2hp Magnum in a state that only allows 1hp/20mph mopeds.

Jonathan Bennett /

So I bought a 1979 Magnum XK in pretty great shape but it's a 2hp. Unfortunately the state I live in only allows 50cc, 1hp and 20mph or less to be considered a moped. Fortunately on the "Approved Moped List" the state list the Puch Magnum XK as an approved bike and there's only two ways I know of for a cop to tell it's not a 1hp. That's to clock me going more than 20 or to count the teeth on the front drive sprocket, which is 16, which correlates to a 2hp.

So, my thought would be to change that sprocket to a 13 or 14 tooth. Beside limiting the top speed and increasing the low-end power, would this do any damage to the engine? Cause it to rev too high or something?

I just don't want to jump through the hoops of having to add turn signals and anything else a motorcycle would need. I wouldn't have to title it, which can be a bit of a pain. And, I wouldn't have to get my motorcycle license.

Thanks,

JB

Re: 2hp Magnum in a state that only allows 1hp/20mph mopeds.

Don't be scared of doughnut munchers. You'll be fine.

Don't worry about it. The approved moped list is no longer a thing. I've been riding mopeds for close to 7 years in Ohio and I've never had an issue. My buddy got pulled over for no headlight on a built hobbit and the cop just told him to walk it home, dude even asked us "so what's the deal with these things" cause he didn't know what it was but it was plated appropriately. Don't speed too fast, don't do wheelies in front of cops, etc. and you'll be fine. At the end of the day, if your bike has pedals, and you get pulled over, the likelihood of a cop giving you shit for doing 30 as opposed to 20 is negligible.

I've had plenty of issues with police, but it's never the actual law that theyre worried about - hell I've been told if it didn't go OVER 35 I couldn't ride it on the road. You just need to have a plate, act nice, and mix in some luck. you'll probably be OK, but you're no more likely to get a ticket by having a bike that goe3s 30. My point is, and maybe im overly pessimistic, that police don't know the laws, you'll be fine with a 30mph or even a 50mph moped registere as a moped, and if cops feel like giving you a ticket, they were gonna find a way to get ya one for something anyway...

get someone to repro one of those puch "1 HP" decals and slap in on the frame. Done and done.

Andrew Squiggman /

No more than 1 hp allowed? Sounds like you live in a shithole state

Probably Fred /

In reply to https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,4288069,4288069#msg-4288069

Jonathan Bennett Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So I bought a 1979 Magnum XK in pretty great shape but it's a 2hp.

> Unfortunately the state I live in only allows 50cc, 1hp and 20mph or

> less to be considered a moped. Fortunately on the "Approved Moped List"

> the state list the Puch Magnum XK as an approved bike

They got rid of the list and now they’re using this dumb temporary form law for the next 3-4 years,

https://s3.amazonaws.com/odx-odps-content/links/bmv4510.pdf

You just fill out the form at the DMV stating it is a motorized bicycle/Moped 1HP 20 mph on the flat level, or whatever the form says so you can to get a plate,

5E634F20-5402-495E-8C30-8831A72258CD.jpeg

They do allow you to go faster downhill so if you get pulled over just say you can say going slight downhill or wind was pushing whatever

Stay to right and let cars pass if you have too but many places in Bay Village have a 25 Mph Rd. so you can stay in the middle of the road use hand signals instead of turn signals and you’ll be fine, I rode in Bay Village before it is not a problem

If a cop pulls you over tell him that is a Moped/motorized bike and show him the petals, you do not need nothing but a car drivers license or a moped license

you got explain to the police so you don’t get a ticket because they do not know the Moped laws and may give you some obscure ticket then you have to go to court and prove otherwise,

You could copy the old list on your and keep it on your phone to show that it’s on the approved list from a year or so ago,

I’ve had magnums for decades and rode throughout the Northeast Ohio and never had any problems, I don’t have to fill out that form though I just renew my plates and get a new sticker,

And you probably only have to fill it out once and then you can renew your plates and get a new sticker

Don't go flying down city streets or in front of the Staties and you'll be fine.

Next time you ride in Bay Village, Ken, feel free to run over my brother-in-law.

Jonathan Bennett /

Thanks y’all. That was the vote of confidence I needed!!! If y’all are ever up in Bay, drop me a message.

Probably Fred /

> Andrew Squiggman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> No more than 1 hp allowed? Sounds like you live in a shithole state

Ok troll Andy, I wouldn’t trade where I live for $5 million to live where you live! do to weather, cost of living, and safety not to mention only three months of cold weather if that and 1000 mi.² of wonderful riding area almost year around! many times the lake by never freezes over and when does freeze over it’s wonderful to take your bike across it!

73655F05-13CF-42C3-B6BC-3A7B6D773345.jpeg
54164EC3-BEEA-4450-A40F-5D64881DD826.jpeg

you’re such a miserable person Andy! And you know nothing about a moped if one would hit you in the head! You’re mostly a noped person, I feel sorry for you and your seven months of miserable northeast, weather and the High cost of living, with all heroin/ opioid addicting people and meth and or marijuana stoners that are living off the government all over your hood!

Sorry but I am living the life I never dreamed of though even I make like no money at all!

When you’re robbed, beat up or killed for any reason including the weather remember what you posted Ya freak!

> Andrew Squiggman Wrote:

> No more than 1 hp allowed? Sounds like you live in a shithole state

heh...

Hey Jonathon if you ever want to sell the Puch I'm in the market for a 2hp one thats in good condition all stock for like 500. I'm close by (Lakewood). Everything must work on it tho (switches, motor, lights, speedo, switch housings can't be broken or hanging, no rust, etc.) (edited)

Andrew Squiggman /

Lol! Ken.

GET OF MY LAWN YOU MARIJUANA STONERS!

Sorry but I had to get to my plants...

I'm a marijuana Stoner and I take offense at all of Ohio. Especially dumpy don

My motor vehicles knew I had a 2 hp model by doing a vin check. I came back 3 times to list technicalities with the vin number and the cute girl finally told me next time come in with insurance or I would be wasting my time.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I wouldn't worry about it... All of my bikes are illegal... I once did a speed run up to about 50 on an unregistered bike with no plates. Ripped past a State patrol and Sherrrif. If you don't drive like an idiot you'll be fine.... Say you do get pulled over....

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

If you are so concerned, find or reproduce the 1hp sticker that was on many Puchs

> kenny s Wrote:

> My motor vehicles knew I had a 2 hp model by doing a vin check. I came

> back 3 times to list technicalities with the vin number and the cute

> girl finally told me next time come in with insurance or I would be

> wasting my time.

In Ohio the people at the BMV literally don't know what a moped is, as long as you sign the paper saying it's a moped they'll give you plates

Hate to say it but Nick is right. You just fill out and sign the paper and you got plates. Amazing how easy it is in Ohio. I had a Streetmate back in 2011 that was kitted and did nearly 60mph (58 actually) on flat roads and sported a moped plate. Just fill out the form, sign it, they hand over the plate, and off you go! No insurance required in Ohio either btw

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account