Any Active Flandria Bermuda people on here?

I picked up this 1977 Bermuda yesterday along with a few other mopeds. Been reading a little bit about it. It came with two motors, one wet clutch and one dry clutch. The original motor seems to be missing clutch parts, and fly wheel cover. The bike is also missing a few other random bits. But overall in fair shape. It’s the Hampton model with the aluminum wheels. I’d be interested in any information y’all would like to share. Are there any parts available for these at all? I know it’s not the coolest of the mopeds, but I kinda like it.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Re: Any Active Flandria Bermuda people on here?

It's a real oddball, I think one model of them had some sort of dual variation going on, knew a guy with one, he had a hell of a time finding parts,,,sold it off. If anyone knows it will be on here, best of luck with it!

They're attractive bikes in a motobecane clone kind of way. I'd be tempted to swap in a more common motor.

I believe this model is called a "Flandria Penny" over here, that might help you on your search.

Guy near me had a parts pile, I haven't heard from him in like 2 years though.

I drafted an email of all the info I found for him but I never got his email address. Give me your email and ill send it to you. (edited)

> Full Tuck Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Guy near me had a parts pile, I haven't heard from him in like 2 years

> though.

>

> I drafted an email of all the info I found for him but I never got his

> s email address. Give me your email and ill send it to you.

Thanks bud. It's

smb_2002@yahoo.com

I appreciate the info.

I shipped a metric ton of NOS flandria parts to treats that haven't been listed on the site yet, not to mention I keep digging up more all the time, list NOS pistons, my God Im swimming in them. Contract treats and ask them about the flandria stuff from Goshen mopeds. I'm sure benji can help you out.

Thanks for the tip, Josh. I'll hit em up.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I had a unicorn dual variated Bermuda. The large pulley expanded yeilding a smaller radius under rpm. It looked like you would have no trouble adapting a Motobecane or Peugeot dual pulley, mght even bolt right up if you are so inclined. They are 2 legged dog slow otherwise.

Yeah, they only top out at 25 if not restricted, but will climb an 11% grade without pedaling. If I can find the clutch parts to get it running, I will see about dual variating it. If I can't find what I need, I may have to part it out. I'll wait a year or two before I do that. Missing one side cover- good luck. Also missing rear brake plate and axle, but I think Sachs will work. Need one switch and levers too. Perches are there, but no brake, decomp, or choke levers.

Gotta find a clutch.

They were made in Belgium so they have plenty of parts there. On the facebook group "oldtimer brommers" are a lot of Belgians with Flandrias that could be of help.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

I wish I could find a decent flandria in my area... They’re probably my favorite frame design, and the fact that they were used as tourist movers in Bermuda is just the coolest thing.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I think I have the brake plate, maybe even the entire wheel assembly/brake/axle

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> I think I have the brake plate, maybe even the entire wheel

> assembly/brake/axle

Let me know if you find it. My wheel is good, but the brakes and axle are gone.

On another note, I wonder how the wet clutch one speed non variated motor is for power? It looks like a V1 kinda, with the pedal shaft built in. I guess you kick it backwards to start it. I thought about putting that engine in since its complete, but I don't know if it will mount up. I would have to eliminate the OG pedal shaft and chain. Options.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Does that wet clutch one just bolt right in? I wasnt aware that they were interchangeable. I had that motor (nonvariated wet clutch guy) in a flandria apollo. It was very very slow, like 25 max and took a good mile to get there, but had a neat automatic engine disengage that would allow the bike to coast faster than the engine was turning.

I tried a lot of silly things to get it faster with basically no success. Your motor has the later piston port at least vs the wierd crank-arm inducted setup on the old one. I had one of each, neither was more impressive performance wise but the version you have is at least much easier

Will, It looks like it would bolt on, with the exception of the pedal shaft and bracketry that is the frame. I haven't tried yet, as I haven't even put it on the bench yet, but the possibility intrigued me.

It seems that everything I hear or read indicates a 25 mph optimistic top speed, but that's okay. I like rolling slow sometimes. Was yours at least torquey on hills?

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

My dual variated Flandria had the dry clutch but did 32 easily with nothing more than a little pipe de-restricting. What a huge difference.

the only things I could say in favor of the Flandria Apollo motor were the auto disengage when you were rolling faster than the motor, that was real cool, and at rallies let friends give me a push up to 40 or whatever or you coast downhill fast, and the engine can be sitting there at idle and as you rev it up it only engages when it's revving faster than it's going, like it just picks you up from coasting. nice feature

and the pedals were good, high pedal ratio let you actually push it, up to almost 20 if you were crushing on the pedals. which was good, because no - it was not torque on hills at all. I mean it went everywhere but it didn't do any of it quickly...

Still it was definitely fun as hell and I really loved riding it.

that's the old motor, it was case inducted through the middle of the crank arms on the ignition side. it makes no sense, totally insane design. I later swapped it to the one you have, and it bolted right up but had no benefit

the before pic:

old engine:

clutch disengage:

insane crank induction design:

then later I welded all new mounts for a KTM 50 minarelli s6 motor and it ripped stupid fast and then sold it and the clutches exploded and someone has it somewhere, I lost track, maybe in new orleans...

This crank induction looks like another version of a rotary valve :

That's a cool little bike. Barely looks bigger than a BMX bike.

What a goofy crank induction setup; who comes up with this stuff?

> Seth B Wrote:

>

> What a goofy crank induction setup; who comes up with this stuff?

Take a look at the crank out of my '57 Simplex :

Note the hole just left of the counterweight . That's the inlet . The outlet is a hole on the right side of the counterweight .

The set up replaced a more complicated rotary valve system used in earlier models .

Engineers come up with some goofy stuff.

But don't we all?

I'm getting 30mph on mine. Flandria,Bermuda 1976

16103010630601539166918.jpg

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /
Flandriadualvariated.jpg

Thank you for bringing back a 2 year old thread! I was getting 33mph out of my dual variated Bermuda. It also has really nice acceleration.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /
Flandria003.JPG

This makes all the difference . Factory dual variator

Wow she's nice! Yeah i don't here much about them. Im proud to own one!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account