Honda NA50 and Iowa Titles

Over the winter I picked up a 1981 Honda Express II NA50 that needed work. It's been sitting in my garage while I try to figure out what to do with it. The issues I'm running into are:

1) Title. Need to find a way to get it titled so that I can ride it on the road. Does anyone know a way to do this that isn't a huge pain in the ass and expensive? On a different moped I registered it in Michigan in my name, but no one at my local DMV would accept a Michigan registration that is in my own name. They told me that I would have to apply for a bonded title. This makes me think that the Vermont trick wouldn't work for me.

2) Spokes. The rear wheel has 3 or 4 broken spokes that will need to be replaced. Is this something that I can just take to a bike shop and pay them to do? Do they require special spokes? I heard that NC50 spokes don't work on the NA50, is that correct?

3) Cylinder. The cylinder and piston are seized together and the top of the piston is beat up. I'm thinking that I will need a new top end. I was looking at getting the Honda Hobbit Stocko Shocko 60.2cc Kit would the stock carb be tunable or are the jets pressed into it? I wasn't planning on replacing the carb, and maybe it will be easier to just get a new piston and hone the cylinder? I'm also not planning on opening up the crank case. I'm trying to keep from digging too much into this.

Besides those big parts (mostly the title) it needs some smaller things like gas caps, hoses, carb cleaning, battery, tubes, tires, and a thorough cleaning. I just want to make sure that once I'm done with it, I can enjoy it to it's full potential.

Re: Honda NA50 and Iowa Titles

You might consider going the Vermont route :

https://mopedarmy.com/wiki/Mail_in_Registration

Andrew Squiggman /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> You might consider going the Vermont route :

>

> https://mopedarmy.com/wiki/Mail_in_Registration

He said he didn’t think the Vermont thing would work for him.

Yeah unless it carrys more weight than a Michigan title, which it might. I'm not sure. For $60 it might be worth a shot.

> Andrew Squiggman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You might consider going the Vermont route :

>

> >

>

> > https://mopedarmy.com/wiki/Mail_in_Registration

>

> He said he didn’t think the Vermont thing would work for him.

He should at least try . Think all you want . Definition comes from doing .

Any friends in MN? Easy to title mopeds here, then they "sell" it to you. Or Vermont, if they will not give you an Iowa title, just renew it in Vermont.

I do actually have a lot of friends up north and head there often. How hard is it to title one for you guys?

They fill out a "statement of facts" form, avail at DMV, use your info as "seller" state abandoned on property or some such, insert their address and info, provide an insurance policy #, DMV does not run it, but you have to write one in, I used my moped policy # even though the bike I was titling was not actually covered, again they do NOT check it, but you have to have it. Provide 4 pics of bike both sides/ front rear, and I think of ID plate. Pay about $45.00, you get a plate on the spot, and the title comes to them in about 3 months, we have had glitches in our system, that's how long my last one took. When title comes to them have them fill it out send it to you, and you transfer to your name in Iowa. Only thing is the bike can not have been registered in MN for 7 yrs, if so, you are good to go.

Hmm that doesnt sound so bad. The thing I'm worried about is the insurance part. Not sure what my friend would put down for that or if he would be comfortable with it.

They could use an auto policy #, the DMV does not check, I offered to show them my card, and they did not want to see it, just write in the number sir. They can't get in trouble since the thing is not on the road, and looks a long way from being road legal, so long as transferred by the time you ride it, no issues, you could let them keep the plate if they don't trust you. I've done it several times, but with my moped ins number, it is not much different than my car policy number, the bike I titled is not on the road yet, but if it were, I would add it, but think about it, people change ins all the time, you don't need to show the # again until time for new tabs, and if you don't buy new tabs no one knows. They don't run it, the DMV is not a law enforcement agency.

Addendum, a title is different than a registration, so if Vermont provides a title, and I think they do, you should be able to transfer it to Iowa, before bugging your friend go to your Dmv ask I want to buy a moped from a buddy in MN, it's titled there, I can transfer it here right?

From what I've read, Vermont just provides a registration. I could be wrong though. If MN gives you an actual title along with the registration, I would for sure be good.

MN provides a title. All my mopeds have one, except my express, I have the paperwork, just haven't the spare time to go down and do the deed, but I did a QT-50 this spring, got my plate and title.

Awesome, I'll have to look into it and see if my friend is willing to help me out!

On another note, I got the carb disassembled and it's taking an ultrasonic bath. Looks like I lucked out and it has removable jets! I am going to clean up the stock carb and tune the jets to keep costs lower.

Cool, I have to do that to mine, runs "ok" for a while then quits idling, oddly enough if you fire it up later it may or may not idle, my petcock is shot and tank fairly crusty...so cic or crud in carb....will need a filter, I'm NOT taking that damn tank off, a note get a good battery before you fire it up, or you will blow your light bulbs. If your friend will not do it, I could, we could most likely get it done via mail.

So I've been doing a ton of research, and decided to unseize the engine today. Sprayed carb cleaner in it, and slowly worked it back and fourth until it came apart without putting too much force on it.

Once I had it cracked open I found out that the inside is even worse than I had imagined, and the moped engine needs a complete rebuild. Does anyone know how difficult/costly that would be? I'm guessing new bearings/seals and crankshaft because everything is currently covered in an oily mud. I'm thinking the 2 stroke oil leaked into the crank case and became gooey? The transmission side is pretty clean, and the rest of the bike isn't very dirty.

I'm wondering if I should admit defeat and either sell it or part it out? This is beginning to become more of a project than what I intended. Anyone interested in a cheap Honda Express parts bike? I have all the parts that aren't shown in the photos.

William Johnson /

How much money do you have Into this bike? Might be easier to part it out and start with a bike with a title.

Part it or find another good motor cheap.

I haven't put any money into it yet besides the purchase price. If anyone wants a parts bike I will let it go for cheap. I'm located in Eastern, Iowa and can help deliver within reason. Ran when parked. Just needs carb cleaned. Haha just kidding, but really if anyone wants it for parts let me know.

what Stephan said, I bought one up there and the guy titled it for me, I do all my ins at formost although I think dairyland used to be really cheap.

I have an 81 I parted that was running.

But it was not a express 2.

Express 2 is a 2 speed no?

Yeah this one is a 2 speed with kickstart and CDI. I will post an ad in the Buy and Sell soon

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account