and garden contractors it runs on a motorcycle engine that's under the passenger seat like a Daihatsu if I could get one of them babies it has a 4-cylinder and it's super good on gas you could probably pile 10 peds on the back...

Mike McScoutington /

I had a Honda Element for a while and really liked it. At one point I think I crammed 3 or 4 bikes in the back (had to take the seats out).

Charles McCusker /

I like my f150, can haul 4 bikes pretty easy, and carry up to 6 people (thanks bench seat). I also need a truck for daily life and have 3 mile commute.

That said, it sucks on gas and you have to load a bike into a bed, which for a lot of people can be a real hassle.

I like the idea of an element, you could do a lot with that in life. Another idea might be legacy wagon or outback. enough room for gear in the back, comfortably seats people, and has a decent tow rating for a trailer.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have a WJ Grand Cherokee and it's great. Compact(er) SUV that I can chuck a bike in the back of, or sleep in, but also has a stock Class IV hitch so I can haul full motos on the tongue or pull a 6x12 trailer filled with bikes.

Also helps me that it has AWD and limited slips, etc.

70'S E_200

make da_face.png

I'm a truck guy.

Guess that comes from my teenage years.

Always wanted to do a van.

I've been digging the Nissan NV200, small enough to be able to park on the street, big enough for a few bikes, and you can camp in it. I just wish it was available in AWD or selectable 4WD

EH 📣FCC of the QCB /

Vans are YUCK to me...quad cab trucks are the shit. Dude in our club even bought a tent that fits in the bed for his.

I’ve got a ‘97 Ranger now. Planning on replacing it with a full size van when the money is right.

> Baron Von Hamilton Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Vans are YUCK to me...quad cab trucks are the shit. Dude in our club

> even bought a tent that fits in the bed for his.

I guess its the appeal of being able to sleep or shag in the back of a "roomy" van for me.

I prefer van's as well, the Chrysler ones seem to be very long lived, parts are cheap etc, but I prefer full sized, only downside is mpg, it is awful. Would go with a mini-van if this is to be your daily driver. Toyota, Honda or Chrysler.

Town and country is the nicest minivan I've ever driven, the seats that fold into the floor are magic and are ridiculously comfortable

Probably Fred /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> I prefer van's as well, the Chrysler ones seem to be very long lived,

> parts are cheap etc, but I prefer full sized, only downside is mpg, it

> is awful. Would go with a mini-van if this is to be your daily driver.

> Toyota, Honda or Chrysler.

Ya but having a mid 2000s extended size dodge caravan, when stuff starts going/nickel and diming you even though the v6 engine was indestructible you got to bail on it quick! for Me so many things, so many systems failed at one time I was lucky get $280 from the scrap man!

We got in an accident a while ago (rear ended) and we had a 2013 -14 caravan rental for free for almost 4 weeks and with 280 net hp it was fast or faster than some of the performance cars in late 70s early 80s

Pretty cool!

Still plodding around in a late 90’s Malibu for its superior stealth capabilities - literally no one notices you regardless of how fast you’re driving - but am seriously looking into non-SUV vans when it come time to replace it.

The 1st gen Transit Connect is really appealing because of roominess and ease of access. Anyone here have opines about ‘em?

Used to drive a first gen transit for work. It was constantly in the shop and random electrical problems were a common occurrence

> - schmiddy Wrote:

> Still plodding around in a late 90’s Malibu for its superior stealth

> capabilities - literally no one notices you regardless of how fast

> you’re driving - ?

I used to have an early ‘90s Taurus wagon... I could run 100 mph at night with no lights and the cops ignored me.

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> > - schmiddy Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Still plodding around in a late 90’s Malibu for its superior stealth

>

> > capabilities - literally no one notices you regardless of how fast

>

> > you’re driving - ?

>

> I used to have an early ‘90s Taurus wagon... I could run 100 mph at

> night with no lights and the cops ignored me.

I just sold my 2000 taurus wagon. i could fit 2 peds easy with no mods, and 3 if i took a wheel off one. it's a clutch rally mobile.

I just bought a 2000 GMC Sonoma for rallies and camping. I can fit 3-4 bikes with their handlebars unbolted under the topper which gives me a primo camping rig also. Good MPG and 4wheel drive for all that muddin' I won't do.

truck.jpg
trucks.jpg
loaded.jpg

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I love my 93 eurovan

parts are not super hard, but not super easy

gets like 20 something MPG on the highway no matter how much stuff/people you put into it

I can carry a moped on the back, and maybe one inside. Definitely sleeps comfy as fuck and tons of storage nooks

gotta be confident enough in yourself to accept the fact you will go 40-50mph up a steep hill no matter what you want to do, its got 109 bhp

It fits a twin air mattress perfectly between the wheel wells, and it's exactly short enough to close the tail gate if needed. I plan on leaving it open when I rally camp/normal camp so I also made a magnetically closing screen door for the gate. #asseenontv

67827490_2167496756706936_5381635202034434048_n.jpg
screen.jpg

I wanna get to the point where I roll up to a rally, park my truck, and be comfortable. I've gone from van>wagon>truck. I've loved all the set ups.

What's the clutch protips everyones got for ultimate rally camp/car convenience? secret poop bucket?

honda acty van. saw one the other day. you could park it in a big van.

Van Van Van

I have always had a small daily car, and a van

Which van?

Mostly big full size v8's, pack 8-10 people in that sucker, pull a giant trailer, party on the way to rallies, or just 2 or 3 people, all the bikes and no worries about how to fit everything. They are also the best for sleeping, who needs a sleeping bag and all that crap when you can sleep nice and comfy on the floor?

Or as you know, the mini van, which I currently have, or last full size van was totaled so we decided to try a mini van, so far so good, stow and go seats allow for comfy sleeping, while still having decent room for gear and bikes, with a decent sized v6 I can still haul our large trailer (12 bikes comfy, 16 in a pinch), with relative ease, relative being that I need to upgrade the rear shocks, but otherwise? Its been great, Ive missed the full size vans at times, but for the most part, the gas millage and ease of driving has really brought me to enjoy the minivan, maybe we'll stick with it?

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I have been rolling my Mazda5 mini minivan with small trailer or sometimes the single ped receiver carrier. I get 30mpg loaded plus trailer full. Sleeping inside no problem. Ez up open over the tail makes the dining room. And it drives like a sports car. I wish they did not discontinue them. I would be in the showroom tomorrow

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account