Tomos transmission fluid

Finn Thor Heyer /

Hey everybody,

i have been using normal atf oil for a long time now. It has always worked fine for me but i wanted to try another type of oil. Atf oil is kinda hard to find in my area and on top of that it is really expensive. What other kind of oil can i use in my tomos transmission. i was thinking about 5w30, would that work?

Re: Tomos transmission fluid

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

It'll be fine. I would reline your clutches though, it may mess with the stock pads.

And, A55 tomos have a sticker on the left side of the frame that specifies 10-w30 for the transmission.

But, you could order ATF online pretty cheaply, I think I got a case of 6 quarts of Mag1 type F for $25

I run nd30

You can alter the shift point by making the fluid "thicker" and or increasing the volume numerous posts on the subject. It makes for quite a difference.

Finn Thor Heyer /

How does my shifting react to the thicker oil?

It shifts kinda late now, the shifting itself takes long too. Do you think it will legthen or shorten the shifting time?

> Finn Thor Heyer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How does my shifting react to the thicker oil?

>

> It shifts kinda late now, the shifting itself takes long too. Do you

> think it will legthen or shorten the shifting time?

Shift faster and firmer. At least mine does

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Finn Thor Heyer Wrote:

> How does my shifting react to the thicker oil?

>

> It shifts kinda late now, the shifting itself takes long too. Do you

> think it will legthen or shorten the shifting time?

Your 2nd gear clutch pads may be glazed, happens sometimes. Makes the shift happen late or not at all

I thought thicker oil delays shifting?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Three parts Marvel Mystery Oil the one part Castrol synthetic ATF no matter it will swell the seals and the pads and grab pretty quick L shift sooner

I've got a concoction in there. Type f + Castrol gear oil + sulfur as I recall. CW special !! So it's kinda a fun setup because it screams up in first gear and then it has a longish shift to second and then hits the pipe so sweetly that it feels like u r on a rocket launch... Basically stock plus biturbo + upjet + Ken's filter. Yes the clutch is Kevlar. Fun ride.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> I've got a concoction in there. Type f + Castrol gear oil + sulfur as I

Marc,sulphur will eat yer gears and bearings. OLD gear oil used to have it and they quit using it because of the corrosiveness. Just letting you know what happened in the 50s and maybe a little later.

Don .. good to know !! I'll change it. Sulfur is quite a reactive element as I recall.

Nevertheless the combo is a blast. Sounds potentially a short lived blast.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> Nevertheless the combo is a blast. Sounds potentially a short lived

> blast.

Yeah, after being lectured by an old garage mechanic, I made sure to never buy any grease or differential gear oil with Sulphur.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Now the sulfur thing that was with peanut oil and that is original Valvoline suffix a substitute it's with Tomas used to use when you could buy the Mercedes passenger cars clutch oil I actually released the recipe for Blaster oil

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account