1980 Tomos A3 Bullet won’t go into neutral and shakes

Hello, I’m brand new to mopeds and picked up a 1980 tomos bullet the other week. The guy before me didn’t ride it too much and it’s overall in good shape. The only issues I’ve been having with it is after riding it, it seems like it’s not going back into neutral so then after about 5 seconds it will die. I’m assuming it’s still in first gear and it will take a while to start back up again since it is still in 1st. I am eventually able to get it back into neutral but it only does about 40-50% of the time.

The other issue is when taking off into 1st gear it will shake (I think coming from the case) and it also does it mostly when I’m coming to a stop as well. So basically 0-5mph and 5-0mph. Other than these, it rides very smooth and shifts into 2nd smoothly as well. The power all seems to be there too. I changed the oil with 10w-30 oil and it wasn’t too noticeably different. new gaskets just came so I will take the cover off and inspect the gears/clutch shoes but I’m hoping it’s just the clutch shoes are worn or something like that. I don’t have much experience with these yet so I’m just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. I found many forums with either shaking or it dying but most of the shaking ones I’ve read don’t seem to be super similar to mine.

Thanks!

Re: 1980 Tomos A3 Bullet won’t go into neutral and shakes

There is no “neutral” position on a moped with an automatic transmission. Sounds like your idle is too high and is engaging your 1st speed clutch. (edited)

Drain and replace transmission fluid. Hopfully you don't have any metal bits or cork chunks. Really small (much smaller than sand) things are normal-ish.

Paul Smith /

Oh really? Does it just engage 1st gear at a certain rpm then? When I start it, the wheel will spin slowly but if I grab it, it will stop for the most part which tells me it’s idling fine and not really engaged with the gear(?) Then after riding it and bringing it back, the wheel is spinning faster and I can’t stop it by just grabbing it/it’ll speed back up so I assume it’s engaged with 1st gear. I don’t notice it idling any higher after I bring it back but I will check that out too

Paul Smith /

I did replace it with 10w-30 and noticed very small things like you said were normal but nothing looked too bad besides it being old. I rode it afterward and didn’t really notice a difference and it was still engaging with 1st after my ride when I put it on the center stand

take it apart b4 something bad happens. somethings up with the clutch, post picts.

Paul Smith /

I’m checking it out now but will take it apart tomorrow. But I am running it and it seems that idling is maybe high. However when I squeeze the rear break, the whole thing shakes until the wheel stops spinning

I have a question guys I posted a form but no one answer so imma just say it on here my 2005 tomos moped will start and rev but the back wheel will not move and I have no clue what it could

Paul Smith /

Here is a vid of it shaking when the rear brake is applied:

I will post pics tomorrow now that I have the cover off and took off the clutch. Nothing looks messed up though. I thought it was the one way bearing but the clutch drum spins freely one way and will spin the crank the other way so that makes me think it’s fine. Although when I first took the cover off, spinning the drum both ways made the crank move but I feel like it was just because the shafts were not secured in the case completely so there was some wiggle room that let the gears catch each other

looks n sounds normal except for the hand locking brakes while rear wheel spinning. your damaging the clutch hub/crank, etc.

Paul Smith /

Yeah I assume it just isn’t idling and everything is still trying to spin so the sprocket on the wheel is trying to stop everything in the trans. Is it possibly that when I opened the clutch plate and spun the clutch drum that I somehow “unstuck” that one way bearing? Or if that seizes up is it seized up for good? other than that bearing I have no idea what would make this happen. I’ll post pics once I get off work

Paul Smith /

So here is the insides. I took of the clutch and it looks good. Working on taking out the second one. One question I have is should the pedal shaft have a little play back and forth? Mine does but I can’t tell if it’s just because I have the cover off and making it be able to slide back and forth. when it’s slide more towards me it will catch on the clutch but when it isn’t it will allow the drum to spin freely

BA4661C3-F24A-4405-BF1A-8044F37A249B.jpeg

Paul Smith /

Here are some more

33078560-5754-4F55-B903-9D0EC745EA04.jpeg
DE8153E1-0315-4020-BCCC-EB6103399322.jpeg
497A9B35-2707-41C0-8C00-EB149FF068F8.jpeg

looks clean inside. from left to right, pedal shaft, counter shaft and then clutch bell and clutches. pedal shaft should have a pedal spacer n spring, look at the diagram. take off counter shaft and take a look at the rollers, they'll fall out. id tap that crank seal a bit further in, or if u have a new one switch it out. the spacing from that brass bushing and clutch bell should be pretty tight. spins but not rocky/tilty.

Paul Smith /

Thanks! I believe I have everything for the pedal shaft (?) I have 2 washers and 2 tiny shims that go against the clutch cover hole, then a washer, spring, and the spring cup so I think that should be everything. I assume I can’t see the needle bearings and bearing bushing. a other question: can I just slide the countershaft with the gears out?? I cannot get the nut off of the shaft but it seems like the hole thing can slide out. I would just have to try and get the chain off

Pat, doesn't his idle seem high? Mine sounds way different ....

Paul Smith /

I did try to adjust idle but it just made it worse because when I squeezed the brake it would just die sooner. I think the idle sounds decent though just based off other small engines I’ve heard. Sometimes it can get high but I don’t think it’s the problem..

a moped idles good when it dont turn off when u come to a stop, nuthing to do w how it acts on its center stand. and not so high as it doesn't continuously grab the clutch tugging u forward. the counter shaft does wiggle out. pay attention to the peanut spring location.

Paul Smith /

I adjusted the idle all the way down and I was never able to get it to idle. I just don’t think that’s the problem but once I get it back together I’ll mess with it again. Tomorrow I’ll try sliding out the countershaft though and inspect that. Then replace that seal and put it back together if everything still looks ok. Unless you think it could be something else?? Do you have any hunch of what it could be?

Stock tomos A3 doesn't have an idle mix screw on the carb. Idle is adjusted with slide cutout (its not really documented).

The idle circuit in the carb could be partially blocked. Its a whee hole below the main bore of the carb.

Might have an airleak, typically happens where the carb clamps onto the intake, but could also be the head or cylinder base or other (less typical) harder to test locations.

My bad! I better get reading deeper. Sorry Paul! Just looked,at download Tuck mine shows my Dellarto carb W/screw and spring. Didn't A3 s come with two types of carbs? (edited)

True. However, Neither A3 carb has idle mix adjustment.

Paul Smith /

If I were to just clean the carb would it fix all the problems you just mentioned? Haha if so I should probably try it. Also do I need to drop the engine to take off the carb? I don’t really see any other way to get at it

Finn Thor Heyer /

I think i have the awnser, its probably a question mark spring or whatever its called. Its the little spring behind your gear sprockets. I had this kind of a problem too. if its broken you really do need to replace it. If its just bend you might get away with bending it back to its original shape.

Inked04.gif
vraagteken.jpg
vraagtekenveer-tomos-koppeling-0-1-2-900x675.jpg

Paul Smith /

Omg thank you so much!! Sure enough I took out the countershaft and that thing was broken! The only issue is I can’t find the broken half... I’m gonna order a new one and put it back in. Think the broken piece will destroy the engine if I can’t find it?

Finn Thor Heyer /

I wouldt feel safe knowing that thing is in there somewhere, i would certainly try to find it amd get it out. Thats way cheaper and easier to do than replacing bearings seals and in the worst place maybe even a gear or clutch

Okay, I'm scratching my head. What's the difference between a idle screw ,and an idle screw mix? I'm lost here ...

Ok, forgot to WIKI ,please disregard..

Sprag clip strikes again!

Idle speed screw just stops the carb slid. From going all the way down. (this is what you have)

Idle mix screw actually changes the fuel to air ratio in the idle circuit.

Paul Smith /

Argh looks like I’m gonna have to drop the engine and crack the case.. maybe I’ll try a magnet first but I have a feeling I won’t find anything that way

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account