vapor blasting and painting

Bailey Miclette /

hey braapers,

currently building my evil plan to pull apart my za50 and give it the cleaning it needs (before dropping in a 70cc treats reeds kit with the malossi 4 petal, a mikuni vm20, and treats sidebleed pipe) and got to thinking about vapor blasting the casing and head to make it look real nice before hitting it with an airgun and some DupliColor Engine Enamel 1200 in sexy black.

thoughts on vapor blasting? on duplicolor? even on the upgrades i've got sitting in my basket on treats taunting my wallet?

ty ily all

Re: vapor blasting and painting

I prefer the clean, slightly polished patina of the old. There is a lot to be said about the like brand new vapor blast look, or fresh paint. Do what pleases you.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

I think it would be a waste to vapor blast and then paint over it. Either vapor blast and leave it, or just clean it with a wire brush/prime/paint

Pushrod Fifty /

Masked with aluminum tape and then bead blasted and Rustoleum satin clear coat makes the alum stand out and has held up the best for me. Paint usually discolors from gas, oil and heat. Wet sanding until uniform and then #0000 steel wool will also clear coat well.

> I think it would be a waste to vapor blast and then paint over it.

Agree. If you're looking for a durable color on a clean surface, have you considered powder coating?

Bailey Miclette /

hm good point. i liked the idea of painting myself just because i have an air sprayer setup already. didn't realize that doing both is counterintuitive.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account