Making Rubber Bushings?

Josiah Radebaugh /

I've got a set of shocks that I don't really want to replace, but the bushings are pretty well trash. Also, I'd like to try making some engine mount bushings to use on bikes that have trash ones just for testing. I've found a few old threads but none were too specific.. I thought about silicone and corn starch, but it's a bit soft. Have any of you made your own rubber Bushings?

Re: Making Rubber Bushings?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Vulcanizing rubber is probably outside of the realm of most home shops and has equipment and safety requirements that are pretty prohibitive to hobbyists.

I think modifying existing bushings is less problematic than creating new.

Yeah, just find rubber bushings that are too large, and sand them down to fit.

But vulcanizing rubber is super simple. Anyone can do it, with minimal equipment. I've done tons of it. Only requires a form, heat of around 325-350 degrees and 75-100 psi pressure, depending on the rubber compound being used: butyl, EPDM, etc.

But the best thing for shock bushings would be Urethane. Easily molded and more durable than rubber. Mix and pour. (edited)

You might visit your local plumbing department and have a look at the various bushings and washers available . I've found some that almost exactly fit what I'm re-working .

I’ve made bushing and stops before out of Seat sealer poured into small card molds

I bet skateboard/roller skate bushings would work well for moped weight applications.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Flex seal? Its handyman in a can!

the triangle shock bushings r pretty easy to come by used. heres my bushing catch all

15615714029751493439618.jpg

just made some for my maxi that worked out great.

i bought 75 durometer polyurethane rod from mcmaster carr

i ground it down to the right OD using a bench grinder, also ground a little 'spool' shape into it

I drilled a hole through the middle to match my old shock bushing

then i beefed it up some more with two fender washers on each side to keep it from poopin' out.

i ride a lot of dubs on my maxi and this is always one of the 'weak link' points that takes a lot of abuse. rode 100 + miles with my wife on the back and it felt noticeably better, less squirming around. we'll see how it holds up after a few years but i'm digging it so far.

sorry didn't take any pictures, did it pretty fast.

WWW.MIDATLANTICRUBBER.COM might be of help...

i've used 3m window weld to repair/beef up car engine motor mounts. once cured it's around 55-60 duro.

Brad William /

ACDelco 46G0114A Advantage Front Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Kit with Hardware

Less than 3 dollars free ship from amazon.

I've done a few small engine motor mounts out of these parts. Really low cost for good quality easy to find bushings and cup washers.

Just go to oriellys and ask for a stabilizer bar link kit for something like a chevy astro van or other cheap old vehicle and the kits are usually less than ten bucks.

Put sway bar bushing in orielly's online search, then filter by low to high cost. There's a variety of sizes and shapes for less than five bucks. (edited)

71Rv2U6dFzL__SL1500_.jpg

Brad William /

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C59ZMC/

Another one for about 10 bucks free ship that you could modify for many uses. Urethane.

41353EQCVML.jpg

You can cast your own bushings with urethane resins, comes in a lot of different hardness's

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ahhh, thats what I was wondering about something like that^ Something relativly soft would work nicely

Heat up a shock eye, then push a piece of HDPE cutting board into it.

Custom molded bushingsz dude

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account