What did I just buy ?

kevin sauerwald /

so I was at a swap meet and picked this little puppy up for cheap..

to bad.. its got all sorts of issues.. I think the rear brake caliper is frozen.. and

pretty sure this engine is toast..

so....

1. what is this ? I cant seem to find pictures of this when I google Avanti bikes

2. worth repairing ?

its definitely a Garelli moped engine on it..

576939058.jpg
IMG_3871.jpg

Re: What did I just buy ?

I'd fix it but I'm a sucker for garelli's.

Avanti X Bike Cross. They’re rad.

Always strange to see, such a roached out motor on a clean bike. Numbers match?

kevin sauerwald /

you tell me ?? These are the numbers we found

IMG_0880.jpg
IMG_0882.jpg

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

I have a bottom end with a blown up second gear clutch Bell that otherwise looks ok if youre interested. It's crusty, but not as crusty as yours lol

I think avanti's goal was to make the dumbest looking bikes they could. They're badass(edited)

> DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> I think avanti's goal was to make the dumbest looking bikes they could.

> They're badass

the best part is how far out of their way they went to make it extra stupid looking

It's actually pretty sedate compared to most minibikes marketed towards 7 year olds.

I think it's cool that everything is fiberglass and not abs

> kevin sauerwald Wrote:

> you tell me ?? These are the numbers we found

My suspicion looks to be true. Not matching. I suppose it is easier to unload a bike that appears to be complete. Your call, anything can be fixed at price. In the end you have something to ride, but may never get back what ya have in it. I've seen a few of these being sold locally for under $200. 2 that ran/rode, but wouldn't idle. Typical Garelli MO. Stupid rubber clutch's.....

Jimmy Cincinnati /

its definitely a Garelli moped engine on it..

To be fair, its a clone garelli motor. I have mixed feelings on Avanti stuff. The ones ive seen had beefy / heavy wheels, somewhat decent plastics, and crap electrics / controls.

It would make a fun pit bike, but only if you can fix it on the cheap. I wouldnt advise spending much money on it as it just isnt worth much. But different strokes for different folks!

Didn't these JUST come up in another thread?

It's like the magnum X of garelli. not really, but VIP clone is cool. and some were 60-ish cc factory? I really dig them and want more small bikes in my garage. If I'm gonna have too many bikes it'd be easier if they were smaller

Will, I found that black one with the flames and had Sean mohoot grab it, that’s probably the thread you’re thinking of! that one is the 70cc jug stock.

kevin sauerwald /

so can you slap another motor on here ? or do I need to another Garelli or clone ?

You think that clutch can just be cleaned up ? the piston looks good. Just wondering if I can use some rust cleaner and grease it back up and have it work ok ?

> kevin sauerwald Wrote:

> so can you slap another motor on here ? or do I need to another Garelli

> or clone ?

>

> You think that clutch can just be cleaned up ? the piston looks good.

> Just wondering if I can use some rust cleaner and grease it back up and

> have it work ok ?

What all parts do you need for it?

You’ll want to break the whole engine down and clean everything thoroughly to get that crud out of every nook and cranny, rebuild with new bearings, seals and gaskets.

rebuild is the best bet. if you slap another motor in there's not much room - gotta have that vertical cylinder or you'll be knocking into the front wheel. I bet a morini s6 would fit, those rip epic dicks off everything and the clones are cheap enough. I don't know how they really are reliability-wise though. didn't have a ton of luck in that aspect lol. Fix the VIP, those parts are accessible - cheapest and most responsible/respectable answer

Dirty30 Dillon /

> kevin sauerwald Wrote:

> You think that clutch can just be cleaned up ?

From the photo above, your clutch bell looks exploded and to be missing a huge chunk.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > kevin sauerwald Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > You think that clutch can just be cleaned up ?

>

> From the photo above, your clutch bell looks exploded and to be missing

> a huge chunk.

That's my clutch bell, and is definitely exploded.

kevin sauerwald /

my engine it the top top photo.. that other one is someone showing me his. his is definitely missing some metal.. ha ha

Did you fix it?

> Kurt Van Luven Wrote:

> Did you fix it?

> Can you fix it?

> Will you fix it?

I just rebuilt 3 vip engines. Pretty easy bikes, but also very easy to slingshot a micro part into oblivion and never run again.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account