Bravo! Not what I expected to find

Here's the deal. I pulled the side covers off this Bravo Super Deluxe to see why I found half of the variator in a box of parts after I bought it. This explains why I couldn't get the start clutch to engage the engine when I pedaled.

Somedummy wrung the damn end of the crankshaft off with the nut. I've mentioned in other threads that these tiny M8 crank ends are tender. Here's proof, and reason to be gentle with them. I guess I have no choice but to do a complete rebuild. Oh well, I need the experience. But I could do without the expense. Gotta pay to play.

image.jpg

(edited)

Re: Bravo! Not what I expected to find

I'm about to pull a good crank out of one to replace it with a roller crack. I'm probably never going to use the stock crack. Just saying...... Actually all I have to do is split the cases.

Sucks....

Stephen, Let me know what you want for it (shipped), if you decide you don't want it. I was planning on keeping this one pretty much stock. It's got 140-150 psi compression, and everything else seems fine so far.

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Stephen, Let me know what you want for it (shipped), if you decide you

> don't want it. I was planning on keeping this one pretty much stock.

> It's got 140-150 psi compression, and everything else seems fine so far.

PM me your address and I'll send it to you for the price of shipping. I'll pull it in the morning. Now I'll build my engine for my bravo now since it'll be torn apart.

> Stephen Simmons Wrote:

> > Seth B Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Stephen, Let me know what you want for it (shipped), if you decide you

>

> > don't want it. I was planning on keeping this one pretty much stock.

>

> > It's got 140-150 psi compression, and everything else seems fine so

> far.

>

> PM me your address and I'll send it to you for the price of shipping.

> I'll pull it in the morning. Now I'll build my engine for my bravo now

> since it'll be torn apart.

Thanks, man. I sent it to ya. In the second message, as I forgot the address in the first.

Good luck . I have one totally stock motor never ever molested and it's a beauty. Its money in the bank. It obviously a 30 mph one . Always good to keep a spare around ...just in case u get stupid and buy another bike ...

Can you weld?

crankshaft repair

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> Can you weld?

>

> crankshaft repair

Not well. I can and do little repairs, but I'm not good enough for this.

But I did consider cutting the damaged end off the crank and cutting off the threads of a m8 bolt, running the engine full speed, and friction welding the new bolt threads.on. It could work. Friction welding is awesome.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I haven't had too much issue with snapping vespa crank ends, and I have spent plenty of time drill starting and impacting on variator nuts.

That said, it's best just to toss a roller in there now and never have to worry about the small end bushing.

This is the perfect rebuild for your moped education. In addition to a few tools u need a freezer and a toaster oven. I think we will be camping in Ashland next week and will have time to talk to you while u do it. Ya gotta take off the top end, the bolts that keep the case half's together , the flywheel and the electronics , freeze the engine overnight., Grab some courage , heat up some kind of oven that the stripped case and crank fit in , hear to 400 , remove with bar be que gloves . Things will start falling apart at this point when u remove etc and the case Halves / bearings and don't forget the OEM spacers between crank and main bearings, get new crank or whatever u r replacing this with , new bearings and seal. Freeze that crank and heat new bearings to 350 or so and assemble again don't forget the piaggio spacers. Don't take a screw driver to separate things. A nice two by 4 with a hole cut that the long end of the crank shaft can go through laid across the arms of an outdoor chair that is sturdy or two saw horses etc can stabilize the assembly etc. If I can learn to do this anyone can. U could ask cheetachrome to do this for ya he might be amenable.

Thanks for the tips. Rebuilding this should be a walk in the park. I'm not too worried about it.

It's kinda fun. It's amazing to take advantage of the different properties of different metals. In this case their expansion and contraction properties.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> It's kinda fun. It's amazing to take advantage of the different

> properties of different metals. In this case their expansion and

> contraction properties.

I'm looking forward to it. I've got a used crank coming from Stephen soon, so hopefully I don't find any other major surprises.

dang i was excited to unload one of my stock cranks for a second there. stephen beat me to it, he's a gem.

Yeah, he's cool alright! Thanks anyway, Graham.

I've got the gas tank soaking in Evapo Rust, and the carbs in a can of carburetor soak this afternoon.

I haven’t pulled the motor yet; I don’t like to do that until I have parts on hand. That’s how things get lost. But while I was waiting for the tank to soak, I noticed a couple of things. I’m going to have to address this bare wire coming off of the condenser, for one.

798C7B9F-5B2A-4A3A-91B9-D4ACAE1E5B4A.jpeg

Of course it’s got to be the $25, two-wire condenser. I also noticed that the green and yellow wires coming from the stator to the wiring block are in rough shape also. The rest of the wiring on the bike seems soft and supple and in good condition.

And then, there is this sweet exhaust mod somebody did. They cut off the tail end of the silencer, and welded on a galvanize cap for a chain-link fence post. Then they drilled two quarter inch holes in the cap. I wonder how it will perform?

42CF50FD-CF49-4572-AE1C-75435E702D6F.jpeg
1BB2D9CB-F42C-464F-A31F-5DAB38D3BE5B.jpeg

While I was servicing the clutch unit, I noticed this chunk missing from the clutch bell keyway. It shouldn’t affect anything, but I wonder how the hell that happened.

image.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Seth B Wrote:

> While I was servicing the clutch unit, I noticed this chunk missing from

> the clutch bell keyway. It shouldn’t affect anything, but I wonder how

> the hell that happened.

Someone tried to hammer on the bell with too large a key in there, just blasted out the casting as the key created a wedge.

Makes sense.

The result, not the action. Idiot.

If you think the motor is otherwise fine, you can drill and tap the end of the crank

Seems as though it would be tough to drill it straight, but not a bad idea. Then just use blue Loctite to keep it from backing out? Or would the OG bendy lock washer still work (that I don't have).

Ahh yes "drill it straight ". Let's see a shaft rotating at 8000 rpm can be off midline how much???.

I'm sure if we got a man to the Moon at some point, place and time this could occur. Mere mortals just replace things.

Probably Fred /

Ya so much work for so little speed and power

I avoid all those bikes like the plague

^^ I like more than Bologna on light bread.

I got my crank in the mail from Stephen yesterday. Thanks dude! Gonna order up a gasket set from treats and find a toaster oven at a thrift store. I don't wanna put this old used motor in my kitchen oven. New crank bearings are one thing.

> Seth B Wrote:

> I got my crank in the mail from Stephen yesterday. Thanks dude! Gonna

> order up a gasket set from treats and find a toaster oven at a thrift

> store. I don't wanna put this old used motor in my kitchen oven. New

> crank bearings are one thing.

I'm glad it made it safely! If you need anything else let me know.

Nice !

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account