My buddy Jerry claims his express headlight keeps blowing

Honda-NC50-US-and-NA50.jpg

He claims.all bulbs are oem and it has a functional battery. He's giving me a time frame to ride to a beer garden and that's pissing me off. How do I make his headlight survive and shine on. I'm sure I have a Hobbit resistor used for low beams around. Need to get this fixed by 6 pm Pacific daylight dome. Or three hours from now.

Re: My buddy Jerry claims his express headlight keeps blowing

flashlight + duct tape = beer

figure that shit out while you're hungover tomorrow

Yup that's one option...then flash light falls off , hits spokes , flips rider , oh I've now got to tell his wife. .....

saw or dremel out the bulb from the housing, and solder in a 12v socket and put in a high wattage 12V bulb. end of problem

12 v get tractor bulb??? It's halogen I believe. Why bother with all the Dremel stuff if u can pop in a whole unit. I think aftermarket stuff fits in Honda buckets. But I agree all my led and halogen Hobbit stuff is on butchered stock. I'm going to look right now seeing I just pulled off a Hobbit bucket in my watercooler build.

15624590164247585392191973686505.jpg

You are totally right. Only way to use the bucket is with at least the backing of the lamp . It's so amazingly over engineered. Mid century Japanese creativity. That's why I love wrenching on my hobbits.

You know there is a high beam on these right????

Seriously though,

Mine had a functional battery too when I noticed a problem. Lucky for me I was paying attention when it happened.

I was riding home from work one night and happened to notice my headlight get brighter than normal. Upon stopping immediately to investigate I found a loose connection to my battery under the seat. Of course the bad connection caused the full load from the generator to go to the headlight. Had I kept going I would have blown the headlight for sure.

Problem solved end of story. Never lost a headlight bulb on the Honda.

I cut one up and used one of those oversized Tomos bulbs once. High and low beam

The headlight has its own dedicated magneto coil. Another for charging the battery and the third is for ignition.

What does the battery do

So you are saying that the battery acts as the voltage regulator. This is what I suspect. That's what the silicon rectifier does ,. I converts excess AC to DC and into battery. But this is a guess and I'm not saying it's so. But I suspect it to have this similarity to a trail tech five wire. Or without a battery it doesn't control the ac voltage. When the AC volts greater than the predetermined parameter and on way to shed them ...unit turns off or no output. So likewise I suspect Jerry has some kind of battery circuit problem and electrons can't.sink in there.

Yes battery is regulator for tail light, brake and gauge lights.

After thinking about my statement earlier, I realized the guage indicator light may have been what went bright on me. Battery is on separate circuit from head light and each have their respective mag coils.

High and low beam both are on the same coil(high beam indicator lamp too). When you turn on key every thing else works off of battery. Its not until you start the motor that the headlight comes on. Headlight has its own dedicated circuit. (edited)

And what regulates the energy to the headlight? Something must .

Nothing.

Follow yellow wire from mag coil in wiring diagram. Goes to handle bar dip switch. Legend below switch shows high beam and low beam connections within switch. High beam is blue wire and low beam is white wire coming out of switch. Curcuit is completed to ground through green wire. High beam indicator was on 79 and up express. (edited)

The other lighting coil charges battery and the battery runs tail/brake, horn and speedo light. (White wire in diagram)

When you turn on key all those should work with engine off if battery is good.

You might look to see if the yellow and white wires are crossed at the bullet connectors coming out of the magneto.

Those should be going into frame tube just to front and below carb on top of engine. (edited)

Now im getting "find an electrician" ads lmao.

Yes the blue and white etc is Hobbit . What I find different is the low beam on a Hobbit has a resistor in series , and the high seemingly not . I only know the earlier points wiring not the wiring with the battery and yes cdi. That's why , though I agree that my read of the diagram seems to have the battery doing something else somehow that battery IS the voltage regulator for the headlight. It's just I can't see it. But I'm trusting the force that it's there.

Jerry well is Jerry and is sort of recalcitrant on actually doing anything other than " hey I'm only doing this daytime sonthebnext owner can play with a $30 light not me. I just want to make it work even if it takes one of my precious Stanley's. That if I can pull it off will donate the rim with the bucket attachments to possibly a Larsen led tractor headlight.

But I did give him a primo express lime green headlight bucket to replace his cracked one and really I love to see the light go on even in the day.

I suppose the battery could be regulating from the ground side but that would mean it also regulates the ignition too, no?

I don't think so, the terminal came unhooked from my battery, engine ran as well as it does....light popped. :/

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I don't think so, the terminal came unhooked from my battery, engine ran

> as well as it does....light popped. :/

So then you are verifying what i thought I saw on my bike in my story above^. I think that by having a battery and rectifier wired in that it draws all the coils down through the ground side. Remember all three coils are throwing out a.c.

So with that in mind the coils were designed to put out extra to compensate. When you loose the battery it overloads.

Otherwise the japs would of designed coils suitable for the job without overload.

In other words the battery doesn't regulate it was compensated for by design. All coils on bike are "drawn down" with a d.c. battery and rectifier wired in?? (edited)

Ok Marc,

I noticed Jerry Coates expertise in another thread and asked for his opinion on all this including my last post above.^^^

This was copied and pasted from my personal messages. Thanks again Jerry for your time and insight.

"I think you are a bit off track with your last post. You were correct when you said earlier the 3 generator coils have separate and independent jobs. They are all grounded because that is the return path for the negative side of equipment. The yellow coil only powers the hi/low headlight bulb, there does not seem to be any regulator for it but that is quite normal. Bulbs will work with AC or DC and will only draw the current they need, however if the voltage is too high it will blow the bulb. Extreme vibration can also kill a bulb particular when it's on. Reasons voltage may be to high, voltage increases with engine speed, if the engine is running faster than stock voltage will be higher than designed or if the generator bell/rotor has been changed for one with more magnetic poles it would have the same effect as the engine running faster. Or if one or both of the wires from the other two generator coils have connected to the yellow coil wire somewhere the voltage would be higher. It is correct that a battery can partly or even completely regulate voltage but this only applies to DC. The battery circuit in the diagram is completely separate from the headlight. I would connect an AC volt meter across the bulb and monitor it while running the engine, if it significantly exceeds the voltage of the bulb that is the problem. I hope this is a help."

Yes it's clear. Check the ac volts when rev ing and act accordingly. Ie regulate it. Or put a resistor in parallel.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account