Iowa version - 1982 Honda NU 50.

Howdy. I just scored an NU 50 Honda Express Iowa version, and it is going to need a ton of work. It will be delivered tomorrow, and I don’t plan on touching it right away. I intend to get you fellows(and ladies) help in formulating a plan of attack on this project, in order to get it serviceable and running in shortest amount of time. It’s going to need a lot of attention. I will give you folks the rundown as best I can.

I neglected to see if the motor was turning over, however the seller said it was free. It had the airbox off, but it seemed complete and present on the ground, and will be delivered with it. The front brake lever was frozen stiff, so I am assuming it will need a cable. It’s also going to need tires. And tubes. Battery is gone, cable ends for the battery are not present , and in fact it must have wiring issues, since the harness was mostly disconnected from the lights, engine, and everywhere the wiring harness could be seen, it was disconnected at the connectors themselves. The tank was rusty inside, and I’m assuming the oil injector was removed, although it could have been there and I didn’t know what I was looking at. It will even need fuel lines too. Jeez, the more I go over this in my mind, and on board, I am starting to wonder what the hell was I thinking?!?

But anyway, I am kind of at a loss where to start. So any helpful ideas would be appreciated. Thanks folks.

☮️

Re: Iowa version - 1982 Honda NU 50.

Captain Janeway /

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1A-VWZahNUwwOMdH_KvlOAo8Pie0a2C6L

1. Read manual

2. Pray

3. If the electronics look as bad as you say, you may post for a wiring harness.

4. Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Alan Cuffe /

> Captain Janeway Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1A-VWZahNUwwOMdH_KvlOAo8Pie0a2C6L

>

> 1. Read manual

>

> 2. Pray

>

> 3. If the electronics look as bad as you say, you may post for a wiring

> harness.

>

> 4. Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Thanks. (I figured I was on over my head.)

I have some ideas about the electronics though. I bet the guy rode it on a dead battery a long time and killed the stator and/or regulator. He told me it “always ran kind of crappy”. If he is like most uninformed people he didn’t know how bad driving a small motorized vehicle around on a dead battery will destroy the charging system. He did say the wiring was unplugged because they were “testing circuits”. LOL.

You may want to part this...being an Iowa model it is restricted to 20 mph to meet Iowa law back in the day. If this does not bother you they are nice bikes, the lights are prob blown from no battery.

Alan Cuffe /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> You may want to part this...being an Iowa model it is restricted to 20

> mph to meet Iowa law back in the day. If this does not bother you they

> are nice bikes, the lights are prob blown from no battery.

Hello, can the unit be modded in some way to reach higher speeds?

Probably but given the condition of the bike most likely not worth the effort, if I remember right the restrictions are in carb size? But don't quote me on that. maybe just swap an engine from a non Iowa bike?

Alan Cuffe /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Probably but given the condition of the bike most likely not worth the

> effort, if I remember right the restrictions are in carb size? But don't

> quote me on that. maybe just swap an engine from a non Iowa bike?

I was thinking same. Swap out the engine. However it would be easier for me to just swap out the carb if it could be done. Although, I will probably have to go through the whole engine drivetrain anyway, so it will probably work out easier/better in the long run to do an entire engine swap. Thanks for your reply.

That's what I would do, maybe ask in repair of the restrictions, there has been a lot of discussion over the years about it, try the search.

Alan Cuffe /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> That's what I would do, maybe ask in repair of the restrictions, there

> has been a lot of discussion over the years about it, try the search.

Good idea. I’m not too good at searching threads, but I am going to give it a shot. Thanks for your input.

☮️

I suck at searching threads too, but ask around, there are many here who know a lot more than I do. There is a wiki as well, might be info there that could help you.

Jack Rutherford /

Here's my old Iowa. Biturdo pipe, SHA clone carb, bx31 belt and opened up & raised the exhaust port. It would do around 40 - maybe low 40s. Click on CC for closed captions. Here I get the right main jet in and she would go:

Captain Janeway /

Jack--I thought there was a restriction in there besides just the carb?

Jack Rutherford /

Exhaust port is tiny

Captain Janeway /

> Jack Rutherford Wrote:

> Exhaust port is tiny

Thank you Yoda. ;)

I’m not too good at searching threads, but I am going to give it a shot.

tons of info here, make sure you check all dates and all forums when searching

Alan Cuffe /

> Chris . Wrote:

> I’m not too good at searching threads, but I am going to give it a shot.

>

> tons of info here, make sure you check all dates and all forums when

> searching

Dig It.

I found this in my thread search. I think this is golden right here. -https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?7,4179100

Thanks everybody. The bike was delivered today, and it’s in my kitchen as we speak. I have some rearranging to do in there, then some ordering of parts, then I can start disassembly and inspection in detail. What worries me most is the wiring. Talk about spaghetti. The shits hanging out all over. What a scary mess. I may end up getting a new harness.

By the way, can anyone recommend and link the parts stores I can get what I need for this machine? I have not ever ordered stuff for one of these scooters before. I have always ridden larger bikes before now. I’m looking for the cheapest new or own parts marketplaces.

Thanks fellows, you’ve been great, and a great help. I’m looking forward to documenting this restoration and modification. It looks to be within my abilities. For the last few years I was building motorized bicycles for various folks around here, but it got to be pretty pointless after awhile. This is going to be fun.

☮️ Peace ☮️

bikebandit.com has a good supply of oem parts, treatland.tv has some oem and lots of aftermarket go fast stuff.

Alan Cuffe /

> Chris . Wrote:

> bikebandit.com has a good supply of oem parts, treatland.tv has some oem

> and lots of aftermarket go fast stuff.

Thanks Chris. Sorry I haven’t posted in a couple of days. Daily life keeps rearing it’s ugly head. I’ll quote General Macarther here-“I Shall Return.”.

☮️

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account