Bike “runs out of gas” at half tank

evan nelson /

I have a 1 gallon tank. After riding through about half the tank, the bike will start to act like it’s out of gas. Eventually it will totally die and maybe start up but die again when I give it throttle.

Then I top it off with gas (usually about .5 gallons) and it will run just fine.

I’ve tried taking the gas cap off once it “runs out of gas”, but it doesn’t seem to do much.

Dirty peacock? Bad vacuum?

Tomos Streetmate

Re: Bike “runs out of gas” at half tank

Emil Kniemel /

is there a reserve function?

evan nelson /
3v4n OP

There is a reserve setting on petcock. Problem still persists even when using the reserve setting.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Might consider removing your petcock, cleaning it and ripping out the little tube... And run an inline filter.

I would check the cap of the fuel tank. The tank isn't getting any air and it prevents the gas to flow to carb.

any restriction point in the fuel system can cause this, remove everything frm the petcock to the carb, clean it all, check that its free flowing one part at a time. its much easier to do it all at once than mess around trying to troubleshoot.

I had these same symtoms a few weeks ago.

rear this

Captain Janeway /

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I had these same symtoms a few weeks ago.

>

> rear this

I thought mine were clean, but I'll give this a shot. I run wire through and they seem clean, but yeah mine seems to want to die at about 1/3 tank. I've just cut down the long filters in the petcocks and it seems to help some. And yes I have fuel filters on the line.

Probably Fred /

> evan nelson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have a 1 gallon tank. After riding through about half the tank, the

> bike will start to act like it’s out of gas. Eventually it will totally

> die and maybe start up but die again when I give it throttle.

>

> Then I top it off with gas (usually about .5 gallons) and it will run

> just fine.

>

> I’ve tried taking the gas cap off once it “runs out of gas”, but it

> doesn’t seem to do much.

>

> Dirty peacock? Bad vacuum?

>

> Tomos Streetmate

Yeah change petcock, change fuel lines, change fuel filter whatever you have to do to be able to drain the tank down,

My revival which is the same frame as a streetmate is able to go all the way down until I switch it to reserve, (around 65mi for I have some performance upgrades) not being able to do that sucks,

Doesn't hold a gallon , just .92 or something like that and that includes the reserve amount. Since it exits the tank fairly low, you don't get as much flow pressure as a real top tank. (edited)

Hunter Gandee /

This might be a little late for the person that originally posted this issue but maybe it will help somebody else out. On the Tomos Streetmate there is a pressure release on the frame/tank by the handle bars, on the right side in-between the steering column and the faux tank. Hold this in while filling up and that should fix your issue.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account