How fast is your moped and how did you get there?

Just wondering.

Thought it would be a fun thread.

Has anyone hit 60? 70?

Has anyone done the ton?

(Lifan swaps don't count, but heavily moded and kitted does)

Bragging is allowed, as long as you earned it. (edited)

Re: How fast is your moped and how did you get there?

Jack Rutherford /

I've had several in the pickup bed doing 80 or so. Sometimes I use a ramp or other times I just heft them in there. (edited)

Real moped? 50 mph Tomos A35. Alukit 44mm, Airsal head, Polini reed block, 19mm phbg clone, Technigas pipe. Only thing that was my doing was the Alukit.

Guy I got my e50 Puch from could get 50 out of it but he’s a chunk smaller than me. I never saw over 45. It had a 50cc TCCD kit and promo pipe. Stock carb and intake.

“50 cc” 2t? 70 mph Yamaha Minarelli engine. 70cc Polini Corsa, vForce reed block, 21mm phbg, Polini crank, Stage6 pipe, lots of transmission tuning. Took me three years of off and on tweaking and tuning to get 70 out of it. I lost a wrist pin clip and destroyed the top end about a month after getting it to that point.

Anything over 50 on these bikes is just bragging rights. As long as you can hit 45 without much effort and climb hills well they make fun daily blasters. I’m not a fan of going much over 40 on spindly spring forks and tiny drum brakes.

Single speed 30mph bikes are loads of fun, just a bit terrifying in traffic at times.

Probably Fred /

Puch magnum mild build, built over 10 years ago and still goes good:

Joe Schuitema /

My hobbit tops out at 69/70mph with stock gears and 79mph with the race gears. Topend is a scooter kit with big carb, pipe, etc. It's been to a half dozen rallies and two mopedgp events and has been very reliable.

Built a tomos A3 with alukit+techno boss+20mm mikuni+A55 streetmate wheels and suspension on a scorpion scrambler frame (heafty tube) that would det over 60. I was paced by a crotch-pickle.

Warp speed and parts made of unobtanium. I cant tell you where I got the parts.

Puch e50. Athena ajh 70cc. raised my cylinder 2.5mm decked the cylinder to 1mm squish exhaust timing around 185*. Dmp race crank.

Hi compression head.

8 petal reed block

Electronic ignition

Homoet p6 PSR Pipe

Mikuni TM24 leaner needle 4dh7 main jet 165 idle 10

17x41 hit 58mph.

Need some taller gears or a fancy cdi to push the mph up

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Normaly only going for Climbing Hills well and Cruising, so not to fast most of the time, my Maxi hit 39, maybe it was 40 with 13:45 Gearing before Spinning a Bearing, 65cc Airsal with a 15mm Bing opened up Filter and a Modified 22mm Exhaust. My Supermaxi got 17-18mph Srock, gets up to 22mph on a good day with the Cat removed and slightly upjetted, but she seems to be quite tired and has low compression, Worn Cluch, eiter Pistonslap or bad Pistonring and rhe Bearings in the Rear wheel are making noise. I use her as a run around because she is sooooo reliable, was at the Ace Cafe Lucerne Meet on Easter Monday, did actually overtake 3 Supermaxi son my way home.

My Hercules should run about 30-35 with the Windowed Piston, Decked Cylinder, "Sport" Airfilter and 28mm Exhaust, but it's still a long way to get it streetable.

I always stay at 100 mpg and 40-42 mph. If I wanna go faster there are plenty of small motorbikes for sale.

Mark Miller /

I hit high 40s on my tomos with a 70cc kit and a homoet pipe and im a fat guy. Im just wondering what you skinny hipsters are doing on variated bikes.

It's fun making slow bikes go fast. Blowing them up and starting over.

We need more kids blowing up engines and not blowing up crowds of people.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Never Blew up an Engine because of Power...

Mark Miller /

I wrecked a con rod on a chineese scooter...but that's for another forum.

Had alotta bikes, fastest was a 2 speed gripshift sachs with the lunatic airsal 80, it got over 60, highest I ever recorded was 63. it was very fast.

But apart from the very fast bikes I quickly came to recognize that 40 and reliable was much more where I wanted to ride than constantly pushing the limits, swallowing gas and destroying parts (clutches on that sachs) and sketchy late stops with way inadequate brakes. same bike later got converted back to 50cc and tuned up would max out over 45, which actually was pretty awesome, plus it got great gas mileage and worked without attention for ev er.

I'd say about maybe 3/10 bikes got kits, 2/10 stayed stock and 5/10 would get whatever cheap mods I could hack together, hackweld pipe, bigger or overbored stock or other folk's leftovers for a carb, and porting on the cylinder. That was usually almost all you needed to push at least to 40, and usually pretty reliably. Even the kitted bikes except a few where I was trying to really push it were all 40's range. steady and reliable, keep up with traffic and rally rides, carry 2 up no issue

Emil Kniemel /

This thread has been very surprisingly honest for speed claims. I remember when I first started people saying "kitted hobbit should be 60mph bike easy no problem".

7 years later my kitted hobbit is around 55mph (I've seen the GPS go higher but I don't believe it) and every mph after that is a struggle-- 70cc polini kit, MLM peoples pipe, TJT w/treats rumpus plate, VM18. I am most comfortable riding ~45mph for a top speed so what WillD is saying resonates. Unfortunately, where I live 50mph speed limits on streets is not uncommon.

The hobbit was my first and only bike. I've owned a stock 30mph puch freespirit and that was actually funner, at least around the neighborhood. On the streets is another story.

Metra 80, simo,19 phbg, 8p, hk clutch and 17x45 gearing put me at 57 with enough torque to blow the doors off a Frenchy up any hill.

Probably Fred /

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Metra 80, simo,19 phbg, 8p, hk clutch and 17x45 gearing put me at 57

> with enough torque to blow the doors off a Frenchy up any hill.

Simo and 8p pipe ?

I ran a similar set up though with a small port metra kit 19mm mm PHPG with a modified dirtbike pipe that did same speed, it ran cool with points ignition and would hold 55 mph in a 20 some mile headwind, great mpg too, it got 40-45 mpg before it would hit reserve on a small maxi tank, it had custom chopper forks, high bars, short sissy bar and had a custom banana seat, it was the only Maxi I regretted selling!

Haha, whoops meant to just say 8p, but when I had the simo on the same set up went the same speed with lower gearing, I think 15x45. Didnt have as good of launch, but when it hit the pipe it sounded like a 125cc in the power band, it was turning over 13k.

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Metra 80, simo,19 phbg, 8p, hk clutch and 17x45 gearing put me at 57

>

> > with enough torque to blow the doors off a Frenchy up any hill.

>

> Simo and 8p pipe ?

>

> I ran a similar set up though with a small port metra kit 19mm mm PHPG

> with a modified dirtbike pipe that did same speed, it ran cool with

> points ignition and would hold 55 mph in a 20 some mile headwind, great

> mpg too, it got 40-45 mpg before it would hit reserve on a small maxi

> tank, it had custom chopper forks, high bars, short sissy bar and had a

> custom banana seat, it was the only Maxi I regretted selling!

I'm loving that bike without even seeing pictures!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account