Am I right?

Ok, so I've been keeping my eye on a beauty of a moped. Good news it's one I've been looking for, bad news is he's asking ,a lot, I mean a lot. I've been doing my studying, reading posts here, sites where mopeds are restored , and sold . Don't buy with your heart, etc. So I texted the number with the flat out question, has this moped been restored? Bear with me, I consider restored for a 38 yr. Old moped , New rubber ,in and out , cleaned tank , New filters ,cables, brakes, clutches, seals, good electrical , speedo, lights, etc, in order. He tested back " nothing is restored ,all original, runs great! " . I can't shell out 4 figures for a moped from all that I learned from here and other reputable sites. Hopefully his price will come down to earth. I hope I made a wise decision. Comments or criticism welcome. 8/

Re: Am I right?

What is it

Really depends on the bike, you have to take each on a case by case basis. There are some that have been stored well that don't need much of anything. Go look at/ride it.

1981puch newport

$500 tops! Wow, four figures for an untouched stocker. Not even a Newport II? If it was 100% restored, maybe $700.

Newport, Newport II or Newport L? (edited)

Newport ll ,Lar.

That's what I was thinking Seth.

holy.mackerel.

as an example, Pike's, the place here in Boston will sell you a beautiful restored, powdercoated Puch for 1200 all day long. REALLY nice work.

Keep in mind thats east coast, rich college kid, big city prices so whoever youre talking to in OH is drinking bleach.

I would never pay four figures for a maxi.

Angry Hipster /

You guys are forgetting that Puch is the Mercedes of mopeds!

Dirty30 Dillon /

It's a maxi, so take that how you will.

A very clean, running maxi that is unrestored is about 600-800 here in NYC easy. You could maybe stretch that to 1k if you found the right buyer.

Don't spend over $500 on a maxi of any variety.

Beach Club Nick /

No way in hell is it worth that in Ohio. Good decision. Wait a month for him to realize he's crazy, show up with cash and be persuasive and you can get that bike for a reasonable price

I will be keeping an on it. You read, you learn.

Probably Fred /

If it’s a 2 speed za50 engine bike and you have bad seals, bad crank bearings or other issues you don’t have the factory tools and knowledge to fix it so I would avoid a Newport II or other 2 speed bikes unless mint low mile and checked over good for leaky seals and such,

You also have to avoid the supposed “rebuilt za50 engine” because 99 out of 100 times it’s not done right because people do not have the dozen or so puch factory tool kits that are floating around the USA to get them out of trouble when they try to rebuild their engine with bent screwdrivers, claw hammers, broken bottle, pieces of string and bubblegum

I’d be lost without my tools and I was for a few years when my friend had most of them them got divorced then moved and I had to track him down to get them back,

The clutch and gear holding tools that are circled that are still available will allow you to work on transmission but you need measuring tools and other tools to change bearings, set crank, change bushings etc

CB49AB27-0C21-43D6-B48C-EC91FB5334E9.jpeg

This is a great thread because there's a (Great condition) Maxi Lux E50 here in small town Idaho the guy is asking 1400. I want to call him up and ask "Are you stupid?" but it's a tiny rich town so maybe he will get what he wants.

Well some people got more money than sense Pony.

A LOT of people do, you have to see it from their point of view, if you have 50k in your checking account and you want a moped, $1,400 is not like if you have $400.00 in your account and have to save for it. People like this are the "customers" you want to have! :)

Re: Am I right? Km

Well, there's a sucker born very minute....

For that kind of money find yourself a moped on the buy/sell page and have it shipped to your house via uShip - and it will still be cheaper than buying it locally from the one you have your eye on.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Hek, you want a bike I got a few fer sale...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account