crash course:survival tips

♣Slew Foot♣ /

*DISCLAIMER: due to the nature of Chaos and the universe. this is not to be taken as a definitive guide to definitely survive. the foregoing is an attempt 2 minimize any damages two person excuse the voice app.

Most of us we have been riding mopeds long enough I've experienced the odd mishap or happenstance or misbegotten day you woke up anyways I just thought that it would be nice to have a little section here have you ever had something happened on the moped that you might have tips on avoiding I'm not going to go first but I have quite a few discuss

Re: crash course:survival tips

kevin Smellaflange /

(A) HANDLE BAR PHONE MOUNTS ARE CRASHES IN DISGUISED...JUST DON'T LOOK AT THEM WHILE RIDING.

(B) LANE SPLITTING SAVES LIVES

(C) LAWS SHOULD ALLOW ''QUICK BIKES'' TO BE USED AT THE STOP LIGHT...''COP'' RIGHTS YOU UP...FAILURE TO USE CARE WHEN STARTING...$100. FINE

(D) SLOW ''NON QUICK'' BIKES ARE DANGEROUS

I'm not clear on what C is trying to say.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Actually I was thinking more in the line of it already happened like say when you're negotiating a corner and you know it's too sharp you can't do anything you know you're going to hit the road Edge like into the gutter or something sometimes it's better to hop the curb and go for shrubbery yes Shrubbery is your friend Nique Nique if given any other object to hit Shrubbery is a good choice not a tree not a fire hydrant not a parked car not ripping and lose your balance going around the corner and hitting the curb orlo ending oh never ever carry anything around your neck that can slide closed with the slack and out Princeton I had a duffel bag and I was coming from the laundromat and it got caught in my freaking Spokes and worked like a come around and almost killed me also bag of potatoes bag of potatoes bag of potatoes when you roll you are a bag of potatoes keep your arms in

I had an old helmet with a snap strap on the back that your goggles go thru. I was wearing a backpack that has that loop on the top.

While riding in a tuck, the loop on the backpack hooked over the helmet strap, and when I tried to straighten up, my head was stuck looking straight up at the sky, and the chin strap was strangling me.

Didn't crash, but close. Scared the piss out of me.

kevin Smellaflange /

(C)...is trying to say; stoplight take-offs should be legal.

instead of 'failure to use care when starting'.

in DC it's a drag race from 1 light 2 the other.

( i don't mean DC comics )

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If I am in a turn lane turning left I usually well pre start and cut in front before the light actually changes but it's red on the other side making sure it's clear obviously that there's nobody turning right that way you don't get rear-ended and killed like Seth Z did...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Back to class kitties the one thing you want to avoid is being surprised always always look all over always check your rearview always know what's behind you always look ahead look for Pat's around if you have have to I mean if you're in Philly you got to go to Pat's anyways damn voice app you got to keep yourself a safe distance from the car in front of you yet not enough that it makes some idiot want to rip out in front I learned that the hard way but my observational skills were dead on and you did never want to try to stop so hard that you hurt yourself I mean if you lose control that's it if you have to put down your feet and strain your back to stop you're better off just hitting them if you think you can avoid them and you go around and get hurt it's all on you

TUCK & ROLL

♣Slew Foot♣ /

When I said it's all on you I meant the medical bills because motorcycle insurance is full tort and you have to sue for them

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

in pa, all motorcycle policies are full tort, which is what allows you the right to sue for pain and suffering.

However, motorcycle policies do not carry a medical rider, so if you fuck yourself up, you’ll want to have a health insurance policy or deep pockets.

I am relatively new to mopeds but I've been riding motorcycles, big and small, for over four decades. For nearly 20 years I've been a nationally certified motorcycle skills instructor. I am going to go out on a limb and say mopeds aren't much different than motorcycles. The physics are the same, even if the speeds and power output are not.

When I read things like "I had to lay it down" or "give up and head for the curb", I cringe. The object of riding is not crashing. Motorbikes of all sizes stop and turn a lot faster on their tires than on their sides. If you're coming into a curve at a speed you sense to be "too fast", don't give up. You may be out of your comfort zone but you're probably not out of traction. You almost always have more traction and ground clearance than you think. Look into the curve and press harder on the inside (low) bar. Press right, go right. Press left, go left. Don't ever give up, ride it and you'll probably be OK. Now I will put away the soapbox. Thanks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account