Historic plates

I picked up a Hobbit last week at a garage sale in Northeast Ohio. The seller got it from a PA storage unit. The bike came with a title that I am supposed to eventually get but don't necessarily need. None of my other bikes came with titles.

When I plated some of my other bikes, I couldn't get historic plates for any of them. The folks at the BMV rarely sold moped plates anyway and had no clue if I could get historic plates for them.

Are any of your bikes sporting historic plates and does having a title make any difference?

Re: Historic plates

Beach Club Nick /

Historic plates for a moped don't exist. You'd have to have the title and register it as a motorcycle in order to get historical plates. It might be worth it to save some money but the law in Ohio regarding historical plates is that you can only drive vehicles with historical plates for special events. If a cop sees you at Giant Eagle with a basket full of groceries and historical plate they can give you a hard time.

Trent ,I scoured the laws for historical plates in Ohio . If I read it correctly, as Nick stated , historical plates are legal as long as your vehicle is in route coming and going to parades, collector shows, etc. But it doesn't state exactly if mopeds are included. So, be careful at Giant Eagle. I wanted to go that route to save some bucks. (edited)

Trent Anderson /

"But officer, when the only person in the 25 square mile township is out riding a 40 year old moped, that IS a special event."

Probably Fred /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Historic plates for a moped don't exist. You'd have to have the title

> and register it as a motorcycle in order to get historical plates. It

> might be worth it to save some money but the law in Ohio regarding

> historical plates is that you can only drive vehicles with historical

> plates for special events. If a cop sees you at Giant Eagle with a

> basket full of groceries and historical plate they can give you a hard

> time.

Yep in ohio you would have to get a title and turn it into a motorcycle, have insurance, motorcycle endorsement/motorcycle license,

You can ride more then special events like you can ride on weekends to and from a workshop, storage and the like, you can say you’re tuning/working on it but no commuting/everyday use,

I had historical plates on an actual motorcycle. Most states and insurance companies put a lot of restrictions on them plates. Your only allowed weekend rides or rides to biker events/ carshows. Your supposed to park in a garage.

It sucks ,I think there's a lot of cool mopeds around that fit the bill. And those cool historical plates would look cool.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have antique plates on my XL175 and hump that through all sorts of city riding.

I don't think you need to park in a garage or only ride them weekends...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account