No Motorcycle Endorsement Ticket

outatime andy /

Has anyone else received a no motorcycle endorsement ticket for riding a modified moped? The officer said in Washington the law is that if it goes over 25mph you need an endorsement and it needs to be registered as a motorcycle. It was a hefty ticket.

IMG_5264.JPG

Re: No Motorcycle Endorsement Ticket

That's one of my big fears on the bikes I've put more effort into. I've got one I'd register if there was anyway to do it.

Well, you should have it registered and plated here...also, I believe the law is 30mph...but whatever, cop just wanted to be a dick

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Well, you should have it registered and plated here...also, I believe

> the law is 30mph...but whatever, cop just wanted to be a dick

Sounds more like a cop that actually knows the rules and did his job accordingly.

We have to know the laws .

If ya wanna play , ya gotta know the rules of the game .

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

If it’s registered as a moped, i’d plead not guilty, get a hearing, and see if the judge tells you that you need a motorcycle endorsement to operate a moped.

What is a moped?

To qualify as a moped, a vehicle:

Must have 2–3 wheels.

Must have an electric or liquid fuel motor with a cylinder displacement of less than 50 cc, and no more than 2 brake horsepower.

Can't travel faster than 30 miles per hour.

and

Must meet all the federal standards for a motor-driven cycle.Requirements

You don't need a motorcycle endorsement or auto insurance to ride a moped. However, to legally operate a moped in Washington:

You must have a valid driver license.

You must register the moped and display a valid license plate.

You and your passengers must wear USDOT-approved helmets.

You must wear eye protection if your moped doesn't have a windshield.

You can't ride the moped on a sidewalk, bicycle path, equestrian trail, hiking/recreational trail, or fully-controlled limited access highway.

https://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/mopeds.html

So , anything over and above the above description turns the corner into motorcycle territory .

And , I don't see a plate on the bike .

Might cost a lot less to bite the bullet and start playing by the rules .

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Washington law excludes a lot of mopeds then as many were 50cc, not less than 50cc. I ran into this at Ohio BMV when they tried to tell me I had to register ti as a motorcycle until I could prove the language in the Ohio law states "The helper motor cannot exceed 50 CC." therefore my 50cc moped is just that - a moped.

> Barry (Bob) Brown Wrote:

> Washington law excludes a lot of mopeds then as many were 50cc, not less

> than 50cc. I ran into this at Ohio BMV when they tried to tell me I had

> to register ti as a motorcycle until I could prove the language in the

> Ohio law states "The helper motor cannot exceed 50 CC." therefore my

> 50cc moped is just that - a moped.

Can't say I've ever seen a stock cylinder that's embossed "50cc" .

Seen a ton that say '49cm3' .

Glanced at OP's profile. Your moped is not... well... a moped. 70cc kit makes it a motor cycle. You may want to get t registered + insured before court, or convert back into a Moped and make sure its plated /registered/ etc

> P D Wrote:

> > Barry (Bob) Brown Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Washington law excludes a lot of mopeds then as many were 50cc, not

> less

>

> > than 50cc. I ran into this at Ohio BMV when they tried to tell me I

> had

>

> > to register ti as a motorcycle until I could prove the language in the

>

> > Ohio law states "The helper motor cannot exceed 50 CC." therefore my

>

> > 50cc moped is just that - a moped.

>

> Can't say I've ever seen a stock cylinder that's embossed "50cc" .

>

> Seen a ton that say '49cm3' .

There's even a few companies that will sell you a 70cc cylinder that's embossed 49cm3.... I've got a Stage6 in my collection like that.

I wish I had ever seen anywhere in the statutes that I have read, that would specify how a vehicle that was built and designed to be a certain class could ever just "fall into" a different class. The process in which to retitle a vehicle as an entirely different thing in some states is not even an option and most is quite difficult and would eventually end up with a hand built title.

I would see it being a violation that to me would read something like falsifying registration, or driving a vehicle improperly registered etc.. whatever the wording may read. You registered a moped that does not fall into the specifics of any moped and therefore are basically riding an unlawful vehicle with a plate that is registered to something that it does not conform to. A MC endorsement shouldn't protect you at all. I have had a cop give me the exact same explanation though, and because it got me out of a serious speeding ticket I let it go.

Contest that ticket for sure. For all they know its still a 49cc moped, they litterally dont know shit. A god damn rukus goes almost 40 and no one ever gets rolled for no endorsement. What I want too know is how did he catch you speeding? Radar? I highly doubt it, that shit will get thrown out. It probably just sounded fast cuz that proma circuit was making a racket. Other than the having no plate, bicycle lights and a horrendous cafe racer abortion, you did nothing wrong.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Contest that ticket for sure. For all they know its still a 49cc moped,

> they litterally dont know shit. A god damn rukus goes almost 40 and no

> one ever gets rolled for no endorsement. What I want too know is how did

> he catch you speeding? Radar? I highly doubt it, that shit will get

> thrown out. It probably just sounded fast cuz that proma circuit was

> making a racket. Other than the having no plate, bicycle lights and a

> horrendous cafe racer abortion, you did nothing wrong.

"Nothing wrong" ??? He's riding an illegal machine .

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Contest that ticket for sure. For all they know its still a 49cc moped,

> they litterally dont know shit. A god damn rukus goes almost 40 and no

> one ever gets rolled for no endorsement. What I want too know is how did

> he catch you speeding? Radar? I highly doubt it, that shit will get

> thrown out. It probably just sounded fast cuz that proma circuit was

> making a racket. Other than the having no plate, bicycle lights and a

A ruckus falls into a motor driven cycle definition which has no speed restriction.

Change your name and move outta state fuck the pigs

ACAB

MN caught up with the ruckus/vino/metropolitan speed thing, after a certain model year even though they are 50cc, they have to be registered as a motorcycle. I would think even if your moped goes faster than 30 you should watch out for speeding just like you do in a car.

In w.a. state there is a designation for motor driven cycle, but I know more than a few people who register their scoots as mopeds.

Y'all are dumb. Technically sure he is breaking the law, but most laws are a joke and are rarely enforced properly. He can get out of this with ease by just showing up.

Andrew Squiggman /

> P D Wrote:

> > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Contest that ticket for sure. For all they know its still a 49cc

> moped,

>

> > they litterally dont know shit. A god damn rukus goes almost 40 and no

>

> > one ever gets rolled for no endorsement. What I want too know is how

> did

>

> > he catch you speeding? Radar? I highly doubt it, that shit will get

>

> > thrown out. It probably just sounded fast cuz that proma circuit was

>

> > making a racket. Other than the having no plate, bicycle lights and a

>

> > horrendous cafe racer abortion, you did nothing wrong.

>

> "Nothing wrong" ??? He's riding an illegal machine .

You sound more like a cop every day

Is there any state in which there is a path to register your “moped” as a motorcycle? Since Georgia doesn’t even issue titles on “mopeds” there is no way to be legal if you wish to modify your bike to go over the magical 35 mph line.

I titled my hobbit as a MC here in Washington. Just told them it's a motorcycle not a moped when I brought them the title to put it in my name.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> I titled my hobbit as a MC here in Washington. Just told them it's a

> motorcycle not a moped when I brought them the title to put it in my

> name.

I imagine you could do that here if it’s 1985 or older as then they’ll register with just a bill of sale, but anything newer won’t have a title unless it was bought out of state, and who how many older bikes still have a manufacturer’s certificate to go with them?

I know that it takes some explaining and an examiner who knows the laws to even take the test for the motorcycle endorsement on something that isn’t a foot shifting motorcycle. I did mine on a big bike but know a guy that got hassled over showing up with his 150cc scooter, legally a motorcycle, to take the test.

I registered a tomos streetmate as a motorcycle in Virginia.

> Andrew Squiggman Wrote:

> You sound more like a cop every day

LOL . For stating the obvious ?

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> Is there any state in which there is a path to register your “moped” as

> a motorcycle? Since Georgia doesn’t even issue titles on “mopeds” there

> is no way to be legal if you wish to modify your bike to go over the

> magical 35 mph line.

Maybe register it in Vermont and then transfer to Georgia ?

Overpriced Parts /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

>Other than the having no plate, bicycle lights and a

Ha ha ^ hilarious, you just coined a new acronym, HCRA,

Cop to dispatch “In pursuit of a HCRA going over 30mph”

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I think there's a typo there 2 brake horsepower at the wheel I think wouldn't even get you 15 miles an hour it's supposed to be 5 brake horsepower at the wheel and that's at the wheel so technically they also state it's engine displacement not cylinder size so even if you put a 70cc cylinder on it unless you kidded it you're only going 30 if you didn't up the carb or the pipe performance hell I just slapped the OEM cylinder back on it and show up in court and say show me

PA describes a moped as "no bigger than 50cc, no more than 1.5 braking HP and no faster than 25mph" which rules out even most of my stock bikes, but I almost always title them as "moped" even if they are tuned or kitted, I just don't get too blasty in the neighborhoods where I know LEO's hang out and save WOT for my commute. I did have a really nice Grande once that was built up and they wanted to be able to ride doubles with (also a no-no by the moped rules) so it was titled as an MC instead of MP just to be technically legit.

the hard truth is, if you're on 2 wheels you're more likely to get pulled over, because you stand out and are interesting and cops are bored. and if you get pulled over it matters very little how legal you are. if the cops got some shit cooked up in his head, you'll get a ticket. if you're nice and suck good dick and smile a lot, especially if you're older, white and clean dressed, maybe you're OK.

Or ride stock bikes and be perfectly legal. (lol)

And yes technically a 70cc moped going 40mph is not "legal" but seriously do we have nothing better to enforce than making sure poor hobbyists restoring funny little old bikes can't keep up with traffic? This isn't police protecting and serving, it's a bored cop being a dick, and if it wasn't the motorcycle endorsement he'd likely have just found some other shit to issue a ticket for with some self assured grin pretending he's somehow doing you a favor by keeping you and the street safe from god knows what bullshit they have to tell themselves to think that their cheat is worthwhile.

Yup^

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account