83 Honda Urban Express added oil, mow it will not start...

It was running fine. Fired up on the first try. Oil light came on. Oil was low, so I added Valvoline 2 cycle. ( I read on another forum post that normal 2 cycle would work) It leaked out a little in a couple of places. Then stopped after I cleaned it up. Now it won't start. I have spark. Any ideas....?

Re: 83 Honda Urban Express added oil, mow it will not start...

Captain Janeway /

died after you started riding it after you put in oil, or you put in oil when bike turned off and it wouldn't start?

Was the oil reservoir bone dry and maybe the line wasn't bled?

More info needed

Robert Clark /

Pretty sure it wasn't bone dry. But never thought of bleeding it. I will try that. Tks

Robert Clark /

Sorry, I had been riding it prior to adding oil. Then the issue started.

You mentioned that it leaked after filling; if you're still having trouble, can I ask where from?

Robert Clark /

Crank case, and oil injector. But it stopped. Not sure if I over filled it.

Captain Janeway /

Just overfilling the oil shouldn't have killed it unless you've completely drown the engine.

Is it coming out of the crank case or there just something loose? If it was running it doesn't quite make sense it would kill it just from having extra oil slopped around.

Robert Clark /

That's what I thought. But its not leaking at all anymore. Just won't fire.

Have you tested for spark? Bumped kill switch? Don't laugh, it happens....I've done it. Could be an ignition issue wholly unrelated to the oil. Pull the plug, if oil fouled it might be the wrong kind of oil, leaked past the injector, have heard Honda injection can be picky about oil type?

Robert Clark /

I will double check oil, and injector. Have spark...

Ok, so we're good on the oil-leak front... And it was running well beforehand? And the oil light works properly (i.e. it's since tunred off)? I (we) also assume you're running a stock carb? I'm trying to think of a reason why this could have messed with the oil feed, and altered the carb settings inadvertantly. The auto-chokes on these are prone to gremlins that sometimes defy logic.

That's where my heads at, but honestly it could be a dozen things: clogged fuel line or petcock, dirty air filter, spark plug... Just gotta keep checking till you hit it. If you have any more syptoms or observations, let us know.

Robert Clark /

I will. Thank you everyone for the suggestions

Captain Janeway /

definitely if you took off the oil hose into the carb and drained things out, remember to bleed that line. You don't want an air bubble in there that blocks your oil and causes a seizure (when you get it running).

Clean the carb first and see what happens. Those little carbs cause all kinds of problems and they can be really fussy sometimes. Clean out all the little holes in there with fine wire. I know, you probably did nothing but put in oil, but try it anyway. So often that fixes things.

Make sure you have a good fuel flow. If you don't have one already, get one of those cheap paper fuel filters. They'll help you go longer between cleanings.

Probably Fred /

Check compression

Pushrod Fifty /

Take the plug out and and kick it over a bunch of times with the throttle full open to evacuate any excess gas or oil. Hold a white rag over the hole and see if excess gas or oil is present. Clean the plug dry and check the plug for a big blue spark. Replace plug, try starting again and if it doesnt, check the plug to see if it has gas on it. It should only have a little. If its soaked, then it fouled out from too much gas or oil.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account