Determining year of Yamaha Chappy 50? Also, flat tire fix?

Jude Haverington /

Hi guys - brand new here - Just found this awesome site - good work guys.

Somebody gave me a Chappy years ago when he was moving, and he did not want it. Never had any experience with a moped/scooter before - but I got it started, and rode it home. It's a blast of fun.

It has an old license plate that says '78, but I have no information on this bike. How do I figure the exact year? (I know it's a '50' because it does not go past 20 mph.)

That leads me to the next question - it has a flat rear tire, and my usual guy retired, and now I'm stuck with two other shops in the area who each want $80 plus parts to fix the tire. (In the past, it would cost about $40.) All the lights stopped working recently, as well.

The rear-view mirrors also have fell off - I can't see how they normally would be attached - anyone know? I want to order new ones and put them on.

I'm in Northern coastal Massachusetts if anybody knows of somebody who can do the job for a reasonable rate. I'm not at a point where I'm working on it myself yet. One of the shops I went to - he didn't know what a Chappy was and was googling it in front of me, and the other didn't know if it has tubes or not - I'd prefer to connect with somebody who actually knows their small bikes.

The bike has pedals, but they don't do anything - they cycle freely - is that normal?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Jude (edited)

Re: Determining year of Yamaha Chappy 50? Also, flat tire fix?

> It has an old license plate that says '78, but I have no information on

> this bike. How do I figure the exact year? (I know it's a '50' because

> it does not go past 20 mph.)

check on the side of the headtube for a stamped model/serial number and post it here.

> That leads me to the next question - it has a flat rear tire, and my

> usual guy retired, and now I'm stuck with two other shops in the area

> who each want $80 plus parts to fix the tire. (In the past, it would

> cost about $40.) All the lights stopped working recently, as well.

lights no longer working generally means dead battery.

> The rear-view mirrors also have fell off - I can't see how they normally

> would be attached - anyone know? I want to order new ones and put them

> on.

the mirrors thread into the handlebar control mounts. do you have the original mirrors?

> I'm in Northern coastal Massachusetts if anybody knows of somebody who

> can do the job for a reasonable rate. I'm not at a point where I'm

> working on it myself yet. One of the shops I went to - he didn't know

> what a Chappy was and was googling it in front of me, and the other

> didn't know if it has tubes or not - I'd prefer to connect with somebody

> who actually knows their small bikes.

chappy def. uses tubes. i just picked up a couple on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015MHV5R2/

consider replacing those tires too... my originals were hard and starting to crack.

i'm in northwest central RI and i'd help you out, but if you're in salem/beverly/etc it's a bit of a hike.

> The bike has pedals, but they don't do anything - they cycle freely - is

> that normal?

sounds like someone removed the pedal chain. (edited)

You should be able to lock the pedals both forward like foot pegs if the pedal chain is absent.

Dirty30 Dillon /

What Stephen Said concerning the pedals, but also your lights should function without the battery, or even with a dead battery hooked up.

These tires/tubes are super easy to change your self if they are the same as my Chappy 80. The rims bolt together, if you pop out the bolts the rim separates, stick new tube in new tire. Bolt rim halves together and your done. I think it took me an hour including cleaning up the old rust.

Andrew Squiggman /

Get the knobby tires from treats too. I got a set. Fantastic off road grip.

Jude Haverington /

Hi guys

Sorry for the delay in getting back on here - Been melting with the heat wave we've had for the past few weeks.

I really appreciate everybody's input here. I was finally able to get some pictures today. I found two numbers - one on the right side, and another on the left. What do you guys think?

Is $80 for 1 hour, plus parts, over the top for having a local shop change the tire, or is that within reason?

I have one of the original mirrors, but it doesn't have any thread at the end. It just fell out. The other one "disappeared" when the bike was returned to me from storage a few years ago.

Ken; do you have a shop?

Thank you everyone, and look forward to participating more often here. (edited)

ChappyNumber.jpg
ChappyNumber6.jpg

Andrew Squiggman /

The rims halves unbolt from each other,just unbolt them, pull them apart, put new tube and tire in ther e and bolt the two halves together. Easiest tire replacement ever. You shouldn’t need to pay someone to do that.

And the date of manufacture is on a foil sticker on the head tube behind the headlight bucket.

Eric Migliorino /

The 2U7 indicates it’s an LB50 and as Silverside stated, the year will be on the sticker on the neck. The low serial number indicates to me it’s probably a 1978 model. LB50’s were made 1978-82. More pictures would help in diagnosing your issues.

These are tubes I’ve purchased off Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IKXNGR8/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Tires can be found on www.Treatland.tv

Just type in “Chappy” in the search box and you’ll find 3 tires Treats carries. Whitewall Shinko and Michelin S83’s for on road and the 3rd is a Shinko knobby for off-road.

Tires are easy due to split rim configuration. No need for a tire changer. Just be patient breaking the bead. Squeezing the old tire in a vice helps.

Chappy’s are fairly simple machines, although more complex than other mopeds, being they were small motorcycles to begin with before adding pedals to the swing arm and reducing the engine size to 49cc’s. Best bet is to buy an old shop manual off eBay for $15-20 like one one in the link below.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202756233218

Better to learn to fix yourself as very few people will know how to work on this bike, especially a Yamaha dealership since it is so old and won’t want to be bothered.

Good luck, ask questions and please send pictures.

Eric

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account