Little brazer

Anybody use this torch kit? Thinking about it to braze the taillight racetrack together

bernzomatic-torches-tanks-361487-64_1000.jpg

Re: Little brazer

Yup, I use mine all time, works great once you get the hang of it. Buy an extra O2 bottle right away, the first time I used it I burned through one quick because I didn't set up the flame correctly, if you follow the instructions it's pretty straight forward.

I keep map gas on hand , but , no , I've never used that combo .

IMG_20190624_1640464_rewind.jpg

I was going to mig weld it , but I might mess up the bolt pattern on the taillight bracket. Also I could fill in the extra holes.

if youre just doing the one repair might be better off having someone else do it.

i have been seeing oxy rigs for sale really cheap on CL lately, like, under 100 bucks.

Got the big set from work. It's hassle for small jobs :(

> Derek Stahl Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yup, I use mine all time, works great once you get the hang of it. Buy

> an extra O2 bottle right away, the first time I used it I burned through

> one quick because I didn't set up the flame correctly, if you follow the

> instructions it's pretty straight forward.

More like 2 extra O2 bottles. The one that comes with the kit never seems to last long at all.

its best to get the nicer torch n just use mapp gas, gets plenty hot, about 50 at hd. those stupid things burns thru too much dough... wanna buy mines its older works fine 17 shipped. whats nice is u can focus the heat with a small flame.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Those kits are great. look around and find one for cheap. i found mine for 50 bucks new. Yeah, the oxygen is expensive but if you do it right, it lasts a while.

I always set the O2 valve to just before opening and feel for the gas on my face. it takes like 3000 turns to get it to turn on. You really dont need much o2 to get enough heat. still only get like 15 minutes to a tank of o2. it's good enough for small work

I like the mapp/o2 kit because you get a much more focused heat so you dont trash the paint on everything. Only most of it.

> pat splat Wrote:

> its best to get the nicer torch n just use mapp gas, gets plenty hot,

> about 50 at hd. those stupid things burns thru too much dough... wanna

> buy mines its older works fine 17 shipped. whats nice is u can focus

> the heat with a small flame.

I agree, but having both is nice; my go to is the mapp gas with the swirl tip, it gets plenty hot for most things moped.

Got it at home depot. Ill post pics ,good or bad ,when I'm done! Ha ha.

id tack weld it with just to hold in place b4 brazing.

Good thinking Pat! ;)

IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG

Got it done. Tacked the underside as suggested. Used two BBs to fill in the drilled holes.

Brazing is ok, but you never get a steel weld to stick to that metal ever again in that spot.

Looks good for now. Brazing is not so durable against vibration though.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Looks great!

Not really the same setup but i have a TS4000 portable torch that i love for heating things up. Cost like $43 from Home Depot. I recommend everyone has one.

Brazing is wonderful for vibration

> Dickie Thompson Wrote:

> Brazing is wonderful for vibration

No its not. It cracks much easier than conventional welding. Its only a step up from soldering.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > Dickie Thompson Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Brazing is wonderful for vibration

>

> No its not. It cracks much easier than conventional welding. Its only a

> step up from soldering.

Maybe , but , I've seen braze that's been in service on machines that totally vibrate .

Some of those machines had been around since a few days before dirt . ;)

And was that on a butt connection, or did they overlap? Was said machines vibrating at a high frequency like a 2 stroke?

Hmm im pretty sure that brazing is good for vibration because its ductile. Quick google search seems to back that up. Im sure there are studies on it somewhere if someone wants to win the argument

> Dickie Thompson Wrote:

> Hmm im pretty sure that brazing is good for vibration because its

> ductile. Quick google search seems to back that up. Im sure there are

> studies on it somewhere if someone wants to win the argument

Yep ive been there done that more than once.

When soldering or brazing a butt connection the softer filler material snaps because its only bridging a gap. So unless its an overlap joint its on borrowed time.

The steel already cracked and broke, so you think something softer will hold up better? The weakest link now is not the original steel.

My past experience (not studies) says the above repair will be cracked and broken within one year if its ridden daily. (edited)

The correct way to have done this brazing would of been to have overlapped a strip of steel (patch) on back side beyond the crack and then brazed it all together. (edited)

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> And was that on a butt connection, or did they overlap? Was said

> machines vibrating at a high frequency like a 2 stroke?

Probably not butt connections and , yes , some where overlapped .

I don't think those old machines could create high frequency vibs like a 2 stroke , but , vibrate they definitely did .

I really buttered up the underside, and on the top I made a couple passes. I used a dremel grinding head it took forever to grind it to look presentable. Hope all ya naysayers are wrong thou! 8) . If not I post pics!

> Les B. Wrote:

> I really buttered up the underside, and on the top I made a couple

> passes. I used a dremel grinding head it took forever to grind it to

> look presentable. Hope all ya naysayers are wrong thou! 8) . If not I

> post pics!

Its been my experience brazing broken stuff on a moped just does not hold.

If you added extra filler rod it may hold.

Steel is stronger and it didnt hold up.

Just looking at it shows its a break from vibration over time.

In the end its all about keeping the peds going. I hope it holds up and I'm wrong too.

Good job, and how much oxy did ya burn up???

I still got some of the original bottle left Evil. It reminds me of burning and cutting with propane. Real touchy, took 3 tries to get the feel of it, I might trace a piece of rubber to act as a damper, just in case!

Yep, theres a project/arrangement for every type of bonding - brazing works best in some of those situations, like a sleeved joint.

The problem with brittle metal is that when its melted with a tig or mig, it is weakened. Im interested to see how this holds up.

Also, fillet brazing is a thing in bicycles. They build up the brass (sometimes silver solder, though not as common on fillet). And they are plenty strong.

I understand this isn’t cast iron but in welding school we had a project where we brazed a patch in a corvette engine. As far as I know it’s still holding but if brazing on a engine would work I don’t see why it wouldn’t work here.

> Garrett P Wrote:

> I understand this isn’t cast iron but in welding school we had a project

> where we brazed a patch in a corvette engine. As far as I know it’s

> still holding but if brazing on a engine would work I don’t see why it

> wouldn’t work here.

Different metals . Different vibrations / stresses .

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account