Puch AD

this turd landed on my lap today at work. it was brought to me by guy who recycles scrap metal. hes an older gentleman who comes by the bodyshop almost every day and picks up our throw away parts and scrap metal. he's seen my mopeds before and knows iam into them.

story was he went to someone's house to take some old appliances and junk, in that junk was this puch. he came by the shop and unloaded the bike, legit just gave it to me. For the gesture I gave him 100 bucks

I feel like it was meant for me to save this bike. there's not much info out about it. all I know is that it's in rough shape but it's not seized. someone please talk me out of fixing this.

20190503_201622.jpg

Re: Puch AD

If the tank isn't rushed/can be cleaned that would be hard for me not to fix! I'm almost tempted to take a trip to Miami if you choose not to fix it......

Gas tank is plastic, the part of be worried about is the forks, a replacement set is impossible to find and really weird and hard to make something adapt to the a.d. frame. Just a puch #3 or 4 cylinder and an estoril/proma will have this thing ripping.

Ana L. of the Aurora Roras /

Nice score!!

Alex, that's a good get..

Intake manifold mounting plate is different also . It has 3 holes .

My first moped was an AD like this one! they’re great bikes one you get them dialed in. My two speed did high 30s with just a pipe and some derestricting on the air box. treats has an oem set of forks if yours need replacing.

upon further inspection the bike seems complete besides needing a complete over haul. the brake cables are stuck, its missing the speedo cable and spark plug boot. also missing two plastic engine covers which seem unobtainable.

confirmed, the tank is plastic and is full of stale premix. tank and carb seem okay a good cleaning will get the fuel flowing. the forks are alright, nice and tight tolerances definitely better than the maxi forks. the first hurdle to over come is the pedal drive chain is really slack and skips teeth when you pull the clutch lever. the good news is it has compression and spark. second hurdle is learning how to wrench on the ZA. I left the bike at work, Monday iam gonna give it a thorough clean and snap some more pics.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> the part of be worried about is the forks, a

> replacement set is impossible to find and really weird and hard to make

Haha bro.

https://www.treatland.tv/brand-new-original-NOS-puch-austro-daimler-forks-p/puch-astro-daimler-forks.htm

But really, please don't buy these. I probably need them.

But also, it's so sick. Definitely get it working. It sucks that's they're so heavy.(edited)

Very cool....fix it for sure!

those side covers are out there

seen *em

no one buys them since no one has ADs

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

I got one in a trade and there was no kickstand. Anyone have the same problem? Other than that it's almost complete and not bad shape. I'm inclined to try putting a long version E50 stand on the motor to see if it will work. Hopefully it won't hit anything when retracted.

this poor puch is pretty rough. it looks like it lived outside for awhile in the humid tropical heat. the worst of it corrosion-wise is the seat pan and the under seat cubby, but the whole bike shows rust everywhere. if this bike weren't made of so much aluminum iam sure it would have disintegrated years ago.

20190506_184029.jpg
20190506_183100.jpg
20190506_183131.jpg

iam in the same boat Charles, I was thinking th same thing using a magnum or maxi center stand, seems like it would work.

the good thing about this bike is that it only has 2106 miles. the engine seems like it's in decent shape, it has a square bing carb tucked inside the frame like a debri. the cylinder is cast iron and has the 6 wire points ignition. someone went ham on the flywheel nut with a drill. the nut is rounded as hell, that's going to be a fun mission getting it off. other than that I think the internals are in good shape. let's hope they are.

20190506_183840.jpg
20190506_184344.jpg

That's not rust man. Come to Ohio, see what real rust is ;)

Great looking ped. Never seen one before. Hope you get it going.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

That's not just any square bing. Looks to me like a SUPER SQUARE BING!

I got a Hero Turbo Sport that is pretty much exactly the same as this thing with a different motor and carb. It's even got the goofy super long goose neck intake.

I really like it. It's a very nice-riding bike.

I was looking at the hero puchs they're clone of this puch. any chance the hero-puch engine covers fit on this thing? Alan, you mind posting some pics to see if they might fit.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Why are there two front Sprockets?

The ad/hero za50's had a unique pedal mechanism. The pedals connect directly to the output shaft for starting...Thus two sprockets.

I saw a guy riding on one at blood drive 2012. Started asking him all kinds of questions about it...he didn't reply...finally somebody came up to me and said "he's from Japan! Visiting for the rally!" And that's how I met Tsuchee. Dude was great gave me a buncha swag from his club in Japan.(edited)

-Summerai - Shong /

Clean up the engine, wheels, new tires, new tail light and run it as is. Adds character with the aging parts.

> -Summerai - Shong Wrote:

> Clean up the engine, wheels, new tires, new tail light and run it as is.

> Adds character with the aging parts.

I would follow that advice.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Alex hernandez Wrote:

> I was looking at the hero puchs they're clone of this puch. any chance

> the hero-puch engine covers fit on this thing? Alan, you mind posting

> some pics to see if they might fit.

100% a clone. iirc, puch went bankrupt and the Indians bought all the patents or whatever.

I'll get some pictures of what i have tonight. Mine has pegs but it think it should line up with the pedal stuff. The ZA trans cover sticks out kinda far, so that might not fit in the plastics I have. As for sourcing the parts, I really have no idea where to get them. I dont think a lot of the Hero Puchs sold in the US. Mine is a 2001 and is 65cc stock so it's in the area of not really a moped by law.

I feel like some Indian moped facebook group or something might be a good bet or maybe Indian ebay. They made a ton of those bikes, just not really in the US. My bike came from a shop near DC that imported all kinds of weird bikes back in the day. I'm actively looking around for a place to find parts and i'll let you know if i come across anything.

Anyways, i need a speedometer drive.

I think that's the route iam going to take. grease what ever I can, tires, tubes, cables and new chains. get the motor running nice and stock. I do want to fix the seat pan though maybe the storage cubby if I can get my buddy to weld it up for me.

the Japanese mopedder is a bad ass for coming out to a rally. I have trouble leaving my state and dude put me to shame, went half way around the world for mopeds.

thanks Alan, i appreciate the help. parts for this thing are pretty much non existent. iam gonna hit up Dos see if I might get lucky. everywhere else has been a no-go. mainly just need the engine covers I found a replacement tail light lens from the honda spree works and engine parts and stuff like that treats has.(edited)

Jeremy Homser /

Does anyone know if the AD za50 has a roller crank?

from my research I believe it does. it's the same generation as the puch cobras and those have roller cranks. maybe some one with first hand experience can chime in.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Let's hope those aren't as bad as the ZA50 Supermaxi Cranks...(edited)

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

Oh here's those pictures of the covers. I can take them off if you wanna see the guts.

IMG_20190509_165638.jpg
IMG_20190509_165617.jpg

the project has begun! the plan is to restore this close to stock as possible with mild engine mods.

20190713_151150.jpg
20190713_153730.jpg

Great !

Hell yes