New to Mopeds

William Reynolds /

Looking at getting into the world of mopeds. Was wonder if anyone had advice on any brands years makes or models that they would recommend?

Re: New to Mopeds

Welcome. Honda, Tomos, Puch; most 'round these parts shoot for 70s and 80s models (though new Tomos's are cool too).

Honda! But whatever you get, buy a runner, and preferably something that is still stock, mopeds despise amateur attempts to modify them. Welcome, and best of luck.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Dong get overcharged.

Don't get sone that you'll have a hard time getting parts for. Or that'll be hard to work on.

Get a brand that'll be reliable (Parts availability and reliability are sorta hand and hand)

William Reynolds /

Thanks for the input everyone. Is there a price range that the 70 to 80s Puch, tomos, Honda normally run?

From what I’ve seen, 400-500 should get you a decent Puch or Tomos. Hondas go for a bit more, as they’re better designed and more reliable

Barry (Bob) Brown /

when I looked for them, and i'm new to them as well, first place I went was to the parts suppliers like Treatland, Moped Division and DOS Cycles - even eBay to see how many parts I could find for a model. On those I found Puch, Honda and a few others that had almost any part you might need.

^^ That's an awesomely intellegent first step.

William Reynolds /

I'll be sure to check out those parts sites! Any thoughts on the top tank generals from 1980?

Bikes with removable tanks are probably preferred over tanks built into the frame. Easier to clean, repair, or replace.

Puch/tomos/honda to begin, make sure it's a runner and relatively stock, other than a magnum should be able to buy $400/500 unless you're impatient. Read Fred's Guide - https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide and watch a bunch of Dave Fixes his Shit on youtube. Make sure you understand your bike well and have it running reliably before you begin adding any performance parts of modifications.

I'm glad Fred's guide got linked, theres a whole wiki section for new riders

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Category:For_Newbies

Including an article "first moped" answering exactly what you're asking, and pretty well aligned with the above posts.

You'll learn pretty quick the wiki is a great source of info, at least because its communally edited and more likely to represent a well vetted opinion than just the random feels of forum users

this is one of the absolute best things i've ever read as far as buying mopeds goes: https://detroitmopedworks.com/what-is-my-moped-worth/

remember a 200 dollar 'deal' can turn into a 500 dollar bike once you buy all the missing parts, or run way over $1K if you are paying someone else to work on it.

the best bikes to find are ones that are mostly original and intact, and if you are buying it already running and ready to go from an enthusiast who has replaced wear items like tires, tubes, petcock.

beware of flippers who buy cheap junk, barely get it running using shady skillz and try to sell it for a high markup. That article on DMW explains all the stuff that should be replaced before you drag a 40 year old moped out of storage and put it back on the road... if that stuff hasn't been done, the moped isn't 'restored'

depending on where you're located you can probably find someone in the greater moped community who can either sell you a bike or give you some good advice on getting into one. Its a small enough world that we all usually know all the people doing mopeds in the areas where we live and we know if they are reputable or not.

I suggest getting a Free Spirit if possible. They’re stupid simple to fix, parts are cheap and almost everywhere, and they’re built like a Russian tank.

> - schmiddy Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I suggest getting a Free Spirit if possible. They’re stupid simple to

> fix, parts are cheap and almost everywhere, and they’re built like a

> Russian tank.

I second this. I have two. I like that they are a little larger than most step throughs.

Like a Russian tank.

Probably Fred /

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > - schmiddy Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I suggest getting a Free Spirit if possible. They’re stupid simple to

>

> > fix, parts are cheap and almost everywhere, and they’re built like a

>

> > Russian tank.

>

> I second this. I have two. I like that they are a little larger than

> most step throughs.

>

> Like a Russian tank.

Murray is same thing possibly better as well as any kromag and type b tube frame bikes

From what I've read, Murray frames are not made in Austria by Kromag, but are instead made by the Murray bicycle company, and are made from cheesy steel. I've passed on a couple Murrays.

William Reynolds /

Thanks everyone for your advice. With mopeds being not local for me I may just be ordering from two stroke mopeds.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account