Garelli Monza gt

Anthony Sanchez /

So I’m thinking of buying this garelli monza in CA!

He wants 1200$ for it, is that too high or fair for a bike in this condition?

0D0573D5-3CC6-4F4A-B3C5-9985D1B3A3C5.jpeg
DA12CE08-2ACC-46A9-8232-EC1F3CAA8A48.jpeg

Re: Garelli Monza gt

It really just depends on what you want. To me that's a little high but it also has a good bit of work in it and it is clean. I'd rather have fenders but others wouldn't. Also there is no bolt on kits or pipes for it so keep that in mind also.

Anthony Sanchez /

Thanks! Dang I thought I could maybe get a kit :/

Josiah Radebaugh /

That is one minty bike! And I dont even do garelli...

> Anthony Sanchez Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks! Dang I thought I could maybe get a kit :/

The garelli team kit with a 5mm base spacer, a custom intake, pipe and reeds from treats and you can kit it. Even with the parts from treats you're probably going to have to modify them because they are made for the VIP.

Anthony Sanchez /

Rad! Thank you so much!!

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

This bike was the top post on Reddit r/moped for a while.

Those photos are from 5 years ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/moped/comments/1hq7lu/finally_finished_my_frameoff_garelli_monza_project

Anthony Sanchez /

Pretty wild! The bike was bought by a journalist from Switzerland. He bought it from a motorcycle shop in LA. I Saw the bike a month ago, still looks exactly the same. It’s just been in storage haha! The owner left it with his buddy and got over shipping it to Switzerland..

I've seen it in person and it's a clean build. If you don't kind having to custom make stuff than go for it. If you want parts availability there's a fast magnum on Los Angeles craigslist. I assume that's where this monza is located.

Anthony Sanchez /

Okay cool. It’s located in Costa Mesa! Are parts pretty hard to find for this bike?

Anthony Sanchez /

Like if I needed a new clutch down the road would I be able to get one off like treats or something?

That's a VIP engine right? Not super plentiful but everything is around.

I think I have 3 Avanti engines in a milk crate around here somewhere.ha

Anthony Sanchez /

I’m not too sure on that! But it does look like the VIP!

> Anthony Sanchez Wrote:

> I’m not too sure on that! But it does look like the VIP!

No it's not the VIP engine. Not even close.the only thing on it that's from the VIP is the engine cases and the ignition. The clutch is from the noi.

Anthony Sanchez /

Thank you stephen!! How do you like your monza?

> Anthony Sanchez Wrote:

> Thank you stephen!! How do you like your monza?

It's different, feels more like a motorcycle than a moped. I'm not a speed demon so they are fine because they feel stable. Parts are not easy to find but can be found. You probably will not find a cylinder for it except for used. If you take care of it it will last. (edited)

is there a particular benefit to the monza engine? hell, maybe a vip engine would be a swap candidate? i assume the stroke is different huh....

why in the world would they import a similar but totally different engine to the us back then.....that had to be a pain for the dealers/service centers...

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> is there a particular benefit to the monza engine? hell, maybe a vip

> engine would be a swap candidate? i assume the stroke is different

> huh....

>

> why in the world would they import a similar but totally different

> engine to the us back then.....that had to be a pain for the

> dealers/service centers...

The VIP engine will bolt right in with the exception that you'll have to extend the top head mount a little. The Monza and VIP has the same stroke but the Monza had a 5mm longer connecting rod. I'm not sure how well the VIP exhaust will work with the frame though.

Anthony Sanchez /

Update::: I purchased the bike for 1100!! Super stoked on it! So clean! Had been sitting for 5 years and started right up!! Max mph 27... hoping to get it a little faster

> Anthony Sanchez Wrote:

> Update::: I purchased the bike for 1100!! Super stoked on it! So clean!

> Had been sitting for 5 years and started right up!! Max mph 27... hoping

> to get it a little faster

How much faster?

Anthony Sanchez /

35-40 would be nice!

> Anthony Sanchez Wrote:

> 35-40 would be nice!

What size is the front sprocket?

Anthony Sanchez /

I will check on that! Thanks!!

Here’s what it still looks like :)

25F27111-4469-457D-9A8F-E55E896D3576.jpeg
48476956-76EC-4400-8931-14CD549E6CF8.jpeg
C99D8A41-8703-470E-A130-860FE4686BE8.jpeg

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

Whoa. That bike is fuckin' sweet!!!

The cylinder on those look huge and probably have room for porting but that's just a guess. You can definitely weld on an expansion chamber onto the header and probably upgrade the carb and get a couple more mph out of that bike. 1100 is a decent price for that build. Follow @woollybullies on Instagram come out to the next ride whenever we do something so I can see that bike in action. Last time I saw it was at a 2 stroke function at Deus Ex Machina.

For what you paid, you got a great deal. Im sure he has way more than that in it. Not to mention all his time and love to get it to that condition.

Anthony Sanchez /

Forsure thanks. Yeah the cylinders huge!! Tonight I would atleast hit in the 30s. Gonna have to look into that! I gave it follow!!! That’s right before the bike got sold haha. Then sat in storage for 5 years...

Anthony Sanchez /

> Anthony Sanchez Wrote:

> Forsure thanks. Yeah the cylinders huge!! Tonight I would atleast hit in

> the 30s. Gonna have to look into that! I gave it follow!!! That’s right

> before the bike got sold haha. Then sat in storage for 5 years...

Thought****

did ya change the "non-detergent" oil before starting it up?

just be careful, man

they're pretty rare and if you break something engine wise (ex: pedal the shit out of it and break the internal chain drive) get ready to crack the cases or pay some jerkoff on ebay 500 for a beat up replacement engine that "may" run

its an antique, treat it like one and your kids will ride it one day. if you wanna thrash, grab a beat up Maxi as a daily and only take out the Monza when you want the girlz to chase you down the street

Also, 27mph is way low.

you should be hitting 32-35 easily

but before you start pulling shit off it start with jet sizes in the carb and go from there (intake, carb, exhaust)

nice bike, take good care of her

Anthony Sanchez /

I haven’t changed the oil yet. It’s SAe30 I read. Yeahh I recently got a maxi that’s what I’m gonna do haha! I was pulling the clutch

Lever today and the wire snapped out.. I tried to put it back together but the tension wasn’t tight enough.. the original little bolt hole that the wire goes through the bolt doesn’t smash the wire in so it doesn’t hold... pain in the ass haha

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account