Questions about riding Class B in NY

New to the moped world, so bear with me here

I'm wondering if any folks here are riding in New York (I'm upstate myself) and may be able to clarify the laws for me. I tried asking the nice folks at my local DMV and they didn't seem to have much of an idea when it comes to mopeds, so I figured I would try here

On the DMV web site both Class B and C state that they may be operated on "right-hand lane or shoulder only (except when making a left turn)"

Does this mean that I should always be in the shoulder unless there's two lanes?

Re: Questions about riding Class B in NY

You will end up with a flat quicker if you ride on the shoulder. Ride in the middle, let faster cars pass you when you can’t keep up with traffic. Probably good idea to have a mirror. Wait to be pulled over to ask the cops questions

Nobody is likely to know about the laws regarding mopeds. But as UGP stated and for other safety reasons (cars passing you etc) you should ride in the road, not on the shoulder. Use your best judgement about placement in the lane- if your moped is fast enough then take whichever lane position (left, center,right) is best for the situation. If you are much slower than traffic best to stay to the right to keep out of trouble with cars- that said don't let them force you off the road either.

> ugp * Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Probably good idea to have a mirror.

Mirrors are required on 2 wheels anyway

Jeff insinna /

I believe that if you can keep up with traffic then stay in right lane, such as city streets...30mph.... But in speed zones such as 45mph you should be on the shoulder... That my take on nys rules

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

You are legal on the roadway. The spirit of this law is just to keep the left for passing. If it is a 40mph 2 lane road, dont be a dick and stay over to let people pass. Don't overthing this, the cops know even less than the DMV about moped law. I used to get pulled over every single day on a class C because I was not wearing a helmet. I kept a copy of the chart with me and every cop was surprised to see they had no clue when I presented the law to them

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> Every cop was surprised to see they had no

> clue when I presented the law to them

I can 100% confirm this. I have been pulled over numerous times here in NYC and the minute you pull out a copy of the laws most police officers will waive you on.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah the cops not knowing moped law is universal I was stopped in the hood at 2 a.m. Forno eyewear I was held for 30 minutes well they looked up the law and they're not required on a moped

But as regards to B&C these are 25 miles an hour cease are motorcycle class they can go over 35 and I have a feeling if you have a C-Class moped which would be like a Tomas A35 Sprint you could probably keep up with inner-city traffic at least in Pennsylvania they made new laws that bicyclists can take up a whole Lane due to the amount of deaths of bicyclists due to driver distraction IE cell phones just this week two kids got killed on bicycles I mean my town is like medium size maybe two hundred thousand in the local area I could only imagine what it's like in New York as it is now when I ride my moped across town there are at least three instances where I could lose my life if I wasn't paying attention so be careful out there

I ride a class B batavus hs50 around the albany area. I get weird looks but yeah definitely carry a copy of the class B requirements on you. Ive been pulled over for not having an inspection but I pulled out that paper showing I didnt require one and they let me go no problem. As annoying as it is as long as youre polite they'll let you go, and even if you do get a ticket you can probably contest it if you have proof.

Side note: if you ride to the rockaways you will be fucked with regardless. Those cops have nothing to do but hassle you for existing.

Jessie Paull /

Thanks for all the input guys -

My plan is to stick to city streets where the speed limit shouldn't be more than 30-35MPH, and my bike tops out at 30. Sounds like I'll be safe riding in the middle of the lane, so long as I'm ready to let people pass?

> Jessie Paull Wrote:

> Thanks for all the input guys -

>

> My plan is to stick to city streets where the speed limit shouldn't be

> more than 30-35MPH, and my bike tops out at 30. Sounds like I'll be safe

> riding in the middle of the lane, so long as I'm ready to let people

> pass?

A rider should always 'command' the lane they are in . Ride center or center-left . Be courteous and above all defensively alert . Use full arm out hand signals . Even if cagers don't know what they mean , you'll have a much greater chance of them seeing you .

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Now I was always curious about you New York City cats how do you go around and get over the bridges I saw there is bicycle paths can you temporarily use those and what about tolls till they get paid full price I mean I'd argue I don't even have an axle at least not a proper one

I don't remember what the cash price for tolls is for mopeds/motorcycles, but I have an ezpass specifically for motorcycles/mopeds and I get a cheaper rate than the car ezpass price.

Interesting, thanks

Dirty30 Dillon /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Now I was always curious about you New York City cats how do you go

> around and get over the bridges I saw there is bicycle paths can you

> temporarily use those and what about tolls till they get paid full price

> I mean I'd argue I don't even have an axle at least not a proper one

Bridges between boroughs are not tolled, so you just ride over them. The tolled bridges around the city are all highways, which you shouldn't be on anyways.

As for tolled tunnels, you just gotta be brave.

You will get tolled a flat rate whether it's moto or car, I believe.

And no bike lanes, legally

If you have an ez pass you can get a reduced motorcycle rate- the only toll routes I'd take in/out of the city on a moped would be Holland tunnel (toll) or maybe the Henry Hudson- you could also get away with taking the George Washington (esp when there is traffic) cause you can get right off before getting on the highway. Otherwise if you are coming in from the north there are plenty of free little bridges from Manhattan to the Bronx.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account