Is rewiring actually necessary?

I see a lot of posts regarding rewiring or hard wiring mopeds.

I can understand replacing 40 year old wires if they have disintegrated or replacing connectors if they no longer make contact. I can understand removing the headlight switch from the equation so the lights are always on. I can also understand removing a horn that cannot be heard over the sound of the engine.

Admittedly, most of my bikes are stock Minarelli, none have CDI or turn signals, and the wiring harnesses are almost all the same and pretty simple, so I haven't been exposed to too many different systems.

But if these bikes worked fine out of the factory 40 years ago, why do so many feel the need to rewire?

Then they complain that something no longer works properly.

Re: Is rewiring actually necessary?

You don't need to rewire. Just troubleshoot,replace a bad switch or two, make sure the coils are doing their job in the magneto.

Shine up any corroded connections.

I agree. The only moving parts on many of these harnesses are the micro switches on the brake levers, the kill switch, and the headlight / horn switch. Some of my Minarelli's have a ceramic resistor in the tail light, some do not. Always check your light bulbs.

I got back into mopeds really bad 2 years ago. I had 2 bikes at the beginning of 2017. Now I have 16 and 5 parts bikes. I took #4 to a motorcycle mechanic and he got it running in 3 hours of work. The problem? The connections on the kill switch needed cleaning. Luckily, the guy doesn't charge too much.(edited)

Copper corrodes and develops cracks. Plastics break down with age.

That said I usually only rewire things because previous owners have hacked things up so much I’m tired of chasing shorts.

Dirty30 Dillon /

If left stock and unmolested, there is very little reason why a bike should need rewiring outside of cleaning contacts and grounds.

The biggest issue is that people tend to delve into the harness in an attempt to simplify the system so that they can just get spark, or just keep things basic.

If you spend like half a day researching AC magneto ignitions and how they function, you can develop a greater understanding of how all combustion engine wiring systems and standards are setup.

I agree that it's generally a waste to rewire a ten year old bike, but a 40 year old bike is going to have questionable wiring even if unmolested.

If it tests good , it likely is good .

I always recommend ALL electrical connections be shiny clean and scratch tight .

Short of hard wiring , that^ is the best approach .

If wiring has been hamfisted and cooked , definitely replace it .

If you want cheap insurance , rewire .

Fix or repair as needed, anything else can be a real bitch and can make more work then you want to get in to.

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I agree that it's generally a waste to rewire a ten year old bike, but a

> 40 year old bike is going to have questionable wiring even if

> unmolested.

I agree it'll have questionable connections, but wires will usually be fine. If insulation on wires shows cracks or damage, of course,replace it.

Hobbit wiring is very Japanese in essence. And often if not exposed to raw weather is very resistant to aging.

Vespa wiring is also pretty good but isn't quite as enduring.

Tomos wiring uses thinner gauge and has greater complexities in the 2011 s I have. Plus they were uninterested in placement of the wiring vs a vs moving parts.

My magnum is entirely a home made wiring loom and because I wanted 12 v dc is very complex. It is great when it all works but too many wires that don't have a factory made home.

A hard wire of just ignition and lights is not that complex to make but even adding brake lights requires a whole lot of complexities. People who ride without a brake light just seem insane to me unless u have places to ride without cars.

To wire things up with valid color coded multistrand 20g wire with nukeproof connectors require a hefty investment.

I buy oem vintage connectors off the internet. But making a functional wiring harness is a super blast.

Worst wiring connections I've seen are on my India made Hero-Majestics. Hit a bump, you might lose connection.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account