1982 Urban Express overkicked now won’t spring back

Just scored my first 82 Honda Express for $150 and got it to fire up before I brought it home by kick starting it. Then when I got it home I tried kicking it over and on the 6-7 time I kicked it, it stuck and didn’t spring back up. I now can’t get it to recoil back to the top position. I’ve not yet pulled the cover off and it didn’t lock up, but it’s stuck in the down position.

What am I missing or do I need to look at fixing? any advice is much appreciated...

F7923764-D437-4541-81AF-505BAA15745E.jpeg

Re: 1982 Urban Express overkicked now won’t spring back

Captain Janeway /
IMG_20170525_210010442_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160621_083517141.jpg

When you open you'll probably see something not lined up right.make sure you have all the bushings and washers. The manual will show you how to line up all the index marks if you can't figure from diagram.

While you're in there check belt condition.

Bingo! Thanks for sharing the diagram and pic. I got it to fire and run, now it’s time to replace oil, gas, spark plug, and clean the carb.

I did have a piece fall out when I pulled the cover off... not sure where it goes. See pic. Any ideas what this piece of metal is for?

513409B1-6F5B-48E8-9AFB-8E63F30252DC.jpeg

Captain Janeway /

Was it inside the cover? I can't blow your photo up but it just looks like a hose holder. Look on my photo. It's down at the bottom outside the case. Don't need it.

If it really was inside I can't tell. Doesn't look like it's off variator or clutch.

Jack Rutherford /
urbanpic.jpg

My bet is you're now missing that piece that the gear rests on which means you will have future kickstart lever woes. I've had that piece fail on at least a couple urbans. One of my buddies welded one back up and re-coat for me. It's worth it to scour ebay or the buy/sell forum here and get a back up for your bike.

It has a rubberized-like coating which disappears over time. After that, the gear is just slapping back on to metal. After several thousand slap backs, the part fails.

urbanblowup.jpg

(edited)

Captain Janeway /

It looked like it was still there in his photo but that was the other possible I was thinking.

Jack Rutherford /

i see the main bracket but can't tell if rest is there. but that definitely looks like the part in his hand.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account