Which one to build, E50, ZA50 or 103SP?

I've got 2 Maxi Sport Mk2's, one E50, one ZA50. I've had them for around 6 or 7 years.

At first I splurged cash on parts for the ZA50 like any excited noob: DMP 70cc kit, Top racing crank, 15mm Bing and intake, Tecno Boss, kickstart springs, Atomic pucks, Teflon case gaskets and all the seals and stuff. I was scared to tackle it alone, so I got a friend who knows motorcycles and mopeds inside out to help me. We (him, I half watched and drank beer) stripped it down and then impending fatherhood took hold and it all got put in a box. I wasn't really paying attention when my friend stripped it down, so it is all there, but what goes where is unknown to me.

The E50 came a year after the ZA50. I wanted something that ran to use to go to work or a jaunt in the country in the evening. I then wanted more and bought a Tecno Circuit and a mesh filter for it. I enlisted my friend again to give it a light case match and port, again I didn't pay attention. I never eventually got around to jetting it correctly and something else got in the way.

Fast forward and I've moved from the UK to France, with the Puch's and did what most would do in the country of mopeds, bought a Peugeot 103SP. I was high on excitement and just bought it and then checked it out afterwards! It runs, but the throttle doesn't always return. I checked the slide works and moves freely, so I need to check the cable and throttle next, but a house renovation took hold.

You get the picture now, I have all the intention, but get sidetracked! Now I'm fed up of doing the house renovation and it's beautiful riding weather outside. I'm no mechanic, but I'm a practical person with a decent array of tools.

TLDR: 3 bikes and a build noob. E50, ZA50 or 103SP, which one to get me out on the road quickest?

Re: Which one to build, E50, ZA50 or 103SP?

BTW. I've got all the seals and a new rod for the E50 too. The 103SP has nothing with, but has a clone SHA 15 and Gianelli pipe. I'm certain the Puch's are 1.5hp and 2 hp and I have 2 14mm Bings, but don't know the slide and needle situations.

" and it's beautiful riding weather outside. " That's the clue to finish the one that needs the least amount of work. Deal with the other ones in the winter.

That is true! I suppose the E50 with Tecno circuit and mesh filter then! It literally just needs jetting, although I may check, clean and set the timing, just need to read up on it.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

quickest? E50

Quickest would be buy one that runs . LOL

Just by reading what you posted it sounds like the Pug just needs throttle cable or carby attention and you are on the road so that would be the logical one to give up an afternoon to and get it going.

OR

The E50 sounds like the next consideration as it is very technically basic and easy to fix or seek advice if it puts up a fight.

The ZA50 will be a excellent off season bike to get back to the road.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Just go buy another that runs and rides.

Overpriced Parts /

If your in France run a French bike

Josiah Radebaugh /

I'd say Peugeot.... But, that's just cause I like em'

The problem is, they all ran when I bought them! The ZA50 was a concious strip down, I was new to mopeds and got all excited. The E50 was to use as a runner whilst the ZA50 was getting done, but then I messed with it and lost momentum! I am swaying towards just going back over the E50 and getting it road ready and jetted right. The peugeot was running, albeit with the sticky throttle and it rips too. The peugeot was meant to be a run around whilst the ZA50 and E50 were out of action. The peugeot also has a leaky black stuff situation at the ball joint spring part of the exhaust, but I assume that is normal as that is a pivot point and cannot seal properly. Puchs are fairly non existant in France, so would be a novelty factor for some of the locals. There is a group of 3 or 4 motobecanes that go past my house every now and again, but I'm always too late to wave them down.

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> TLDR: 3 bikes and a build noob. E50, ZA50 or 103SP, which one to get me

> out on the road quickest?

None of the above.

You need to buy another moped.

One that is working and running good whipe you finish all the above.

Ball connection will always weep, when the weep becomes more of a messy leak it is telling you that it is time for a exhause cleaning...

...sticky throttle - if you have a SHA installed then route the cable NOT inside the spring but cable first then assemble to the spring and install so the spring does not bind on the cable.

> Ryan Graeme Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The problem is, they all ran when I bought them! The ZA50 was a concious

> strip down, I was new to mopeds and got all excited. The E50 was to use

> as a runner whilst the ZA50 was getting done, but then I messed with it

> and lost momentum! I am swaying towards just going back over the E50 and

> getting it road ready and jetted right. The peugeot was running, albeit

> with the sticky throttle and it rips too. The peugeot was meant to be a

> run around whilst the ZA50 and E50 were out of action. The peugeot also

> has a leaky black stuff situation at the ball joint spring part of the

> exhaust, but I assume that is normal as that is a pivot point and cannot

> seal properly. Puchs are fairly non existant in France, so would be a

> novelty factor for some of the locals. There is a group of 3 or 4

> motobecanes that go past my house every now and again, but I'm always

> too late to wave them down.

You know Rebel, that might be the problem. I've had the Peugeot about 3 years now. I bought it from a French friend and he had just put all new cables on it. The throttle stuck when I went to view it and he said to be careful when starting it up. I said to him a week or so later that I tried looking in to the problem and he said he had spoken to someone who knows them better and he said something about a spring in the carb. I hadn't touched it since!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account