DIY Bike post or rack?

Has anybody made a outdoor bike post or bike rack? I'm trying to figure out a way to add a little bike post to my backyard. Everything I've seen online wants to anchor down into a sidewalk problem is I don't have any sidewalk in my backyard so I'm looking sticking a post in the ground and filling it with concrete so it can't be pulled out easily.

Re: DIY Bike post or rack?

Get a galvanixed fence post :

Drill toward the bottom end and insert a bolt so a couple inches stick out each side . Then drill holes for a U bolt toward the top for a cable or chain . Jam the threads when the U bolt is in place , so it's not easily removed .

Dig a 2 - 3 foot deep hole . Post hole digger does a nice job .

Set the bolted post in the hole and pour concrete mix around it, right to the surface . Add a bit of water as you pour the crete into the hole . It doesn't have to be mixed prior as the crete absorbs the water completely . Straighten the post and let it set up .

You can buy a decorative cap for the post to make it look pretty :

CAP

They usually have bike racks scattered around downtown areas of most city's. I got a nice one out side the library near where I live.

I don't know what a post is or what it's for.

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> They usually have bike racks scattered around downtown areas of most

> city's. I got a nice one out side the library near where I live.

>

> I don't know what a post is or what it's for.

cheetahs basically saying go downtowntown and lift one that u like.

Sorry . Forgot to give a link for the concrete mix :

Quikcrete

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Just over insure it and hope somebody steals it

Do you have the capability to bend steal? Use a fence post like pat said, bend it in a U shape and use quickcrete to embed it in the ground.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Get a little yappy dog and a 12 gauge full of rock salt

Captain Janeway /

The tweakers in our area have cut down stop signs or whatever that are about the size of that post. If you're going to use one make sure it's tall as they've also just lifted them off as well.

I just use u locks, a cover, bolt down to something solid and hope for the best. It's all you can really do. If they want your bike, someone will find a way through your locks.

I helped start up and worked for a bicycle co-op while I was in Atlanta. We made a few bike racks out of old bike frames - we got so many in, you took the parts off the worst ones to make the good ones work. Get 4 bikes and make 3 working ones, the 4th shot frame we'd simple weld em to rails. There was a group the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition that used some of our racks to setup temporary bike parking for fairs and events, we even ran bike valet a few times which turned out to be a lotta fun and sometimes the events would even pay (big ones like cirque d soleil)

but yea, that works - it doesn't need to be bike frames either, hit up a scrapyard and see what looks good, pay scrap weight prices and zap it all together!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account