1983 Honda Express centrifugal clutch

Kasey OKeefe /

Greetings Gang!!

I’m ko I live in Los Angeles. I own a 1983 Honda Express she is the love of my life. She has been running very well until a week ago had a mechanic come look st it for $50 I didn’t have (good dude tho) and he told me the centrifugal clutch that expands into that metal housing blew out. Need a 2 speed variety... contacted treatland they suggest I post here! So I’m throwing up a prayer I checked ebay no luck any one have any sources suggestions welcome all comments thx for your time!!

Re: 1983 Honda Express centrifugal clutch

Jack Rutherford /

Hmm, those clutches seem to last forever. A one speed 1981 clutch should work as well but those are probably harder to find than your 1982-1983 variety. Keep an eye out on ebay, they pop up over time. I found one and it turned out to be incomplete but I located the parts that were missing. 1977-1980 won't work.

Post on buy/sell forum, and keep eyes on CL for possible parts bikes.

That clutch is extremely hearty and short of running it dry I couldn't imagine a legitimate failure.

Jack Rutherford /

yeah, how did that mechanic diagnosis that? I wouldn't want to take that left side cover off with no prior experience unless it was my own bike. You may want a second opinion. And even if it is the problem, it's unlikely you need to replace the entire clutch mechanism. (edited)

Kasey OKeefe /

From what he told me the little prongs that stick out are worn out and cannot catch the metal basket to turn it he said you need the entire assembly I don’t know much so bare with me I gave him $50 and spent last week trying to find that entire assembly that’s housed in that metal bowl this has been hell I looked on Craigslist nation wide search I’m just trying to get it running

Thanks for all the help & comments

BD799093-97F0-49BB-88DA-4E279A5585D2.jpeg

Those are for engaging the 2nd gear. If the bike doesn't move at all this is not the problem. The first gear clutch is the 3 shoes inside of that assembly.

Honestly the people here can probably diagnose your issue better over the internet than a mechanic who doesn't know anything about mopeds can. What is the problem exactly?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account