AMF Roadmaster doofus bike How to access clutch?

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I was riding my McCollogh AMF and the clutch got stuck engaged. I am pretty sure you access it from behind the flywheel, but never had a clutch issue on any I have owned ever, so here is a motor I actually have never taken apart (never needed to!) I know these little POS have so many booby traps, I figure it is best to ask before dismantling. So what is the easiest way to check the clutch? maybe just a sring came unhooked or something got jammed in there causing it to stick.

Re: AMF Roadmaster doofus bike How to access clutch?

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

The thing runs like new but stopped disengaging. I know there are a few crazies who collect and follow these odd birds. Someone please tell me the best way to get to the clutch.

Put an ad in the repair forum.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

So I figured it out myself without breaking anything! What a pain to remove the crankshaft nut. It had a twig stuck in there that got past the plastic clutch shield.

I actually rode the doofusmobile 10 miles to work today. It is reliable, super quiet, and has the brightest lights and loudest horn of any ped I own. It almost made me forget it struggles to hit 20mph. Almost

How did you go about replacing the clutch?

Pushrod Fifty /

I'm waiting for one to appear in the free bike pile at the dump. I've had fun making dufus bikes cool looking before.

Where do you get the correct rear tire for these? It takes a 20x2.0 with a really hard, flat surface. I picked up two bikes several years ago from a really impressive 15-year-old for $160.

One ran, one was a parts bike. I wanted one just to say I had one of the worst bikes out there. I even went on eBay to get a good front fender. I've SEEN it run, but haven't ridden mine. And I want all my bikes to run eventually. The only thing stopping me is a good rear tire.

> Trent Anderson wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Where do you get the correct rear tire for these? It takes a 20x2.0

> with a really hard, flat surface. I picked up two bikes several years

> ago from a really impressive 15-year-old for $160.

>

> One ran, one was a parts bike. I wanted one just to say I had one of

> the worst bikes out there. I even went on eBay to get a good front

> fender. I've SEEN it run, but haven't ridden mine. And I want all my

> bikes to run eventually. The only thing stopping me is a good rear

> tire.

Ive never ridden one of these but have ridden two wheelers with flat profile tires. They absolutely do not turn into a corner for shit.

While I’m not sure about the tires, I have ridden one of these. Its a fun little cruise. 10 mph has never felt so fun in my life.

You could use the 2.00x16 tire for a solex 5000.

Marc in STL has 10 of these AMFs.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account