BBQ pipe with sidebleed?

Captain Janeway /

I have a Weakends pipe that looks like this one:

https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-honda-urban-express-NU50-people-s-sidebleed-p/mlm-express-pipe-523.htm

I think part of part of performance problem is restriction in the sidebleed. This is a pipe where the stinger is completely sealed. No rivets, no screws. It's solid. I'd need to find someone with something to cut and weld with or go running to a shop.

Will just BBQ even help if I think it's clogged since I can't change baffling, or do I need to a shop for cut and weld? I figure that heavy duty steel wool pad is good enough for baffle material.

Thanks

Re: BBQ pipe with sidebleed?

Dirty30 Dillon /

All the WE pipes are solid built, which stinks for repacking but the other alternative would have made them pricier still back in the day.

I really doubt that the restriction you are seeing is in the sidebleed stinger, you really should not be building up any carbon half way through the pipe. I am guessing the bike feels dogged because you have no baffle material left. Easiest way is to cut the end of the baffle off and repack with two stroke packing material (it's really cheap), and then reweld.

The better solution is to re-engineer the end cap to include a repackable stinger so you can keep using that pipe forever.

Either way, please don't use steel wool. It "works," but not as well and eventually becomes a rusty, compacted slug in the bottom of the stinger.

Captain Janeway /

Thanks Dillon. I'll look for the packing material and I guess take it to a shop to get it chopped and welded. Dremel's really hard to use on that 1/4" steel (I'm guessing it's the same size as that header, but who knows). If it's thinner I guess I can try to cut it with a Dremel. Anyone know thickness?

I keep thinking of buying the MLM. That WE is a really pain to get on and off even with all the hacking that's been done on it.

1/4" steel ? I doubt ... You'd probably be able to cut the end off with a hacksaw . Then make a removable cap .

As for baffle packing , consider brass wool . No rust and it can be cleaned and reused many times or just replaced easily once the end cap is worked out .

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, it's definitely not 1/4". Most likely 18ga. sheet which is quite easy to dremel through.

I still stand by the fact that you should be using 2t packing. You can get an

FMF Pack

for $11 shipped two-day for free to your door. It's cheaper than brass wool.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah, it's definitely not 1/4". Most likely 18ga. sheet which is quite

> easy to dremel through.

>

> I still stand by the fact that you should be using 2t packing. You can

> get an FMF Pack for $11 shipped two-day for free to your door. It's

> cheaper than brass wool.

But , brass wool is available at almost any corner store and reusable . That makes it cheaper than 2t packing . LOL Just having fun .

No real matter . Do what ever you want . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account