Wrist pin clip alignment

This weekend I tore down my pa50ii and A3 and found that on both bikes, my wrist pin circlips are not aligned as I installed (opening running in direction of piston motion).

Any tips to get these to stay aligned???

Re: Wrist pin clip alignment

Just put them in, no alignment needed.

Jason White /

My last A3 kit had circlip pop out and shred up the top end, i read that it’s likely because of my circlip alignment not being in direction of piston travel

> Jason White Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> My last A3 kit had circlip pop out and shred up the top end, i read that

> it’s likely because of my circlip alignment not being in direction of

> piston travel

More likely that the clip landing wasn't deep enough or the clip didn't get seated properly .

In over 50 years of messing with motors , both 2 and 4 stroke , I've never paid attention to how a clip was installed , other than that it be totally seated , deep enough . Never had a clip come out , until I took it out either .

Jason White /

Good to know. I did find the clips that came with kit, I installed with double ended clips same size... just find them easier to work with. The single ended clips that came with kit seem to hold their place in groove a lot better. Will go with this, wish me luck

i remember being told to have clip ends pointing either up (toward piston head) or down (toward crank) doesnt matter which but not sure it really matters with mopedz

I have seen new kits that have a piston where the "ringland" for the circlips had tight spots, which would need to be opened up a little bit in order to get the clip to fully seat. I bet that sort of thing has caused a majority of circlip ejections.

Put the open ends facing down.

Don't overly compress when putting in the slot, barely compress it. I actually put clips in with a chopstick. Get one end in the slot, then hold the clip with one hand while pushing the end just enough until it clears the wrist pin hole. Seat it, point the ends down towards the cases, boom.

Never had a clip pop out.

Never

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> Put the open ends facing down.

>

> Never had a clip pop out.

>

> Never

Same here, open end goes down.

I've only lost clips because I reused clips. And reused clips sometimes get bent past elastic deformation on removal. Its possible sometimes to remove clips carefully and reuse them but I don't, its unnecessary risk. Use new clips and install carefully. If you force it and bend it, replace it. Open end down is good practice but alignment isn't what makes them fail, its bent or incompletely installed clips that fail.

I reuse clips all the time.

Bend em out yo retention, and pop em In.

Rule: if they spin in the groove, they're not tight enough

Probably Fred /

> JBOT Admin Wrote:

> I reuse clips all the time.

>

> Bend em out yo retention, and pop em In.

>

> Rule: if they spin in the groove, they're not tight enough

Yep in total agreement ,

If I reuse clips I straighten them out then bend them out so they stay tight in the groove,

Even new ones sometimes need to be bent out a bit to to be tight in groove,

I don’t use chopsticks but I’ve used a pc of a artist paintbrush end, dowel rod, almost anything made out of wood ,

I dont even install clips anymore.

Yep soft installation is key, gorilla-grip that c-clip with a toothed needlenose and they will not last any more past initial install, if that. Chopsticks, fancy unsharpened art pencils work really good too, just don’t leave any mulch behind.

0E26CE40-BAFA-4722-80C4-7E151B8A78E4.jpeg

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> I dont even install clips anymore.

Maybe you use these :

FDB7EF14-D2FC-4B1C-BCC2-548CA84DD5EE.png

Yep.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account