Safari info needed

Hello all, new to the site. I have a Safari moped that was mine from new, I got it when I was 15. I was saving it for my son but he has no interest so its time to let it go. I believe it is somewhere between a 1980 and 82 and is a 400MT. I am looking for verification on anything that someone may know from looking at it. It ran when parked, I pretty much got my license at 17 and its been sitting in the garage ever since. I'm debating trying to get it running again, but I really don't have the time. Basically trying to figure out model and year and what it might be worth. If this is the wrong spot to post I apologize.

moped.jpg

Re: Safari info needed

well its a nice bike, has the harder to find variated C2 motor on it , i think it is later than the 82 model year . worth some money as long as the tanks are clean. this model has a tube frame tank and then the top tank. if you want to ride again then this is nice to have if not then people will buy this and fix it up to their liking . im originally from jersey but think most of these came thru md. if you have a number in mind then my brother has been looking to join the group i will let him know the costs.

Right now I am trying to verify model and year and value. I do not have a number in mind yet. I am open to offers and will see where it leads. It was purchased at Motor Bike Imports on Rt 130 in Pennsauken, NJ. I will be going over to my moms on Thursday, will try to get it out and cleaned up and see if there is a year on it anywhere.

why not get it running and enjoy it? i can tell already you're one of those people that is going to think the thing is worth a kajillion dollars so save yourself the headache of selling it and just keep it!

non running 400-600 to the right person

running 800 max

cleaned up, new tires and tubes, chain, running perfect and totally dialed in maybe max of 1000-1200 bucks

i'd fix it up, ride it around, see how you like it. might bring back some great memories.

> Fred Braue Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> well its a nice bike, has the harder to find variated C2 motor on it , i

> think it is later than the 82 model year . worth some money as long as

> the tanks are clean. this model has a tube frame tank and then the top

> tank. if you want to ride again then this is nice to have if not then

> people will buy this and fix it up to their liking . im originally from

> jersey but think most of these came thru md. if you have a number in

> mind then my brother has been looking to join the group i will let him

> know the costs.

Wow! A Minarelli variated! TWO gas tanks! You should keep it and enjoy the ride!

shit! that's sweet! I just sold a pretty junky safari for like 450, and that was friend price. You could probably pull 600 for that as-is, it's a real cool bike! fo0lks like top tanks too...

Seriously? You have no idea what type of a person I am. I posted here because I am trying to figure out what it is worth. I've had it for 35+ years and pretty sure that if I was interested in riding it I would have fixed it up by now. I didn't pick it up trying to flip it. I know what I have is not a POS. I am doing what they call due diligence. I've done some research and the numbers you threw out are what I was expecting. Someone will look at it and know what they are getting. I understand I am new here, but honestly did not expect a comment like that.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> why not get it running and enjoy it? i can tell already you're one of

> those people that is going to think the thing is worth a kajillion

> dollars so save yourself the headache of selling it and just keep it!

>

> non running 400-600 to the right person

>

> running 800 max

>

> cleaned up, new tires and tubes, chain, running perfect and totally

> dialed in maybe max of 1000-1200 bucks

>

> i'd fix it up, ride it around, see how you like it. might bring back

> some great memories.

Scott? I hope that goes to a good buyer that will enjoy it and keep it running forever.

That is not yer common moped and deserves to be used and appreciated.

Thank you, I'm hoping it will go to a good home. I am attached to it, but it deserves better than what its getting.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

shit! that's sweet! I just sold a pretty junky safari for like 450, and that was friend price. You could probably pull 600 for that as-is, it's a real cool bike! fo0lks like top tanks too...

$450 with that motor on it? Last i checked that motor was pretty rare, probably worth a few hundred by itself.

May I ask how old your son is?

Because this is easily how one of those "my dad had one of these but he sold it away 20 years ago, god i wish I still had it" kinda stories starts.

My dad had a Hasselblad decades ago that I had zero interest in so he sold it. I regret it to this day. (edited)

Scott,

Since you're not a child, how about you take a day and dig around the website and search the FS threads for historical prices. Graham did you a massive favor by bench racing prices that are accurate. He's not new around here as the dude is pretty much a forefather to this website. As for his opinion whether or not you should ride it or if you may or may not think it's worth a kajillion doll hairs... this website seems to locate new people all the time who ask the same questions and these individuals often fall into two categories.

"Hopeful Kajillionaires or Real wold Hundredaires"

Be honest with yourself, Graham's reply was rather harmless. Deep down, we all want to see that ped ridden. (edited)

Hmmmm.

At this rate I need a second home in Jersey.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I have owned many of these, one of my favorites. If you decide to sell, message me. I am in Boston but travel to NYC regularly and would pick up in person and pay cash or even Paypal if you prefer it. Or maybe you want a very nice extremely low mileage moped that you can enjoy immediately in exchange, before Summer becomes a memory? I have one in mind with 67 original miles on it, a super nice Peugeot SP103, running and looking like new. I am heading that way this coming Friday. Let me know.

Sold. But not to me.... well yes, actually... to me... But after several days of arrangements cell phones, pricing, agreeing, addresses and renting trailers.... now spontaneously sold to someone else with a brief apology... Sigh. Tale As Old As Time: it's not yours until it's in your own driveway. ce la vie 1 (well, ce la vie C2 but you know what I mean) (edited)

> Monti S Wrote:

> Sold. But not to me.... well yes, actually... to me... But after

> several days of arrangements cell phones, pricing, agreeing, addresses

> and renting trailers.... now spontaneously sold to someone else with a

> brief apology... Sigh. Tale As Old As Time: it's not yours until it's

> in your own driveway. ce la vie 1 (well, ce la vie C2 but you know what

> I mean)

I always hate it when that happens, but someone probably offered more money and scummy people then sometimes disregard all made arrangements.

(And its "c'est la vie")

Nothing is 'done' until it's done .

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

So I made an offer days ago right after my post above, and agreed to Paypal immediately. He asked me to wait until he sends me updated pics so there is no chance of me requesting a Paypal refund since as we all know, that does happen. A few minutes after he sent me the pics and I confirmed that the motor spun, I sent the cash. He did send me a text to send the cash right away because he had other people interested, but nothing about stringing anyone along like this. I think he really needed the money for something, which is why I was willing to send right away and even eat the fee (I added it to the payment). I have quite a fleet of unicorns, and am willing to give her up if you reimburse me, especially since you rented a trailer. Feel free to email me (it is in my profile). Maybe karma is with you this time!

Tri-ped Dave

@ Tri-ped Dave (and everyone) ... shout out for being cool and I appreciate the offer.

While I was really excited about the Safari, I can't be surprised that a first-post seller did it the way they did and I was crossing my fingers the whole time knowing he was likely to cave during a week-long wait: it's human nature and it certainly does not reflect on you in any way....no worries.

Honestly, I hope it's a nice as it looks and you give it a loving home.

And besides, I've since turned my attention to a couple "ran when parked" CT70's in my boss's garage so they should take the sting right out of it! haha!

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I don't think he was trying to be difficult towards you. I think he just needed the cash fast and was guarding against someone backing out as many often do. We all have seen that happen. Especially being new to here he doesn't know the pretenders from the icons. We all know there are plenty of both.

CT70s are bomb! Good on you. See Karma does exist. I am mildly jealous, I had a gold CT70H (manual clutch 4 speed) back in the day.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account