First moped: 78’ Garelli Rally Sport?

Is this a good starter moped? Being sold for 700, no rust, running. Looks good but I’m no mechanic.

Re: First moped: 78’ Garelli Rally Sport?

Matt Jones /
057317EE-6EEE-43F6-A396-2E77BA4C884C.jpeg

The bike:

the price is relative, northeast prices are fucked but i guarantee somebody is gonna chime in and tell you that its a 150 dollar bike...if it were in Kansas.

if you can work on mountain bikes youre 1/3 of the way there. the most annoying part of mopeds (to me at least) are making cables.

the engine stuff is fairly easy imo, you kinda have to force yourself to learn then it'll just sorta "click". Youll get a feel for what the bikes telling you and how to correct it.

only thing id add is if this is something you just wanna hop on and ride then DO NOT add a kit or any crazy shit just yet. the rubber garelli clutches can be a complete pain in the ass.

if youre nervous, buy a puch. theyre super easy to keep running and a great engine to learn on.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Way too much for a step thru Garelli. In NJ, it’s a 350 bike.

Matt Jones /

I read that the clutches can suck. I was thinking to offer him 500. As a note concerning the pricing, I’m in NYC. The bike is in queens. I’m a carpenter and welder by trade so I’m ::somewhat:: mechanically savvy and I own tools so yes, I am hoping to become more acquainted with these machines but also yes, I do just want to get on and ride.

price notwithstanding, the answer to your basic question is yes: a Garelli with a 1sp NOI is a good starter moped. Italian, commonly available switches cables levers etc, chain driven, simple, reliable (though not particularly impressive) 1 speed wet rubber clutch, basic carb and piston port intake and simple points/breaker/coils ignition system.... that covers all the basics of elementary moped mechanics and in my opinion is a good "starter moped" and based on your location and its condition, the price really isnt that crazy, is it? (edited)

"I'm a

carpenter and welder by trade so I’m ::somewhat:: mechanically savvy"

then youll be 100% perfectly fine. dont sweat it.

the rust is there, its just been cleaned off. when u get on and test ride, warm it up really good and see if it stalls at a stop, most do.

Matt Jones /

Absolutely true about the stalling. Got him down to 450. Will report back once I’ve spent a little time with it. (edited)

Matt Jones /

This just in: quarter turn of a screw squashed the idling problem. This was a f^*+ing score.

450 is fair, did you get paperwork to register it?

Matt Jones /

At the rally today in Brooklyn

E014A850-34FA-4B90-9A59-3FB0D03CD796.jpeg

Nice!

> Matthew Jones Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> This just in: quarter turn of a screw squashed the idling problem. This

> was a f^*+ing score.

Nice job!!

Matt Jones /

More rally stuff, couple of quick vids

Matt Jones /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 450 is fair, did you get paperwork to register it?

Yep.

^ then totally worth it, have fun!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account