Re: Mopeds to stay away from and ones to cherish (advice for a noob)

classic

♣Slew Foot♣ /

My first was a Batavus vs it's M48 engine is the very simplest of any engine and it taught me a lot about how two strokes work including the clutch and the stator but because the parts are really hard to find in good order it was more of a challenge than it should have been I would also vote push Tomas minerally and start stocking up on Metric tools

My advice, don't buy anything not running. They all "were running when parked". That means, when they quit running, they were parked. Or they were put away, sat, and a gallon of gas mix evaporated away in the carb, which is now plugged full of garbage. My first moped was a Motobecane. This was back around 1988 when you could buy a moped for $40 - $50 all day long. I took the cylinder off it when I was 14, found I had broken piston rings, and it's still up in the barn, 20 years later. I had re geared that thing, and it would do almost 40. Of course I weighed almost nothing then. So don't be afraid of the Italian bikes... The Motobecane in the right model is a beautiful bike, shiny and chrome, a work of art.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I suppose what ever speaks to you. "Ones to cherish". When I set out to but my first bike, i was on my way to pick up a V esps Bravo but came home with Peugeot that day. Came across many. Passed em up. So if your determined to learn, ride and most importantly work on your bike... Get what you want. I would suggest if you come across something particulary rare and hard to find parts for you might want to avoid it or at least go in knowing and fully expecting the trouble.

its all been stated before but an e50 is a solid choice. easiest wet clutch motor. minarellis are a little more complicated. not by much but yea. and ill also second dillon that vespas are silly easy as well. like SUCH an easy motor to rebuild, one seal you can pop in after the cases are back together. and like a hobbit (also peugeot and moby but ima leave them out of this) the rest of the drive train is outside the motor so its cool to get to know what makes your little scoot go. Like a simple ciao with a basic rebuild and left stock or dr or olympia kit will not let you down. people hoot and holler about tomos and they are great and run a good long while but the rebuilds are more intensive and if you throw power (kit) at them the start messing clutches

Francois Labat /

Do not get a peugeot 102.

Just dont.

Peugeot is a great ped but since they do not employ a flywheel key, ignition timing takes experience. Every brand has its positives and its quirks. Except I Dian. They are just shit from end to end

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account