Farthest pedal?

This weekend I joined in our 20th annual booze cruise Grand Teton No Motor ride. The National Park opes the roads for a few weeks to non-motorized travel while the snow still melts off major trails. This means it's full of bikes. This is a word of mouth event every year and people wear costumes and bring kegs in baby carriages. This year I decided to pedal my Puch. I'm in pretty good shape, but the total length turned out to be 9 miles round-trip instead of what I thought was about a 6-7 mile round trip.

I wasn't worried about lagging behind, and most of my friends thought the irony of my Puch on the "no-motor" ride was great.

What's the farthest you've ever had to pedal either out of necessity or for fun?

_20190428_133834.JPG

(edited)

Re: Farthest pedal?

Two miles, I rode my Vespa to the motorcycle shop to order a tube. It would not start when I went to leave. I am a noob , it was my first time cranking that ped. Probably won't be the last.

kevin Smellaflange /

the moby has a sweet velo option...

prolly 'bout 1/2 mile...ran out of gas & had it already on reserve, i was 14 years old & that was the only time.

Teton's been there a few times....2 miles on a tomos...4 miles on a puch. I find walking them a little easier. 8 miles walking one. If I'm to far out, and cant fix it, and the wife is not riding with me, I call the wife to get me. I would never pedal my Italian bikes ever! I can walk faster :) Hold up, my vespa grande pedals well, but I've never had to. (edited)

Probably Fred /

Yeah you did right by disconnecting the drive chain on you otherwise you can’t pedal it much at all because it spins the tranny/tranny parts with chain being connected

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

About 6 miles, I rode my Batavus Starflite out of town to see how hot it would get after a prolonged ride. Then when I stopped at the little spot on the side of the road, I remembered...right after I had turn of. The bike that the points were dirty and unless I had acetone with me, it would not start. Being the intelligent human that I am I did not bring acetone with me, so I ended up pedaling 100lbs+ of sadness and shame 6 miles back to my house.

It was “Open Streets” in Charlotte this weekend. They block off miles of city streets for pedestrians and bicycles. Instead of taking the detour around I pedaled my Ciao about 4 blocks. That was enough for me. Idk how you did a Maxi for 9 mi. I don’t like to even pedal mine to start it.

I don't pedal them other than to start them, they are geared way too low to make the effort worth it. It is easier to walk with it. On a Moby you need to slip the belt off rather than use the switch from hell on the pulley.

Josiah Radebaugh /

^^^ Gearing is absolute trash. And that garbage switch. I've never pedaled. Just walked an coast. Had my throttle cable Break had to walk, pedal and coast about 2 miles. Usually just walk.

pedaled a grande about 2 miles

Josiah Radebaugh /

^Oh yeah, did about the same with around 10-15 psi in the tires. A trash grear ratio, low tire pressure and wet slippery pedals made for a fun ride.

Maybe 30 meters? Mopeds weren't meant to be pedalled.

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

I pedaled a maxi 4-5 miles after it broke down only to realize that I just needed to switch the petcock to reserve.

kevin smellaflange /

my honda camino i borroed from A-Zed broke down

i peded back to his garage

I remember in one of the commercials I've seen for the maxi the narrator says, Johnny is going to pedal his moped around the block once a week for a cardio work out.

My jawa seems to have a good pedaling gear. I only rode it a mile at the most.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I've pedalled at least 8 miles, and pushed the damn Urban Express at least 4 miles. I still want to put the pedal parts from a px50 on an Urban.

haha, that's one of the best pedal stories I've heard. and some cold suds to keep you company? nice.

Definitely some bikes are better than others, pedaling a tomos is brutal, but the kriedler and flandrias I've ridden were able to pedal at a decent pace.

I pushed/pedaled a dead moby about 7 miles in Atlanta after it screwed me at the farthest point of a sunday ride, and in Nashville one year I dropped a (reused - idiot) circlip about 4-5 mi from the shop, had to walk back - noped Express Sr... But pushing's about as easy as pedaling and you still hop on to roll down the hills. Spent that walk with Mike Best who turned out to be a pretty great dude.

Another time i'd picked up a complete CR80 motor I intended to mix & match with my MB5, ran outta gas and pushed the bike, with a 50+ lb motor in a dufflebag on the seat, for almost 3 mi to a gas station. that was the worst one for sure.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account