Cross country shipping

Susannah Pryal /
66D379B6-E432-41DC-B104-DC857D4D86E9.jpeg

Any advice on where to go for reasonably priced cross-country shipping of my old ‘83 Yamahopper that is in my mom’s garage?

Going from Boston to Seattle.

I am getting quotes for $1500–ouch! We used to just strap it to a bike rack on the back of the family sedan.

The gas tank has a hole, so that could be removed for shipping.

Thanks for your ideas!

Pic is what it looks like—but not the actual bike which is likely much more dusty and rusty. (edited)

Re: Cross country shipping

Uship or ask around your local garages or dealerships to see if they use any regular brokers.

May be cheaper to ship it in pieces tbh.

And did you just buy it here? And if so, was it from a wacky guy in Southie who's got a garage full of these and QT50's?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

FYI i used greyhound once and they suck. I would rather ship in peices either USPS or UPS than use greyhound again.

Moped army needs to band together and plan for someone to drive mopeds across country a few times a year. Like every 3-4 months if enough people sign up.

How are you moving the rest of your stuff? If you drain the fuel I would think the movers would take it? If doing the U-haul thing just put it in there. $1,500 to ship that is insane.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How are you moving the rest of your stuff? If you drain the fuel I would

> think the movers would take it? If doing the U-haul thing just put it in

> there. $1,500 to ship that is insane.

Thats a good idea.

Drain it, take off the shiny and tiny bits that may get broken, cover it until its unrecognizable in bubble wrap and tell the movers its an antique bicycle or some shit.

And if they still balk at it just slide the driver 50 bucks to add it to the back of the truck.

Susannah Pryal /

It is my old moped at my mom’s house I bought new for about $300 as a teenager with babysitting money. It has been there since the 80s! I have lived here for 18 years—so no current move. The lowest U-Ship quote so far is just over $1400.

I was looking a bicycle shipping and I can ship a 75lb bike in a hard case for under $100. This is 95 pounds.

The problem is, I don’t want to fly out and take it apart. My mother can’t really help.

The gas tank has a hole and needs to be replaced, and the bike is not working (my husband loves restoring cars and boats so he is excited for this little project). So, I wanted to possibly ship it without gas tank.

I looked online and I can buy a new scooter for $600 plus $180 shipping. I wonder what they use??

Jimmy got the right idea....

> Susannah Pryal Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It is my old moped at my mom’s house I bought new for about $300 as a

> teenager with babysitting money. It has been there since the 80s! I have

> lived here for 18 years—so no current move. The lowest U-Ship quote so

> far is just over $1400.

>

> I was looking a bicycle shipping and I can ship a 75lb bike in a hard

> case for under $100. This is 95 pounds.

>

> The problem is, I don’t want to fly out and take it apart. My mother

> can’t really help.

>

> The gas tank has a hole and needs to be replaced, and the bike is not

> working (my husband loves restoring cars and boats so he is excited for

> this little project). So, I wanted to possibly ship it without gas tank.

>

> I looked online and I can buy a new scooter for $600 plus $180 shipping.

> I wonder what they use??

Have you called any national home moving companies directly?

If someones moving their family cross country chances are there'll be AT LEAST a foot or two left at the very end of the load to put this thing on there.

You may have to wait for the right truck to be heading your way but if you're not in a rush it's probably a lot cheaper.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account